[HOW TO]return to stock (gingerbread) from revolutionary or normal hboot(11/2/11)

Search This thread

hrdnhvy

Feb 28, 2010
Let me make sure I have this right, so the file: PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.9.zip Is the 2.11.605.9 rom itself? with corresponding radios?

hrdnhvy

Feb 28, 2010
I tried dling the no_hboot file 3x from the mirror link & cant get a matching md5 thats in the op by the link.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Oh, wow, also just realized that after dling the no_hboot in the mirror link shows file size to be only 316 bytes, & at the alexus blog sites link shows it to be 441 mb...316 bytes seems kinda (lol) small for a full rom.

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
I tried dling the no_hboot file 3x from the mirror link & cant get a matching md5 thats in the op by the link.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Oh, wow, also just realized that after dling the no_hboot in the mirror link shows file size to be only 316 bytes, & at the alexus blog sites link shows it to be 441 mb...316 bytes seems kinda (lol) small for a full rom.

hmm,not sure what youre doing... but when i click the mirror link for no hboot,it goes to a wupload llink that is defiantely the no hboot file. clicking the hboot only link on the first post goes to media fire,and is definately hboot only.

use the mirrors on the first post and you should be fine :)

bobz1993

May 28, 2011
Glendale
bobzent.info
How necessary is the bootloader downgrade?

My bad phone has a broken usb port and so I really can't adb. I can pop the sd card in the computer to transfer files though. If simply flashing the stock firmware will get enough of the job done, I'll go for that.

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
How necessary is the bootloader downgrade?

depends on your level of paranoia ;) :p

while vzw has said that they dont check for rooted devices,even sending out refurbs that are still rooted,it still may be possible that someone have a bad day,check,and care,and slap your account with a $500-whatever the retail value is,as rooting technically did void your warranty.

so if this is a vzw warranty claim,may want to go thru the extra steps to unroot,you can use adb over wirelss(assuming you can find a PC to use where theres wireless :eek:) and these directions here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...underbolt-root-unroot-thread.html#post3272198

if this is an asurion warranty claim and youre paying the deductible,then it doesn matter. they could give a crap whats wrong with it as long as youve paid the premiums and deductible.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobz1993

shoot2scre

Aug 11, 2010
Detroit
I flashed the first, no_boot file just fine.

When I rebooted afterwards... I couldn't get the phone back into hboot to flash the second, hboot_on file.

Did I just screw this up?

EDIT: Had to turn on USB Debugging... adb working now.

Last edited:

Pupalei

Mar 12, 2011
No Download

I'm having no luck, neither with the main link nor the mirror for the first fill ("no_hboot"). The multi-upload can't be found and the mirror just sits there asking me to upgrade to premium.

Any ideas?

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
Not sure why you're having trouble. Free wupload is still working fine for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

Pupalei

Mar 12, 2011
Not sure why you're having trouble. Free wupload is still working fine for me.

Thanks for the response.

I finally found the download button. I'm usually able to spot the real button in the midst of all the garbage ads, but this one was pretty sneaky. Anyway, got it, thanks again.

Last edited:

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
Cool. Glad u got it. Was just about to try and describe it for ya :)

Reactions: Pupalei

ltredbeard

Apr 7, 2011
so the OP says that having an updated hboot via revolutionary wont stop OTA updates. does the same apply to the hboot we placed on the phone using jcase's original root?

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
so the OP says that having an updated hboot via revolutionary wont stop OTA updates. does the same apply to the hboot we placed on the phone using jcase's original root?

that is correct. the hboot does not care about updates to the OS,and will let them happen. however,if an OTA happens to contain a hboot update(eventually they will want everyone on 1.05 or newer),the original eng 1.04.2000 hboot will happily allow itself to be overwritten,thus losing your s-off.

if losing s-off is something you care about,i would recoment to flash shadowmites permanent hboot,wich will protect itself from being overwritten during an OTA :)

Reactions: ltredbeard

ltredbeard

Apr 7, 2011
thanks...i had no idea that the OTA didnt look for the hboot. does it just see the SU files and freak out?

im not concerned about losing s-off b/c its my secondary phone now and im going to let a friend use it.

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
no,it actually doesnt care about the su files either. all an OTA cares about is the stock recovery to install it.

phones were freaking out when the OTAs hit because clockwork,twrp,and whatever custom recoverys folks were running are NOT capable of installing new software/firmware from an OTA update.

ltredbeard

Apr 7, 2011
no,it actually doesnt care about the su files either. all an OTA cares about is the stock recovery to install it.

phones were freaking out when the OTAs hit because clockwork,twrp,and whatever custom recoverys folks were running are NOT capable of installing new software/firmware from an OTA update.

ok so you would need a stock recovery to receive the OTA, correct?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ THIS:
    i have removed the dead multiupload links that have for some reason been causing an extreme amount of confusion. i thot the "mirror" following each link was self explanitory,but apparently not. :rolleyes:

from this point forward,i will no longer respond to "links are dead" posts or PMs if i check them and find them to be working.

in other words,yes,the links are working.

between the newer firmware,and having to execute extra steps if rotoed with revolutionary,the old thread seems to be causing some confusuion. i thot maybe it would help if i threw it up here as well

its geared toward a revolutionary rooter who doesnt have adb set up,so sorry if its a little insulting to more advanced users ;)

last and not least,if you rooted old skool,and just need to flash mr2 files,just skip the part detailing getting the old 1.04.2000 eng hboot back. go directly to: Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

as soon as the GB OTA hits for real:)eek:) i will update this with those files.

*please read all directions first. post up any questions you have before doing anythingyou are messing with your bootloader,wich is a vital part of your phones operation. screwing it up WILL make your phone an expensive paperweight. :eek:

how to unroot
    the revolutionary method of rooting uses a sneeky hboot exploit,and replaces your stock 1.04.0000 or 1.05.0000 bootloader with a modified permanent hboot. it not only gives you all the same fashboot flash abilities as the original engineering bootloader,but it very effectively blocks other hboots for overwriting it. its good,as you will remain s-off if you accidentally flash a full RUU,or accept an OTA,but makes it a little trickier to remove.

for the time being, removal requires ADB to be set up and running and some commands entered in "fastboot" to to allow the permanent hboot to be overwritten. once an "s-on" tool is release,ill take th is part of this guide down.

if you rooted the old skool manual way and have adb setup and working,you can use this guide to remove the permanent hboot.

with Revolutionary,will come a new wave of rooters that have no clue what adb,or fastboot even are. for you folks, Sele and the crew in the "rescue sguad" at HTC Thunderbolt Forum have come up with a really clever way to get the adb basics,and the eng bootloader to flash,with minimal setup and confusion. with their permission,im borrowing it for our guide here.

*WARNING* no siginture or file checks will be done flashing the new bootloader in hboot or fastboot.fastboot will literally flash "lets golf" as a bootloader if you tell it to. DO NOT mess with your hboot unless absolutely neccessary to return to stock for warranty purposes. if youre just tired of being rooted,flash the gingerbread ruu to get back to unrooted firmware and factory recovery. leaving the revolutionary s-off bootloader in place is the safest,and best option,and will not affect your ability to recieve OTAs.

*AGAIN- if youre just following this procedure because youre tired of being rooted,skip this next section and leave the permanent hboot in place. jump to "Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone" and flash only the first "PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.9" file(you can flash the 2nd file too if you want,but the permanent hboot will block it ;))

Setting up adb and removing the permanent hboot if youve never used adb before
    1)if you no longer have the htc drivers that you installed when rooting with revolutionary,download them again from here on revolutionarys website.
    2)next download *link removed (mirror)to somewhere convenient that youll be able to find it,like your desktop,or a "downloads" folder. it contains the old eng 1.40.2000 s-off hboot,and the bare minumum tools to install it.
    3)the following directions were using windows 7 and chrome browser. other OS may be slightly different-the end result is you want unzipped,inside tbolt folder to be on the root of your C: drive.
    -find the tbolt.zipdownload
    -click on tbolt.zip download and open it.
    -inside tbolt.zip,there is a folder labled tbolt. drag it to the root of C:. inside tbolt is the unpermanent hboot and some adb tools.
    4) charge your Thunderbolt to 100%
    5)click on then "start" bubble in the lower left corner of your screen. type "command" in the search window and hit enter. this will open a small black command window.
    6)enter the following command(by typing or copy/paste):
    Code:
    cd c:\tbolt
    you should see your promt in the window change to: c:\tbolt>
    7)enter the follwing command:
    Code:
    md5sums hbooteng.nb0
    check the output on the command window. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. the command must equal exactly 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb if it does not,STOP!. delete the tbolt.zip download,and the unzipped tbolt folder from C:,re download and try it again. again,do not procede if the output in your command number does not equal it exactly.
    8)once the number matches,you can continue. copy and paste the following codes into the command window:
    Code:
    adb devices
    the output should be your phones serial number

now enter:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this will cause your phone to boot into FASTBOOT mode,wich is a white screen with colored letters.

now enter:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    the result again,should be your phones serial number.

9) now youre ready to enter the command to unlock the permanent hboot and flash the new,non permanent one.
    to unlock,enter:
    Code:
    fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30
    write the new hboot:
    Code:
    fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0

if you select bootloader at this point from the fastboot menu, youll still see the permanent s-off hboot,so select reboot with the volume rocker and power button and let the phone reboot. after it boots,you can adb reboot bootloader again,or power off, then power on/vol down and check that your pink "UNLOCKED" or "REVOLUTIONARY" is gone and you have the old 1.49.2000 bootloader.

here is what you should see in the command window,the red are my inputs:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\tbolt[/COLOR]

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]md5sums hbooteng.nb0[/COLOR]

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
    Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
    Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [c:\tbolt\]
    hbooteng.nb0                                   6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"][COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    HT126S005970    device

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
    HT126S005970    fastboot
    c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30[/COLOR]
    OKAY [  0.006s]
    finished. total time: 0.006s

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0[/COLOR]
    sending 'hboot' (1024 KB)...
    OKAY [  0.183s]
    writing 'hboot'...
    OKAY [  0.219s]
    finished. total time: 0.403s

c:\tbolt>

Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

after getting the bootloader back to the original s-off,engineering 1.04.2000 hboot download these 2 files:
    1) PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip
    mirror: https://rapidshare.com/files/271867813/PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip
    md5: 334909756073760b3d7316e51a4ce837
    2) *link removedPG05IMG_hboot_ONLY_2.11.605.19.zip
    mirror:http://www.mediafire.com/?0z0rlzh9lrnh0qs
    md5: d26b3253358407d459c654e6729a39ca

rename PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip to "PG05IMG",move to your sd card,and flash in hboot.

this is important! you must flash the PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip first

after successfully flashing that,you will be on unrooted gingerbread with an eng s-off bootloader. delete the PG05IMG file from your sd card. now place the PG05IMG_hboot_ONLY_2.11.605.19.zip on your sd card. check the md5. once youve verified it matches,you can rename PG05IMG and flash it.

again, only flash the hboot file after you have successfully flashed the rom.

now you are 100% stock on latest firmware. unrooted gingerbread 2.11.605.19 with *locked* 1.05.0000 s-on bootloader.

as always,be as cautious as possible doing hboot flashes,and follow directions in the http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html to flash these files if youre unfamiliar with hboot flashing.

*please start a new thread before attempting this if any part of this confuses you. without a bootloader your phone is a paperweight,so we want to help you prior to making any mistakes ;)

last and not least: if you have non working hard buttons,or no screen,see the directions in this thread on AF
    thanks again for all the help

I am downloading the file, I joined and donated for the goo im site and they have the same file. I have a real slow connection and had almost 80 meg to go and the power glitched - so had to start over. I don't want to do this in the middle of the night, so I may wait till tomorrow, since my download is going to be another hour before I get it all. thanks again for all your help - I am sure this will others too.
    I did mention that I tried to flash the phone to page plus with the revolutionary root on, but had trouble writing to the phone with DSF and QSPT. Do you know of anyone that had success in flashing to page plus without putting back to stock?

http://goo.im/stock/mecha/ruu/RUU_M..._NV_8K_1.41_9K_1.64_release_226879_signed.exe

S off should not matter I've flashed an s off EVO to cricket,and an s off EVO LTE to vzw prepay. I wouldn't go back to s on for that. Theres got to be some other issues. Good news is that running the .exe won't turn you s on if you're revolutionary rooted

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2
    I just don't have the "locked" on the screen - here is a picture after running image crc. I cannot connect to the phone thru fastboot either says- "still waiting"
    they won't let upload it because I am fairly new to the site and don't have a lot of posts- I can send it to you.
    Can you get anything from the numbers in the crc check?
    What driver should I be loading in device manager so I can communicate with the phone? What drivers? Which device to concentrate on when in fastboot mode? running windows 7 home edition

thanks

Using the link i give below this message, follow the instructions on installing the" universal naked drivers". Extract the files, load device manager, select "android phone 1.0" and choose update driver selection. You will want to manually install the driver by browsing for the file folder that contains the driver. Make sure you are installing the selection "Android ADB Interface". These drivers work on any Windows except Windows 8. These are 32/64 bit compatible. If you have problems, please message me.

Click below to go to the XDA Section on Universal Naked Drivers.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514942

Sent from my Incredible 4G LTE using xda app-developers app.
    Just run a newer ruu. Admittedly I've just skimmed all this while eating. I'll look a lil closer later

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    i JUST found the right zip file. believe it or not, its not even an RUU file or zip. just an hboot flashable zip that i used in RUU boot mode to flash and main version checks out and the whole lot. WOOT!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

i JUST found the right zip file. believe it or not, its not even an RUU file or zip. just an hboot flashable zip that i used in RUU boot mode to flash and main version checks out and the whole lot. WOOT!

it rebooted and hboot is now up to version 1.05.0000. THANK GOD!!!

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

ok all is done. htc RUU progress bar is full. looks like i did it right. :D @boilermanAres, once i update the phone to the new OTA (if you want me to) i will send it back, otherwise, i can send it back as it is.
    Where may I get that from?
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...t-no-its-not-ics-but-it-does-fix-some-things/

Fml, the second file would flash, because it was only 310kb, clearly not the full size file. tried downloading it again, mediafire insists its only a 310kb file...
    tried it in chrome and IE, I know you said you weren't replying to link issues anymore but...

the second file is just the hboot,and is in fact a file size of 310.97kb,confirmable with the md5 provided. hence the filename "hboot_only" ;)

so you are quite correct-clearly not the full rom.

the link and the md5 for the 2nd file(PG05IMG_hboot_ONLY_2.11.605.19.zip_) are accurate. (i promise)