[Q] Very newbie question about customising n9005

Search This thread

ab1000uk

Aug 4, 2008
Hi all

Let me start by saying what an awesome forum this is and there are some very talented people on here I have been looking at this forum for a little while now and have decided that it is time for me to bite the bullet and try and fit in and become an active part of this community.

I brought a note 3 for my wife for her birthday and must say I was so impressed I have now ordered one for myself and am currently waiting for it to arrive (be on bread and water for a few weeks now lol). The main reason I was so impressed was the features of the S-pen and do not want to lose any of its features. However, I really am not keen on the standard icons in the taskbar and the quicklaunch etc. I really prefer more colours and the hey look at me style :)

So my question: really not sure what to do and wondered what you guys thought and recommended should I root and install a theme or customise using something like wanam or I like quite the look of the BobCatRom should I go the whole hog and install this (if I do will the s-pen still function the same). and also I presume that the second I root I will trip the knox counter can you foresee this being a problem in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Hi all

Let me start by saying what an awesome forum this is and there are some very talented people on here I have been looking at this forum for a little while now and have decided that it is time for me to bite the bullet and try and fit in and become an active part of this community.

I brought a note 3 for my wife for her birthday and must say I was so impressed I have now ordered one for myself and am currently waiting for it to arrive (be on bread and water for a few weeks now lol). The main reason I was so impressed was the features of the S-pen and do not want to lose any of its features. However, I really am not keen on the standard icons in the taskbar and the quicklaunch etc. I really prefer more colours and the hey look at me style :)

So my question: really not sure what to do and wondered what you guys thought and recommended should I root and install a theme or customise using something like wanam or I like quite the look of the BobCatRom should I go the whole hog and install this (if I do will the s-pen still function the same). and also I presume that the second I root I will trip the knox counter can you foresee this being a problem in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Yeah it's a nice phone.. :good:

Well any ROM that is TW based and not AOSP based will still have SPen features, there's a few ROMS, Bobcat/xnote/alliance/civz/omega etc etc, it's pretty much personal choice as they vary by quite a lot - You can use a theme sure, or you can theme a custom launcher like Nova/Apex etc also.

You may need to read up on KNOX and other rooting issues, however since you are UK -- KNOX won't be an issue for you under the EU directive.

ab1000uk

Aug 4, 2008
thankyou for the quick reply thats really handy to know think i will probably go the custom rom route.

have used Omega rom before on s3 and s4 and found it to be very stable but am really tempted by BobCatRom but see a lot of people seem to like xnote.. decisions decisions lol

What i meant about knox by future problems can you envisage any must have apps coming out that wont install if the counter has been tripped.

Thanks again this forum really is awesome and its all down to the members

Mustajab Is'haq

Aug 27, 2013
thankyou for the quick reply thats really handy to know think i will probably go the custom rom route.

have used Omega rom before on s3 and s4 and found it to be very stable but am really tempted by BobCatRom but see a lot of people seem to like xnote.. decisions decisions lol

What i meant about knox by future problems can you envisage any must have apps coming out that wont install if the counter has been tripped.

Thanks again this forum really is awesome and its all down to the members

Knox should not be an issue for you as you seem to not care about the warranty (right?).

Once Knox is tripped (0x1), you can't use it. Thats it. It will have no effect whatsoever on any apps or features and they will continue to work fine.

The only thing you lose after tripping Knox is your warranty and Sammy's "Business/Enterprise Security" model (aka Knox), you wont be able to set it up and create different profiles for Work and Play.

S-Pen will also work fine.

ab1000uk

Aug 4, 2008
Thankyou that has definitely cleared things up and help me to try and make a decision.

Just to be sure i take it rooting and putting on a TW based rom will not affect the use of the galaxy gear (I am thinking of putting Null on)

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I would wait with tripping knox for couple weeks and make sure the phone works good on stock first. For starters you would know then if something stops working is it because of factory issue or due to flashing, also it would make warranty repairs or exchange less of a hassle.
Also some things are impossible to undo, like knox flag or updating to KitKat.

sephkateno

Oct 29, 2009
Ptolemaida
Also you should really consider whether going for the latest android 4.4.2 which is by far the best version regarding performance but has some thing missing for my taste like lockscreen effects still is in it's early stages which means no heavy development has been made so far and on top of that you have to flash the rom without flashing the new bootloader if you don't wanna be stuck on 4.4.2 and the kernels available for 4.4.2. don't have over clocking capabilities...going back to 4.3 is impossible at this time learnd it the hard way also if you have second thoughts regarding the warranty I have heard rumors that people who need their phone getting fixed just damage it on purpose so it won't boot not even download mode so Samsung can't detect whether it has been tempered with or not so they change your phone's board how they do that is still unclear to me.

Last edited: