[OFF-TOPIC] Official Off-Topic Thread for S4 mini community

Search This thread

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
what after 4.4.2 ?????

Hello guys. I am on stock 4.2.2, I9195. If I update to 4.4.2 Germany(unbranded), will I be able to root the phone with JB root method? Also can I flash CM and other custom ROMs while on 4.4.2 bootloader? I mean should I only flash ROMs based on 4.4.2 or above?
I am already "KNOX"ed so warranty does not come in picture.
I ask this 'coz I read somewhere in this thread that it is not possible to downgrade to stock 4.2.2.
Please advise....THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Last edited:

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille
Hello guys. I am on stock 4.2.2, I9195. If I update to 4.4.2 Germany(unbranded), will I be able to root the phone with JB root method? Also can I flash CM and other custom ROMs while on 4.4.2 bootloader? I mean should I only flash ROMs based on 4.4.2 or above?
I am already "KNOX"ed so warranty does not come in picture.
I ask this 'coz I read somewhere in this thread that it is not possible to downgrade to stock 4.2.2.
Please advise....THANKS IN ADVANCE.

yes ! you can update if you want ... but you are really in india ??? i don't know if the network "standard" is the same that European ones ... maybe not optimised .

And yes ! you can root this KK with :
- towelroot
- RootkitV2 (need recovery custom like CWM )
- CF Auto-Root

( => Knox flags seems to be not tripped with towelroot ... need real confirmation )

but you can't downgrade by ODIN with officials firmwares ...because the bootloader Know is a 2.0 ! with changes ... and impossible to downgrade it !
If you wan't to downgrade ,you can eventually flash modified firmwares ( Knox bootloader removed ) => in theory it work ,but not tested .
otherwise you can instal recovery custom for to flash modified firmwares ( .zip file) like the 2 famous "deodexed" and "impacted" ( see development thread here)

If you are happy with your 4.2.2 ,i recommend you to wait your country updates ... if you are not in European area .

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

EDIT !!!

KNOX evolutions will be the future for Google too ( with Android 5.0 "L" )!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ho my god :crying:..... with much more security it's really possible that they will be impossible to root and mod the futures versions ! :rolleyes:

Like Samsung with more and more security (and after they will abandon more and more android for Tizen instead ) ....... Google take the same way ???!!! more and more closed like Apple iOS ??? :eek:

=> http://www.sammobile.com/2014/06/25...egrate-knox-into-androids-next-major-release/

Enjoy with Kit Kat 4.4.X ........ maybe the end ... ( ??? )

Reactions: sasank360

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
@Loulou-13

Thanks for reply mate.:) I watched S4 Mini official KK update video on S4MiniArchive Youtube channel and the user mentioned randoms reboots, FCs and heating issues when knox-removed KK firmware was flashed. He also added that when he flashed untouched (knoxed) KK firmware everything was fine. That is what bothered me. I am from India as u know and I9195 has no warranty service in India. We do not have LTE either. I just need 3g/2g internet , messaging , phonecalls. As of now I have no issues and hopefully I will have none when I flash KK sometime later.
I already triggered knox :laugh: So any root method is fine to me.

Also I went WTF :mad::mad::mad::mad: when I read this :::
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/06/25...egrate-knox-into-androids-next-major-release/
Cant sammy stop tinkering with android???? Seriously they are spoiling google as well

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Hello. I read flashing knox removed KK update results in many issues. Can this be fixed by a custom kernel?? I mean we have f4ktion kernel for stock JB that fixed the "performance" gov issue, similarly can we have a custom kernel for stock KK that fixes the overheating , freezing and FC issues??Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille
FCs are caused with some users who have tried to remove Knox on the new KK ..... but the official untouched firmware is fine ! :good:

...and no kernel for the moment ! no mods ...etc ....( system seems protected ! ) just root and recovery is possible ! ;)

Very very sad for the future of android ,yes ... :(

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010
One simple question from a recovering flashoholic:
Why do we keep on flashing, day after day, version after version, constantly between roms that are fairly similar? :rolleyes:

rrgrrg

Aug 31, 2012
Alexandria
rrgrrgofficial.wordpress.com
One simple question from a recovering flashoholic:
Why do we keep on flashing, day after day, version after version, constantly between roms that are fairly similar? :rolleyes:
seeking improvment :cyclops: ... if you are using a cyanogenmod-like roms you dont have to update regularly but if you have an unofficial versions then u have to since the unofficial dev doesnt just sync changes but fix bugs (he doesnt have time to upload useless updates\builds) therefore you have to download

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille
seeking improvment :cyclops: ... if you are using a cyanogenmod-like roms you dont have to update regularly but if you have an unofficial versions then u have to since the unofficial dev doesnt just sync changes but fix bugs (he doesnt have time to upload useless updates\builds) therefore you have to download

That's why i "hate" Cyanogenmod now with CM11 ! ..... 10 months for to build a rom ! incredible ! terible !... and still have buggs ! and too many reccuring problems too ...
some people continue to like it because great past reputation , but they periodicaly loose more and more ,for to move of others customs ....and some return to Stock rom .

If people want to be "quiet", and use a "clean" AOSP rom ,best expérience ===> they have have to install OmniRom ( or Paranoid ) ,and it's good !!! :good: the end of story ! :)
If people love customisation ,with the same "clean" experience ===> CarbonRom ! ( great F4K's work ! ) :good: ...or very "much" more with the famous C-Rom V7.1 ( the "perfect" rom !!!! ) :good:
end of story again ! :)
And they can test the new "Dirty Unicorns too !!!

=> it's my own vision ,opinion about "Android custom world" ,but there are people who think different ...

Last edited:

Darktitor

May 31, 2012
CyanogenMod are doing great job for me ! Always trying new thing that the user could find usefull and never forget that without CM a lot of custom firmware will not be here actually. For the moment my favorite is AOSPA, because their team follow Googl's guideline with some very usefull features like Hover and Peek :D

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille
i don't say that CM is "bad" ... but their new politic and way are very "strange" :rolleyes:
lots of dev teams work directly about AOSP google sources and add theys own features (they develop themselves theirs features ) more and more devs are leaving from CM too ...

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille
maybe true in the past ...but for now it's wrong . Lots of teams have took their independance ...
It's not "the center of the world" too ...

Last edited:

Razvan

Retired Forum Moderator

Panos97

Jun 20, 2014
Battery life

Hi :laugh: Something slightly off-topic :p For those who say that battery life is horrible on the S4 Mini I9195 on Jelly Bean, I can tell you my phone lasts 4 full days with mild use (2G only cause LTE SUCKS battery, gps off, wifi when needed, facebook, phonecalls, sms, screen on for 3 hours) without charging between :victory: The only power-related apps i've installed are Greenify, Snapdragon BatteryGuru and SetCPU (for underclocking and profiles). Despite that, i also face deepsleep juice drain, but not at an insane degree. ie at night, i turn airplane mode on and it only drains 2-5% only in 8 hours. I'm using the rom from ladislav.heller, based on 4.2.2 and BML1 with BML1 Modem flashed. Only reason i use that rom is because i heard BML1 has pretty decend battery life, and i can confirm it :) And that's the only reason i dont flash KK 4.4.2..I heard that other users have terrible battery life :rolleyes: I think i am from the lucky ones lol :p

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-18-23-58-56.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-18-23-58-56.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_2014-07-18-23-59-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-18-23-59-37.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 95

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
Are the benchmark scores better after jellybean update? I did not run any while on 4.2.2 but from what i read on the internet after kitkat update benchmarks have improved a little bit. So I ran them myself. Although I never consider benchmarks as standard for performance but I suspect samsung did something with kitkat......something they did with s4 and note 3. What do you guys feel??

Attachments

• Quadrant.png
    Quadrant.png
    117 KB · Views: 81
  • Nenamark2.jpg
    Nenamark2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 71

Loulou-13

Aug 24, 2013
Marseille

Top Liked Posts