[APP] Island Settlers (board game - catan)

Search This thread

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
I just released Island Settlers to the Android Market! I appreciate any feedback. See below for screenshots.

If you're downloading from the market, make sure you uninstall the preview version first.

English only. Contact me if you can help make a translation.

Please read the webpage for details and report any issues.

Cheers!

Website: http://omnionic.com/settlers (has direct download link if needed)
AppBrain: http://www.appbrain.com/app/island-settlers-(free)/com.settlers
Market download:
com.settlers.png

Screenshot (Dec 6, 2010 - 1.2.2)
screenshot1tiles1.png

Last edited:

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
Update: preview 2

Preview 2 is out! This release is single player only, with basic AI. I also improved the board interaction system. Double-tap to zoom in or out, and long press to place a settlement/city/road/robber. Let me know if there are issues or you have any suggestions.

Check out the details and apk download on my site:
http://android.neilisaac.ca/site/settlers

Last edited:

Vanquish46

Oct 2, 2010
Catan! I haven't tried it yet, but I'm already excited. The board game is so very fun. Thanks for working on this :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Vanquish46

Oct 2, 2010
I haven't had a chance to play this a lot. I don't like the vibration, which occurs even when the phone is in silent mode.

I am fairly certain the vibration signals the computer moving. Perhaps a quick pop up or something could instead let the user know about the ai.

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
The vibration and/or beep signal the beginning of a human turn. I intended this to alert you to pass the phone to someone else if you're playing with friends. These can be controlled based on your android settings ("Audible selection" and "Haptic feedback" under "Sound settings.") I'll add an option to override those in the application.

I have a new version (almost ready) that adds a bunch of minor features, including a turn log as you suggested. It also lets you set player names and colors, and have a combination of human and ai players.

I have a buddy working on some new textures. Saying he's a better artist than me is an understatement. See screenshot above ;)

I have a short list of bugs to fix and some things that came up in testing. I'll have another release out within a day or so.

Vanquish46

Oct 2, 2010
Ah, I understand that now. When playing alone it seemed pointless, but I can see how it would be useful with friends.

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
Here are the most significant features as of release r4:

* Set number of points to win game
* Show past game results
* Persistent settings and player names
* Turn log
* Crash and stall fixes

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
i really like where this is going!
used to love the game and this version is getting my attention ;)

two things about the current version:

the "build town" button shows because i have the right recources (i guess, see my second point) but i am not able to build one because of the rules (i've only got my two initial towns and roads so i need a road first)
-> shouldn't the "build town" button show only when i am really able to build one?

i used to play the real game a couple of years ago. got used to having my "resources-trading"-card (how many x do i need to build y) visible at all times so i could glance at it while trading. i see that you implemented a menu showing when pressing the menu button in the last version (good start by the way, wanted to suggest that too) - it would be great if you could implement another button in the menu that shows to display the "resources-trading"-card (for lack of a better name)

more feedback to come.

EDIT: see below

i need a statusboard with the following information to make decisions and refine strategy:
- player points
- how many resources a player has (not how many in each category but in total - i think according to rules this is possible)
- all the stuff displayed on my own info-screen (in-game-menubar -> "info")

a suggestion where to place this: remove "info" and "turn log" from the in-game-menubar.
instead display "status" (or whatever name) to the left of "options".
status is a full-screen display of player stats.
via tab it is possible to switch to the other players, per default my own information is displayed (like when pressing "info" in the in-game-menubar)

(very) rough mockup attached.

Attachments

• settlers-mockup.jpg
    settlers-mockup.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
new post because it's getting too long ;)

_especially_ when moving the robber i need to know those things:
how many points and how many cards does everybody have?
what's the cost of a town/road/etc.?

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
another thing, sorry for the massive amount of stuff i just thought i'd get it all out now that i'm at it ;)

right now i am in posession of all the right resources (lumber, wool, grain, brick) and i have a sweet spot where i want to put this town.
the thing is - the button to do it is not there!
those buttons are showing:
1st row: Info - Trade - End turn
2nd row: Buy or use card - Build road
"Build town" is not there!
is there any way to provide you with debug info for cases like this?
maybe it would be possible for you to integrate a debug option that saves the current state of the game in a txt-file i could send you, or something like it.

EDIT: i wasn't able to build towns or cities for the rest of the game.
at some point (couple of turns later) i also lost the ability to build roads, even though i had enough resources.

EDIT2: i was able to build cities, but no more towns and roads.
is there some rule that restricts the amount of towns and/or roads i forgot?

EDIT3: this has to be a rule i don't know about. in another game i am now able to build roads/towns/cities as i like.

Last edited:

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
i just move the robber because i rolled a 7.
the game offered me to steal from either of two players because they had cities where i placed it.
one player had 0 resources the other had 3.
why bother to show the player with 0 resources?

Last edited:

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
a confirmation when building roads would be great - i was very sure of my placement but build two roads in the wrong spot because of clumsiness ;)

theeil

Apr 4, 2010
Toronto
omnionic.com
Thanks for all the feedback Emelie! I'll try and respond to most of it here.

Status windows

First off, I like your idea of the consolidated status window. My thought is to keep the (optional) popup turn log so you can see what happened since your last turn at a glance, but then replace the info and turn log buttons with a merged version.

Your mockup looks good. My approach has been to avoid showing any information that can be found by looking at the board. I think the status window shouldn't tell you much that your opponents in the real board game don't have to tell you. The big thing is that it shouldn't show victory points - I think a big part of the game is in speculating this for yourself. More importantly, there are the "victory cards" that aren't shown to other players until you declare that you've won. Of course you need the information such as the number of development cards that each person holds so you can make your speculations.

A quick building costs dialogue that is always available would probably be good. I put it under trade and that was good enough for the time, but I'm not 100% happy with it - it's on my todo list.

Interface

I'd like to add an undo option after building. After I added zoom and long press support I found that I don't make mistakes, so this became low priority. Of course this would help with people learning the interface. It would also probably help to have "toast" (the small popups in the lower third of the screen) prompts to tell you what to click ("double tap to zoom in, then long press to build your road" or something.)

When you steal from someone, I decided to show the full list so it is more obvious why it doesn't let you steal from someone. My ideal interface design would be a dialogue like that, but with the 0 resource players disabled and greyed out, however I don't think that's possible without going to more depth. Maybe I'll change it from a dialogue to a full activity (info and turn log are dialogues that pop up, trade and options are full activities - you'll notice that they don't disappear when you rotate the screen; I went to great lengths to ensure that the steal dialogue comes up again if you do this.) Let me know if you have other ideas, or even a mock-up.

Usability-oriented design is important. I'll admit that much of my design is based on what was either most obvious to do while developing it, or what is fastest to use when clicking through the game really fast. My preview-2 release was really quick, but has poor usability.

Rules

The board game has 5 settlements (which I call towns since it's shorter and screen space is valuable on a phone) 4 cities, and 15 roads. This forces you to use a more diversified strategy to get points, so you can't just build 10 towns and win. When you build a city, you do get 1 town back. This is implemented but my game doesn't really tell you about it (except maybe in the instructions if I included that.) I think I'll include something like this in the status window "towns: 3 / 5" or similar. Maybe keep the button when you can afford it, but give you an error message when you click it explaining why you can't build a town.

Translations

In android, you typically put all your strings in an xml resource file. Some of my generated text dialogues are hard-coded though. I'll try and move more of those into the xml file so they can be translated too. The buttons at the top will be more annoying to support translations for.

Here are the countries with the most users: US, UK, Canada (all english) then Germany, Netherlands, France, Sweden, Denmark (order not exact.) I'll try and do a french translation as an example.

For those willing to help, I'll make it really quick and easy. Send me an email at omnionic@gmail.com and I'll get you set up.

Debugging

About dumping debug info, the easiest way is for you to describe exactly what you did. Include the stage of the game; is it the first turn? where are you in the turn order? how many ai players? what buttons did you click? did you rotate the screen half way through?

If it crashes or hangs, the best way to help me is to give me a stack trace. If you're using the market version, there's a button to submit it automatically. Add a message telling me what was going on in case I can't guess. So far the only person who added a comment just said "the game crashed again."

If you get to a point you don't think is right, you can try to produce a stack trace showing that too. This is a bit tricky though since it actually needs to be in a point in my code, rather than android runtime. The procedure is to run "adb shell" then kill the application (use "ps" to get the PID, then "kill -9 PID_NUMBER") then check "adb logcat" and send me the stack trace if it's useful (check for class names within com.settlers.) If this doesn't make sense, don't worry about it.

Thanks!

emelie

Jul 4, 2010
Vienna
yeah i like your detailed answer! going to reply at the end of the week - massive pile of work to take care of.
in the meantime - i'd like to do the german translation, PM/post instructions so i can proceed! sent you an email
love your game :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just released Island Settlers to the Android Market! I appreciate any feedback. See below for screenshots.

If you're downloading from the market, make sure you uninstall the preview version first.

English only. Contact me if you can help make a translation.

Please read the webpage for details and report any issues.

Cheers!

Website: http://omnionic.com/settlers (has direct download link if needed)
    AppBrain: http://www.appbrain.com/app/island-settlers-(free)/com.settlers
    Market download:
    com.settlers.png

Screenshot (Dec 6, 2010 - 1.2.2)
    screenshot1tiles1.png
    Any one have apk of latest version of Island Settlers? Would be nice to heave this in this bad situation for us. Ehh what a vicked world we have now :/

... here you go! ;)
    Some people here may be interested in some new code I added on github based on this project:

https://github.com/neilisaac/AndroidSettlers

If you're a developer and have a chance to dig through this, I'd like to hear back from you. Some code is quite good, some is less good, and some is just there for brainstorming.

It's meant as a starting point for anyone who wants to make a new "theme" or "story" out of it.

I suppose this is long overdue... Enjoy!
    Latest updates are awesome, really easy to see what's going on around the board now, and games go much faster. Couple more suggestions:

1. Long press on a resource icon at the bottom to initiate a trade for that resource, ie. launch the trade window and pre-select the combo.

2. Dynamically change the label of the "Trade with bank" button to show how many resources are required to activate it. ie. "Trade with bank (4:1)" or "Trade with bank (3:1)", whether the button is enabled or not. If two of a 2:1 resource is selected, the button could become enabled and say "Trade with bank (2:1)".

3. A little "2:1" icon overlaid on the resource icon in the trade window would also help pre-indicate which resources are favourable to trade.

The UI is becoming very polished. Can't wait to see the AI improvements!

edit: I should add, I've never ever seen a random crash, and I've played it heaps.
    Or among us Wiccan, Pagan, liberal players either :)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk