[Q] ART failed and now I have no phone.

Search This thread

thelonewizard

Nov 22, 2011
Indiana
I tried turning on ART instead of dalvik, and it messed up my phone. So I wiped it, no backups, and now suddenly my .zip for the ROM is corrupt and can't be used to flash the ROM, so I essentially have a paperweight. I can't ADB sideload (I've tried), I can't ADB Push (tried) I tried flashing with fastboot to system and it failed, and I don't know what else to do. I can't mount to USB storage to copy the thing over and I don't know of any other method.

Specs:
1.44 hboot
was previously running the newest ecliptic 4.4/5.5 ROM
newest philz touch recovery.

When I go to reboot my phone from recovery, it tells me I don't have root access anymore.

How do I fix this, and why is it so hard?

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
. . . How do I fix this, and why is it so hard?

First, in the future, read before leaping -- it's well known that ART cannot work with a Sense based ROM -- it's totally broken and it will surely do bad things. If you want to know why it's so hard -- it's because your device is totally screwed up now.

First, your /system partition is probably trashed -- so that's why PhilZ says you have no root access -- you don't, there's nothing worthwhile at all on your /system partition.

Before you go too far, please tell us all what your firmware versions -- look for the 'OS-???????' on your bootloader screen. That will dictate with RUU you will want to use if necessary.

There's a couple choices:

1) *if* the ART mess didn't totally screw up your internal storage, you have a shot at loading a ROM and moving forward (see if you can look at the internal storage in PhilZ, to go 'backups restore' menu, and try to load from /sdcard -- hopefully it can see the file system, if not -- you better RUU so see below):

a) Place a valid ROM (my suggestion is use benny3's stock, rooted ROM so you get to a place of sanity) on a exFAT, ext4 or ntfs formated USB stick;

b) Boot into recovery (PhilZ is apparently working for you -- whew!):

c) Plug your OTG cabled USB stick in to the device (PhilZ will mount the USB drive);

d) Use PhilZ to 'wipe to load new rom' in the menus;

e) Load the ROM from /mnt/storage/usb.

2) *if* the ART mess screwed you totally, you'll have to RUU back to stock:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277892 -- Start with Q16 in that FAQ.

We can help -- don't rush. Also, plug your device in, PhilZ will charge the thing and you want it charged reasonably before you get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelonewizard

thelonewizard

Nov 22, 2011
Indiana
... 2) *if* the ART mess screwed you totally, you'll have to RUU back to stock:

We can help -- don't rush. Also, plug your device in, PhilZ will charge the thing and you want it charged reasonably before you get started.
The 1.29 RUU worked. How do I now unlock it so I can go back to custom ROMs? I assumed the command would be "fastboot oem unlock" but that fails when I try it. I assume this is due to me having lost root rights, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. I just want to go back to the Ecliptic ROM. I had no issues right up until I decided to try ART.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
. . . I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. . . .

So be careful (and throw some thanks button hits around when folks help you out -- not just me, not the point -- it matters to all folks around here to help ;) ).

As for re-rooting, same FAQ page link I gave you above, Q4 -- read that whole FAQ before you do much more so you know where to look next time. A little reading may save you serious pain down the road. Good luck!

thelonewizard

Nov 22, 2011
Indiana
So be careful (and throw some thanks button hits around when folks help you out -- not just me, not the point -- it matters to all folks around here to help ;) ).

As for re-rooting, same FAQ page link I gave you above, Q4 -- read that whole FAQ before you do much more so you know where to look next time. A little reading may save you serious pain down the road. Good luck!

Thank you for all the help. I got back to my ROM with minimal data loss, and I'm not touching ART until HTC makes it official. I really appreciate the help, and you'll notice a couple new "Thanks" in your meter. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    . . . I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. . . .

. . . How do I fix this, and why is it so hard?

First, in the future, read before leaping -- it's well known that ART cannot work with a Sense based ROM -- it's totally broken and it will surely do bad things. If you want to know why it's so hard -- it's because your device is totally screwed up now.

First, your /system partition is probably trashed -- so that's why PhilZ says you have no root access -- you don't, there's nothing worthwhile at all on your /system partition.

Before you go too far, please tell us all what your firmware versions -- look for the 'OS-???????' on your bootloader screen. That will dictate with RUU you will want to use if necessary.

There's a couple choices:

1) *if* the ART mess didn't totally screw up your internal storage, you have a shot at loading a ROM and moving forward (see if you can look at the internal storage in PhilZ, to go 'backups restore' menu, and try to load from /sdcard -- hopefully it can see the file system, if not -- you better RUU so see below):

a) Place a valid ROM (my suggestion is use benny3's stock, rooted ROM so you get to a place of sanity) on a exFAT, ext4 or ntfs formated USB stick;

b) Boot into recovery (PhilZ is apparently working for you -- whew!):

c) Plug your OTG cabled USB stick in to the device (PhilZ will mount the USB drive);

d) Use PhilZ to 'wipe to load new rom' in the menus;

e) Load the ROM from /mnt/storage/usb.

2) *if* the ART mess screwed you totally, you'll have to RUU back to stock: