What DON'T you like about the M8?

Search This thread

sameer1807

Dec 7, 2011
Agree the device is longer than needed. Should've incorporated the speakers into the glass

Also, I wish they stuck with capacitive and made the HTC logo a home button. There is literally almost 2 inches from the bottom to the usable part of the screen..rediculous. And the power button sux. Placement and response..mine is inverted and is flat. I've stuck to using the swipe to lock feature from elemental kernel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

andy905

Mar 26, 2010
Hanoi
Ive just upgraded from the OneX+ which was a solid phone except for heat and game lag. Ive only had the M8 for a week and it kicks the OneX+ ass in every department. It runs way cooler and the GPS is fantastic so far. It locks to about 25 satellites in a few seconds and I didnt notice any extra heat while running gps. I use this to track my runs about 4 times a week. Its taking me a bit to get used to the size, but for the extra speakers, which sound great, and extra screen size I think I'll get over it pretty fast. Battery life is also much better. The only weird thing is the placement of the headphone socket, although with the ir blaster up top then maybe it was necessary.

nycebo

Sep 15, 2010
New York, NY
If you're rooted, there is a "triple tap to sleep" mod out there. Also, swiping the nav bar puts it to sleep.

Ended up using Nova Launcher gestures (double tap AND swipe up) to sleep the phone using the 'Lock Screen' app. A lot people suggested Screen Off and Lock but it was larger than it needed to be and also required more permissions. Mind you, Lock Screen is made a dev that I've not heard of so for all I know, I'm porting data directly to the Chinese government. :confused:

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
I use widgetsoid to lock my screen and make a large invisible button which fills the bottom half of the homescreen.

I imagine it uses a lot of permissions as it does a lot of stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread Re-Opened

Now that I've cleaned up all those posts, I don't expect to have to do so again!

Apparently people aren't allowed to have opinions on the internet :eek:

If someone posts an opinion you don't like, don't reply to it. If someone posts something offensive, report it. If someone is arguing, report it. It's really not difficult.

Now, stick to the forum rules, stick to what I've said above and get back to having a discussion, NOT an argument.

Regards,
    - KidCarter93
    Forum Moderator
    1. Too heavy.

2. Too tall.

3. Black bottom bezel is hideous.

4. No double tap to sleep. (WTF?)

5. Camera aside from low light.
    I prefer the more symmetrical design of the m7, the two tone aesthetics, front AND back machine edged bezels, size, etc...ntm ois & beats. At least the black bar on the original is host to the capacitive buttons. The on screen keys just diminish usable screen real estate anyway - untill custom roms provide a means to eliminate them that is...

Sent from my Blue M7
    Things i dont like:
    The wasted bezel area - Maybe they had issues with pushing the screen closer to the edges, but I cant fathom why they would leave that black bar with no function at all.
    The size - Yes, making it out of mostly metal will increase its size a little, but the M8 grew by a lot. Whats inside of this device that requires that much space?
    The power button position - FFS HTC, put the button on the side (either side) and leave it there!!!
    The camera - Basically the biggest complaint people had about the M7 and they did nothing to address it. Incredible that they didnt get this pushed up to at least 5mp.

I sometimes wonder if HTC throw away last years design data and use a fresh batch of engineers for every flagship they develop. It seems like they always start from scratch and try to re-invent perfection or make no improvements at all. Perfection should be refined, not re-invented. It feels like little refinement was done on the M8 compared to the M7, Apple and Samsung are very good at refining their flagships. This is why many complain, we see what Apple and Samsung can do and wonder why HTC cant do it too.

All that said, im a fan of HTC, Ive had a new HTC device every single year for the past decade, way back starting with the XDAii mini. This year may be year where i dont get a new one. If there truly is no way to have capacitive buttons on that black bar, then i will hang on to my M7. For some reason having all that space there starting at me serving no purpose at all, really really bugs me. :silly:
    The three biggest problems I have:
    - The phone is too large for this screen size. It's much taller than similar phones and even close to the Note 3 (5.5 inch) than to the Galaxy S4 (5 inch). The black bar below the screen is the problem here. Without it, the phone would have the right size.
    - The camera. Why 4 MP - again? All the reviews show the same problems like before. What good is the larger sensor if there aren't enough pixels to shoot sharp images? They just shifted the low light problem in other camera phones to another imho much bigger problem.
    - The position of the power button couldn't be any worse.

i like The position of the power button a lot better then m7 ,well thats my opinion :D