S5 for ATT newbish questions

Search This thread

draexo

I'm a current S3 Verizon owner. I'd like to switch to ATT. I'm just checking. Sounds like we have root but must use safestrap for custom ROMs. Sounds like the Active flavor is completely different firmware and has no or little support.

I'm switching due to signal at home. My friends with ATT get great signal and I get hardly any. Seems I'm in a small area with little Verizon coverage.

UnhoIy

Dec 9, 2012
I'm a current S3 Verizon owner. I'd like to switch to ATT. I'm just checking. Sounds like we have root but must use safestrap for custom ROMs. Sounds like the Active flavor is completely different firmware and has no or little support.

I'm switching due to signal at home. My friends with ATT get great signal and I get hardly any. Seems I'm in a small area with little Verizon coverage.

If you're running your S3 with a custom ROM that's not TouchWiz based, you'll hate this phone. If you are using stock based, you'll love this phone. I, for one, decided to pass this S5 to my mother and got a Nexus 5.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.

Very true regarding limited support for the active...
However...a better device would be tough to find IMHO...
If you are a crack flasher looking for AOSP nightly builds...then the s5 will make you wait...

I'm getting older...and wanted some mild changes....but my "new rom every night" era is over...so I decided to try the active for a while...

Your call....g

Reactions: s8freak

thepktrckt

Feb 19, 2013
I'd argue that the Active has very good support in these forums, because it is a bit of a niche phone you have very fervent owners that respond quickly to new issues. From a ROM support perspective it is limited but I'm quite happy with a ROM that is stripped of bloatware and then I tinker from there. I've owned a lot of phones and I'm quite happy with the Active, each time I try a new phone I come back to the Active. It's a bit bulkier but it just sits nice in my hand and the screen is beautiful.

Nickovtyme

Jan 19, 2011
I totally dig my S5 Active.

I'm in the process of getting my environment set up so that i can learn to build for it. I've not done it before and it'll be slow going...but I've been reading these forums for a few years and I might just he able to pull it off.

If/when the bootloader gets unlocked...the sky will be the limit.
Galaxy S5 Activate

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Very true regarding limited support for the active...
    However...a better device would be tough to find IMHO...
    If you are a crack flasher looking for AOSP nightly builds...then the s5 will make you wait...

I'm getting older...and wanted some mild changes....but my "new rom every night" era is over...so I decided to try the active for a while...

Your call....g