Moto X on Straight Talk?

Search This thread

korn918

Nov 6, 2010
I bought a customized moto X on Motorola's website. It is an At&T phone without contract.
I paid $13 online for the unlocking service and received an unlocked code and the phone is sim unlocked.
Problem: I created a new straight talk APN setting , phone calls and text are working, BUT NO MMS AND DATA. I contacted straight talk many times and they sent me several APN settings , none of them worked.
I did a little research online, the problem might be caused by the two built-in att APNs coming with the phone. The sad thing is it cannot be deleted!
Further researches revealed in order to delete the att APNs the phone needs to be rooted. But rooting a ATT moto X requires a UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER! As of now only. SPRINT , VERIZON AND US CELLULAR HAVE UNLOCKABLE moto X , rooting cannot be done for my Att moto X ! I am desperate , please help, folks !!!

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

rubiksmoose

Feb 4, 2011
Detroit
Ok well your main issue I unfortunately cannot help with but I can at least clear you of one misunderstanding that you seem to have.
Root does not require an unlocked bootloader. In fact root for AT&T is coming very soon.
Now, I don't know if rooting is even your best option, but if it is all you have to do is wait a couple days.

Sent from the sexiest Moto X ever created using the XDA Premium app

korn918

Nov 6, 2010
Straight talk tech support sent me another email containing a new APN setting and it is still not working, the emails says they did some adjustment from their end....not working ....

I just hope the AT&T root comes out quickly ......

But thanks for your post though :)

korn918

Nov 6, 2010
Great, I will try this tooting method tonight, by the way, how do I donate to Justin. Just a little appreciation for his hard work.
Thank you!!!!!!

korn918

Nov 6, 2010
By the way, i was finally able to get the data and MMS work!!
Now it shows 4g LTE, I run the speed test on straight talk SIM, speeds is pretty steady, around 10M down and 2-3M up.

schmoli

Jul 22, 2013
Yeah are there any tips anyone has? I just activated a AT&T moto X on Straight Talk and stupidly did the update so I can't root right now, Texting/Phone works but not MMS, I'm assuming because of the APNs that you can't delete?

Edit: see below reply.

Last edited:

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
wait seriously? you can't completely set up an apn without root on the at&t version? is this for real? i just bought a used one to use on ST, and i'm not sure i'm buying it but unfortunately won't know til i get my phone in a few days. can people with at&t moto x's on ST chime in?

Last edited:

schmoli

Jul 22, 2013
wait seriously? you can't completely set up an apn without root on the at&t version? is this for real? i just bought a used one to use on ST, and i'm not sure i'm buying it but unfortunately won't know til i get my phone in a few days. can people with at&t moto x's on ST chime in?

Update! I went back and verified and I had actually messed up the APN, once I made it the correct settings and rebooted, I was able to SEND mms but not receive it. Then I woke up this morning, and now that is working as well. I did not root and still have the stock apn's in my phone, I just 'selected' the ST one.

shmew22

Oct 26, 2013
I just got my moto x on ST today with the ATT LTE sim... no data/no mms... cant root cause of update.. :( if you guys have data working, howd you do it? My APN Below

Name: stalk
APN: tfdata
Proxy:NotSet
Port:80
Username:not set
Password: not set
server:not set
MMSC: http ://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC 410
Auth Type: None
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: ipv4
APN Roam Protocol: ipv4
APN Enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

:confused:

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
I just got my moto x on ST today with the ATT LTE sim... no data/no mms... cant root cause of update.. :( if you guys have data working, howd you do it? My APN Below

Name: stalk
APN: tfdata
Proxy:NotSet
Port:80
Username:not set
Password: not set
server:not set
MMSC: http ://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC 410
Auth Type: None
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: ipv4
APN Roam Protocol: ipv4
APN Enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

:confused:

mine worked fine as soon as i put in the new APN. looking at yours, the first thing i see is you have a port when you shouldn't. not sure otherwise. try adding a new APN and only put in values for what ST now gives with the tfdata setting (port is MMS port).

if that doesn't work, how old is your SIM? you may need the old settings to get it working.. they switched over to the new one sometime in the last few months and left everyone to figure it out but it seems that SIMs purchased after a particular, mysterious date need the tfdata one.

also, if you're just getting it set up today you might try waiting another day or so. i've jumped back and forth a few times and i know at least once or twice it's taken a day or so for MMS to catch up.

Last edited:

shmew22

Oct 26, 2013
mine worked fine as soon as i put in the new APN. looking at yours, the first thing i see is you have a proxy when you shouldn't. not sure otherwise. try adding a new APN and only put in values for what ST now gives with the tfdata setting (port is MMS port).

if that doesn't work, how old is your SIM? you may need the old settings to get it working.. they switched over to the new one sometime in the last few months and left everyone to figure it out but it seems that SIMs purchased after a particular, mysterious date need the tfdata one.

Just got my sim a few days ago, along with my moto x. I ported my number this morning from AT&T. Will take the port setting out and see what happens. Thanks.

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
Just got my sim a few days ago, along with my moto x. I ported my number this morning from AT&T. Will take the port setting out and see what happens. Thanks.

Note it looks like I edited my post after you replied. Meant port, not proxy - but leave MMS port. Also, you may need to wait a good day or so for everything to "take" with the new SIM after porting.

shmew22

Oct 26, 2013
Note it looks like I edited my post after you replied. Meant port, not proxy - but leave MMS port. Also, you may need to wait a good day or so for everything to "take" with the new SIM after porting.

Ok, took the port out on the data proxy, left the mms port and proxy. Still not working yet. Ill let it cook, and see what happens. This should give me LTE too correct?

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
Ok, took the port out on the data proxy, left the mms port and proxy. Still not working yet. Ill let it cook, and see what happens. This should give me LTE too correct?

Yes it should. I've had to wait the better part of a day before for MMS to start working correctly, but can't remember the same for data (although it could be true). Did you reboot and all that jazz? Not to dumb it down too much for you, but did you remember to select the "bubble" next to the APN name after you saved it? I've almost missed that before. Other than that, I guess you'll have to wait 24 hours and call Straight Talk - they won't tell you anything other than "wait 24 hours" if you call before then.

edit: and can you make/receive calls as-is at least?

Last edited:

shmew22

Oct 26, 2013
Yes it should. I've had to wait the better part of a day before for MMS to start working correctly, but can't remember the same for data (although it could be true). Did you reboot and all that jazz? Not to dumb it down too much for you, but did you remember to select the "bubble" next to the APN name after you saved it? I've almost missed that before. Other than that, I guess you'll have to wait 24 hours and call Straight Talk - they won't tell you anything other than "wait 24 hours" if you call before then.

edit: and can you make/receive calls as-is at least?

yep, i have the bubble selected on the apn screen and rebooted several times. I can call and recieve sms but no mms/data. Only other thing I wanted to try and can't is deleting the factory APNs, but can't with no root. :(

EDIT: I can see the "4G" symbol in the status bar, but never get connected.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Should be in the first post on how to donate to him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Moto X on ST in Metro DC

:cool:
    hi everyone.
    moto x does work with ST . just activated yesterday. steps:
    - bought moto x through promotion after black friday
    - was existing att customer
    - bought ST activation package from walmart, pulled the sim card for att,(4g LTE) from inside pack. cut all edges with scissors. remember to mark the angled one on back in order to insert it the same way.
    - change APN settings inside networks and wireless settings. have not deleted any setting for att. everything is still there. just selected the ST settings.
    i have 4g , wireless, mms works perfectly. any questions, please contact me.
    - att , good reception, md/va/washington dc area.

----------------------
    What ST settings are working for you in Metro DC?