Warning: Burnt CCD on LG G2 Camera (too sensitive?)

Search This thread

snipthecat27

May 3, 2012
Hi,

I like to take videos and picture of laser show effects, I have done that for years without any problem.

However I got my brand new LG G2 took one 2 minutes video and ended up with about 30 scattered group of dead pixels on the CCD sensor... never happened with my galaxy S2 or galaxy S3. I was about 10meters from the laser projector, it was not very powerful (only 500mw RGB projector with 30kpps galvos, wide beam (~1cm diameter at 10meters)), there was a lot of fog, there was no direct still laser beam on the ccd, only fast moving patterns, the laser could have been on the ccd no more than a few milliseconds.

Maybe higher megapixel sensors are more sensitive? this is quite worrying, I know many discos that have much stronger lasers than that and I see people take pictures/movies all the time. Also, would direct sunlight burn the sensor as well?

Anyway, I got it exchanged under warranty no question asked...

David.

RoosterX

Apr 13, 2010
Borås
I don't talk about own experience, but from what I understand will every camera sensor be damaged when directly exposed to laser, or long exposure of the sun. Whether it is a expensive dslr, compact camera or mobile phone.

My guess is that the sensor was briefly directly exposed to one or more lasers in your case.

Skickat från min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
are you using an aftermarket camera? all aftermarket video recording shows dead pixels for some reason. the stock LG camera app doesn't. it makes no sense, but everybody is able to recreate the issue for the most part.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk