[Q] Need a working s2w kernel for ViperX 4.1.1 that actually works.

Search This thread

KaiserSnorezay

Jan 26, 2012
Sydney
Nexus 9
OnePlus 3
I've already seen the list of kernels here, but none have been updated in the last one year, and some say they're discontinued. So far I've tried Alex's kernel from that list (marked as discontinued) and Lyapota's kernel that was recently updated, but in both cases after reboot my phone radios stay disconnected and in settings, Airplane mode is shown as 'turning off..', so I revert to the stock one. Is there a fix for the radio problem, or better still, can someone point me to a kernel that works with the latest ViperX?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Read the instructions a bit better ! Flash the boot.img and install the zip via the recovery. They all work, what you are experiencing is a user error !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KaiserSnorezay

Jan 26, 2012
Sydney
Nexus 9
OnePlus 3
I already have viper x 4.1.1 working with the stock kernel. All I'm doing is replacing the kernel with one of those that I mentioned. Does one need to reflash the whole ROM every time one changes the kernel?
What zip do I flash? There's only several .IMG files for each different kernel. Lyapota offers multiple different kernels in a single zip file, surely I'm not supposed to flash that? And there are no instructions, his English is terrible and I can't even figure out the features and differences between his various under and over clocked kernels.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I already have viper x 4.1.1 working with the stock kernel. All I'm doing is replacing the kernel with one of those that I mentioned. Does one need to reflash the whole ROM every time one changes the kernel?
What zip do I flash? There's only several .IMG files for each different kernel. Lyapota offers multiple different kernels in a single zip file, surely I'm not supposed to flash that? And there are no instructions, his English is terrible and I can't even figure out the features and differences between his various under and over clocked kernels.

If you google "how to flash a custom kernel HTC one X" it will come up with several clear hits......

1: take out 1 of the desired boot.img files
2: fastboot flash it
3: install the downloaded .zip file via the custom recovery
4: reboot

Done.

Reactions: asestar

KaiserSnorezay

Jan 26, 2012
Sydney
Nexus 9
OnePlus 3
I'm confused about downloaded zip here. Is this kernel or ROM zip? On those threads for kernels, they provide different kernels (img files) for different voltage settings and features within the same zip file and say to extract and flash the appropriate kernel using fastboot flash boot boot.img. There is no individual zip file for each kernel, and the only zip I have is of the whole ROM. Do I need to flash ROM again each time I change the kernel?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Flash the desired boot.img and yes install the whole downloaded kernel.zip via the recovery. Do not flash the rom after this ! In the kernel threads they never speak about flashing the rom.zip at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: KaiserSnorezay

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore

His English isn't terrible, it's more like yours isn't up to standard that's why

asestar

Oct 25, 2010
Lillestrøm

I can see how this can all seem confusing to a new comer. Fact of matter is, after 2 years of development and updates, devs usually stop posting basic info for new versions of release. They sort of assume the person who is reading have already read the same thing several times and knows exactly what to do.

So to explain plainly:

Kernel is comprising of 2 parts. The img file and "modules". On most HTC phones, you cannot flash BOOT partition from phone itself (done with fastboot boot bootfilename.img). Remember also that you cannot flash MODULES from fastboot, so you have to go into recovery after flashing new boot.

1. Download the kernel you want. It will be in 1 zip file. Make 1 copy of this file on your PHONE and 1 copy on PC.

2. Extract the boot.img file (whichever version of kernel you prefer) ON YOUR PC. Flash this from PC using fastboot commands. Doing this will update kernel in BOOT partition.

3. Now enter custom recovery, use Install option and browse to the zip file obtained in step 1. Flashing this in recovery will copy "modules" in SYSTEM partition.

Doing step 2 only (without step 3), _may_ leave you with a working device that cannot connect to wifi or get phone signals. Doing only step 3 will usually leave unstable phone.

p3r02d3r0

Aug 24, 2010
Zagreb
I can see how this can all seem confusing to a new comer. Fact of matter is, after 2 years of development and updates, devs usually stop posting basic info for new versions of release. They sort of assume the person who is reading have already read the same thing several times and knows exactly what to do.

So to explain plainly:

Kernel is comprising of 2 parts. The img file and "modules". On most HTC phones, you cannot flash BOOT partition from phone itself (done with fastboot boot bootfilename.img). Remember also that you cannot flash MODULES from fastboot, so you have to go into recovery after flashing new boot.

1. Download the kernel you want. It will be in 1 zip file. Make 1 copy of this file on your PHONE and 1 copy on PC.

2. Extract the boot.img file (whichever version of kernel you prefer) ON YOUR PC. Flash this from PC using fastboot commands. Doing this will update kernel in BOOT partition.

3. Now enter custom recovery, use Install option and browse to the zip file obtained in step 1. Flashing this in recovery will copy "modules" in SYSTEM partition.

Doing step 2 only (without step 3), _may_ leave you with a working device that cannot connect to wifi or get phone signals. Doing only step 3 will usually leave unstable phone.

Good explanation. Had the exact problem as the TC. Thanks

Anyway, I have three additional questions.

1. Do I have to do the exact process every time after I flash another ROM?

2. This kernel apparently works well with MIUI?

3. How do I change to another (non-lyapota's) kernel?

Many thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So to explain plainly:

If you google "how to flash a custom kernel HTC one X" it will come up with several clear hits......

1: take out 1 of the desired boot.img files
    2: fastboot flash it
    3: install the downloaded .zip file via the custom recovery
    4: reboot

Done.
    Flash the desired boot.img and yes install the whole downloaded kernel.zip via the recovery. Do not flash the rom after this ! In the kernel threads they never speak about flashing the rom.zip at all.