[Q] Should I root HD+?

Search This thread

woneil

Mar 8, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Apple and their expensive and protective policies. I also have a Nook Color which I rooted. So when my wife suggested she wanted an Ipad, I instead bought her a Nook HD+. I told her "Its got the same screen, expandable memory, costs less, etc., etc." For the most part she has NOT been too happy with it since it randomly stalls, requires frequent restarts, and all the other problems noted, but she has stuck with it and has found some features she likes. My latest disappointment is the external bluetooth keyboard I just bought for it. A Logitech Y-R0034. I finally got it to pair usign a free Japanese app - bluetooth pairing. It seems to be paring and connecting just fine. The only problem is that it does not work. If I try to type something, the default soft keyboard appears, and it is not possible to change the input method.

I am thinking I might as well root the pad. What sort of issues might I encounter. Will the HD+ become even more unstable, will Bluettoth still not work, etc? Or if someone knows how to get the keyboard workignt hat would be great. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

I

irimolsjik572

I think rooting the HD+ makes everything much faster. I would recommend installing CM11. Everything is believe it or not more stable on CM. Not sure why the keyboard wouldn't work, I have never tried a keyboard on my Nook.

Jann F

Jan 13, 2012
Earth
Samsung Galaxy S6
OnePlus 2
I think rooting the HD+ makes everything much faster. I would recommend installing CM11. Everything is believe it or not more stable on CM. Not sure why the keyboard wouldn't work, I have never tried a keyboard on my Nook.

...blah blah try 10.2 first blah blah blah...

Sorry, but CM11 seems not to be that "problem free" atm to recommend it.
Try the last CM10.2 Stable, I'm running it for two months now after downgrading from CM11.

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I tried a keyboard for iPad (case) and it worked great with cm11. The brand is called hipstreet if I remember correctly.

...blah blah try 10.2 first blah blah blah...

Sorry, but CM11 seems not to be that "problem free" atm to recommend it.
Try the last CM10.2 Stable, I'm running it for two months now after downgrading from CM11.

I agree. I am running 10.2.1 on my HD and my wife is running it on her HD+. I tried CM11 on my HD but I don't think it's quite ready for prime-time, especially for someone who is not a technical user.

I keep coming back to 10.2 Stable - mostly for Tablet UI.

But I still have the same problem with my HD+ (all ROMs) that I have with my Nook Tablet BNTV250 (all ROMs). Delayed responses to touches. It seems to be exaggerated when using browsers (all browsers). Setting the governor to Performance makes all the difference, but the loss of stability prevents using it as a permanent solution (freezes and crashes).

Having tried everything I can think of and read about to try, I've concluded it's just the nature of the beast. To wit: all the effort that's been put into LagFix (fstrim), Touchscreen sensitivity experimentation, etc...