[KERNEL] ~1.42GHz HTC Vision/T-Mobile G2 Overclock Module [OTA 11/03 support]

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
EDIT: Perma-root is here! This hack was nice, but this hack is nicer: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834219

HTC Vision/T-Mobile G2 Overclock Module

After two nights of mostly guesswork, I have managed to create an overclocking kernel module for the HTC Vision. The result? I have been able to not only overclock the MSM7x30 in this phone to 1GHz, the stock speed of the higher "binned" but identical 8x55 used in the Desire HD, I have been able to push the processor in my G2 significantly further, up to 1.42GHz! Benchmark scores are very, very high, and the improved CPU performance is in line with what you'd expect from such a high clock frequency. All of this is possible without permanent root (and the ability to flash kernels) because we are using a kernel module and not flashing an actual kernel.

Binary (OTA 11/03): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/vision_oc-g9ab3677.ko
Binary (original stock ROM): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/vision_oc.ko
Source: http://github.com/coolbho3k/vision_oc

This kernel module is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPLv2.

Usage
To use it on a T-Mobile G2 on the stock 2.6.32.17 kernel, copy vision_oc.ko to /data/local and run this command as root:

insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko

This will overclock your phone to the default 1017.6MHz, which is on par with the 8x55. To overclock even higher (or lower), run the following command:

insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko pll2_l_val=53

Where pll2_l_val*19.2 equals the speed (in MHz) that you're overclocking to. For example, 53*19.2 corresponds to 1017.6MHz, while setting pll2_l_val=74 will overclock you to slightly over 1420MHz: insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko pll2_l_val=74 (this is 1.42GHz - be careful! I ran into freezing issues somewhere between 76 and 80, so I figured 74 was stable for my G2, and I've been running it at that all day. If it freezes try 73, 72, etc. Every phone is unique - your mileage may vary. You may even be able to get higher than me.)

If you ever want to change the speed of your overclock without rebooting, run the following command:

rmmod vision_oc.ko

Then run one of the above commands. It's important to note that using a value of 42 (good number :)) for pll2_l_val will make your phone run at 806.4MHz again. Rebooting the phone will reset your root access and your overclock (of course, you probably already knew this). Voltages can also be tweaked for the highest frequency (to know how to do this, read the README link below).

If there's ever an OTA or if you flash a custom kernel, you'll need a recompiled version of the kernel module, and with different addresses. Any kernel dev can easily do this using the documentation below.

To use it on another device (such as an HTC Desire Z, if it runs a different kernel, or even an HTC Desire HD or 8x55 myTouch) running a different kernel, you must re-compile the kernel module from source and refer to the instructions here to modify it (or the installation process) accordingly: http://github.com/coolbho3k/vision_oc/blob/master/README

If you're going to be overclocking, SetCPU sleep/battery/battery temperature profiles can be tremendously helpful.

Want to donate? Buy SetCPU from the Android Market, or there's a donate link in my signature.

Peace!

Video and screenshots

visionscrn_1.png
visionscrn2.png

visionscrn3.png
visionscrn_4.png

Last edited:

KShatzkes

Oct 12, 2010
So I'm still new to this so... where exactly is the /data/local folder? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

havikx

Feb 4, 2009
i think i speak for every1 here...

thank you. you have no idea how happy you have made many many g2 owners. i will donate to you soon, sir.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
damn man thats all i gotta say. The vision will blow anythign and everything out of the water. And to think i still was going to get a nexus. glad i got the vision. Now all we need is an led color changers for the trackpad :)

havikx

Feb 4, 2009
any1 wanna post me a terminal emulator script to make this work without use of a computer?

milenko11

Aug 4, 2009
I am overclocked to the default but I cannot change the value to get it higher than 1 gig. I get the message file already exists.

crr127

Jun 20, 2009
it would be nice to implement this with visionary on boot. i'm sure it will be comming along the pipe line shortly... awesome work

aacrabtree

Jun 12, 2010
You are amazing. Mine seems to be freezing up if I try to push it all the way up, but the 1GHZ OC works amazingly.

Thanks!

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I am overclocked to the default but I cannot change the value to get it higher than 1 gig. I get the message file already exists.
To change your overclock:

rmmod vision_oc.ko
insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko pll2_l_val=74

Try that, hopefully it doesn't crash your phone at 1.42GHz. If it does try a slightly lower value for pll2_l_val, then lower, etc.

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Does this need to be done from pc or can it be done directly from phone also I can't find /data/local on my phone :(

Sent from my HTC Vision G2

aacrabtree

Jun 12, 2010
Does this need to be done from pc or can it be done directly from phone also I can't find /data/local on my phone :(

Sent from my HTC Vision G2

You'll only be able to find it on your phone if you're using a program like Root Explorer that allows you to view everything on your phone.

Easiest way to do it is to use ADB - adb push vision_oc.ko /data/local

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: Perma-root is here! This hack was nice, but this hack is nicer: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834219

HTC Vision/T-Mobile G2 Overclock Module

After two nights of mostly guesswork, I have managed to create an overclocking kernel module for the HTC Vision. The result? I have been able to not only overclock the MSM7x30 in this phone to 1GHz, the stock speed of the higher "binned" but identical 8x55 used in the Desire HD, I have been able to push the processor in my G2 significantly further, up to 1.42GHz! Benchmark scores are very, very high, and the improved CPU performance is in line with what you'd expect from such a high clock frequency. All of this is possible without permanent root (and the ability to flash kernels) because we are using a kernel module and not flashing an actual kernel.

Binary (OTA 11/03): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/vision_oc-g9ab3677.ko
    Binary (original stock ROM): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/vision_oc.ko
    Source: http://github.com/coolbho3k/vision_oc

This kernel module is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPLv2.

Usage
    To use it on a T-Mobile G2 on the stock 2.6.32.17 kernel, copy vision_oc.ko to /data/local and run this command as root:

insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko

This will overclock your phone to the default 1017.6MHz, which is on par with the 8x55. To overclock even higher (or lower), run the following command:

insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko pll2_l_val=53

Where pll2_l_val*19.2 equals the speed (in MHz) that you're overclocking to. For example, 53*19.2 corresponds to 1017.6MHz, while setting pll2_l_val=74 will overclock you to slightly over 1420MHz: insmod /data/local/vision_oc.ko pll2_l_val=74 (this is 1.42GHz - be careful! I ran into freezing issues somewhere between 76 and 80, so I figured 74 was stable for my G2, and I've been running it at that all day. If it freezes try 73, 72, etc. Every phone is unique - your mileage may vary. You may even be able to get higher than me.)

If you ever want to change the speed of your overclock without rebooting, run the following command:

rmmod vision_oc.ko

Then run one of the above commands. It's important to note that using a value of 42 (good number :)) for pll2_l_val will make your phone run at 806.4MHz again. Rebooting the phone will reset your root access and your overclock (of course, you probably already knew this). Voltages can also be tweaked for the highest frequency (to know how to do this, read the README link below).

If there's ever an OTA or if you flash a custom kernel, you'll need a recompiled version of the kernel module, and with different addresses. Any kernel dev can easily do this using the documentation below.

To use it on another device (such as an HTC Desire Z, if it runs a different kernel, or even an HTC Desire HD or 8x55 myTouch) running a different kernel, you must re-compile the kernel module from source and refer to the instructions here to modify it (or the installation process) accordingly: http://github.com/coolbho3k/vision_oc/blob/master/README

If you're going to be overclocking, SetCPU sleep/battery/battery temperature profiles can be tremendously helpful.

Want to donate? Buy SetCPU from the Android Market, or there's a donate link in my signature.

Peace!

Video and screenshots

visionscrn_1.png
    visionscrn2.png

visionscrn3.png
    visionscrn_4.png
    I'm dying to take a crack at flashing roms but scared I'm gonna brick my phone...

hard part's over man, flash away. you can't break it with clockwork installed.
    Yeah bro, flashing roms doesn't brick your phone. Rooting and flashing different radios bricks your phone if you don't follow the instructions to the T.

Download clockwork recovery off the market and you can download and install roms from their on the go. It's easy and does it for you. After you get comfortable with the whole process you will learn how to download the roms onto the root of your SD card and instal the .zip file from recovery yourself. If you don't understand don't worry you will after flashing a few roms and playing with the new recovery.

I was in your position before owning this device but now I feel I'm begining to lose the noob feeling lol.

HTC Vision S-OFF CM6.1 Stable Oc'd to 1.5ghz on Pershoots Kernel :)
    Stop posting in this thread...its obsolete and outdated. If I was a mod Id close it myself.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App