[Q] Help, soft-bricked

Search This thread

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
I have the i9300 but when I boot up into download mode it says PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999 (not my model, though). I think this is because I accidently installed the SGH-T999 version of cyangomenod.

So to try to fix it, I used odin 3.07 and the
"I9300ZSEMC1"
stock rom file to try to put it back onto stock. Odin "stopped working" and crashed and I soft-bricked my phone (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue message at boot).

I tried again using I9300XXEMC3 stock rom, but odin 3.04 says

<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> tz.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

And fails. My phone says "unsupported dev_type" in red.

Can I please get some guidance? I don't know what I did wrong. What rom should I flash with odin? Should I try to flash the SGH-T999 stock rom with odin?

Last edited:

TheoDores

Nov 4, 2013
Mülheim an der Ruhr
I have the i9300 but when I boot up into download mode it says PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999 (not my model, though). I think this is because I accidently installed the SGH-T999 version of cyangomenod.

So to try to fix it, I used odin 3.07 and the
"I9300ZSEMC1"
stock rom file to try to put it back onto stock. Odin "stopped working" and crashed and I soft-bricked my phone (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue message at boot).

Can I please get some guidance? I don't know what I did wrong. What rom should I flash with odin? Should I try to flash the SGH-T999 stock rom with odin?

Try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535367
Hope it help.

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014

I tried following those instructions. I managed to flash the .PIT file. Now I don't see the error message at boot, my screen is just black. BUT I can "sorta" boot into recovery mode (starting recovery message shows for one second, then black screen again). So I'm still stuck.

I can STILL boot into download mode though. And if I try to use CF-Root Odin fails again (same error) and my phone says "unsupported_devtype".

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Flash stock rom via Odin .
But flashing a wrong firmware for a different phone may well be a lot more than a soft brick
Did you also flash wrong recovery ???

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Flash stock rom via Odin .
But flashing a wrong firmware for a different phone may well be a lot more than a soft brick
Did you also flash wrong recovery ???

Everytime I flash the stock rom odin fails and phone says "unsupported dev_type". In Download mode it says my phone model is T999, but it's actual GT-I9300.

And I don't think I did. I think I had clockwork mod recovery, I'm not too sure though.

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You have flashed at least the T999 bootloader, which is why it says that in download mode. If flashing a full i9300 stock rom doesn't help then you'll need a new motherboard.

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
You have flashed at least the T999 bootloader, which is why it says that in download mode. If flashing a full i9300 stock rom doesn't help then you'll need a new motherboard.

That really depresses me. Are you sure this is the only solution? Because I remember when my phone WAS working I booted into download mode once and it said the same "T999 Model" and I could still use it. This only happened after I tried flashing the stock i9300 stock rom.

I think it's the cyanogenmod installer that flashed this T999 bootloader for me. When I used the cyanogenmod installer it detected my phone as a AT&T phone and I was dumb enough to click "install" thinking it would work for all galaxy S3's.

Last edited:

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
I think this guide is exactly what I need (since it restores bootloader), but I can't seem to complete all the steps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535367

I get to #5 but once I try to install CF-ROOT through odin it says the same unsupported dev type error on my phone.

This is the error I get when trying to use CF-ROOT through Odin3 v1.85:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> cache.img
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
(along with the red "Unsupported dev_type" on my phone in download mode).

I think it was already rooted though, maybe someone could help me reinstall the recovery (cwm) so I can install the bootloader from that guide I just linked?

Last edited:

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Best option is to try a rescue firmware, which might help:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30087735&postcount=6&nocache=1&z=8215224728919566

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Will this delete my EFS? I remember I backed up efs with this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852255

I did: "adb reboot nvbackup"

By restoring to "complete" factory settings, won't this efs be deleted? Can I still backup my efs in my 'soft brick' mode I'm in?

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Alright, I've tried using the rescure firmware and all the files, but every time I try I get it a FAIL on odin:

Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> BOOTLOADER_I9300XXEMG4_1314436_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> CODE_I9300XXEMG4_1314436_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> MODEM_I9300XXEMG4_1314436_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> CSC_I9300OXAEMG4_KOR_FACTORY_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> 
<ID:0/003> Re-Partition operation failed.

And my phone says in red "SECURE CHECK FAIL : PIT".

I've spent 12 hours on this now... :(

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
Did you try Kies yet?
Do you still have a custom recovery?

I'm not sure about that adb nvbackup you have done. As far as i know it's only for Qualcomm chipsets not Exynos. Maybe you have severely damaged the device. But try Kies first or if you still have root access with recovery try to flash the bootloader manually.

If everything fails contact the low level guys like @AdamOutler or @Entropy512. They might be your last hope.

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Did you try Kies yet?
Do you still have a custom recovery?

I'm not sure about that adb nvbackup you have done. As far as i know it's only for Qualcomm chipsets not Exynos. Maybe you have severely damaged the device. But try Kies first or if you still have root access with recovery try to flash the bootloader manually.

If everything fails contact the low level guys like @AdamOutler or @Entropy512. They might be your last hope.

I tried Kies on two different computers, but whenever I connect my S3 it just says "connecting" forever and never connects to my phone. Tried solutions online, couldn't get it to work.

And I have root access, but can't boot into recovery (says "recovery booting" for a few seconds then goes black screen). So I don't know if I can flash the bootloader manually, unless I did it with odin.

And those seem like busy developers, would they really have time for me? I don't even know what I would ask. :S

Sorry I seem so clueless, I'm just upset/sad/confused/everything right now. Saved up for this phone for a while.

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
Try to flash the bootloader only. There are different ones. Maybe you need one that is not blacklisted if that's even possible.

Last option that comes to my mind is an external jtag flasher. Maybe you have a local service shop or similar in your area that could help with that.

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Try to flash the bootloader only. There are different ones. Maybe you need one that is not blacklisted if that's even possible.

Last option that comes to my mind is an external jtag flasher. Maybe you have a local service shop or similar in your area that could help with that.

Hmm when I had a functional phone it said I had the ZSEMC1 stock rom, so the "bootLoader_ZSEMC1.tar.md5" flashed from odin should work? I got it off this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2189063

But I don't know if I'm still on ZSEMC1 since I flashed XXEMC3 with odin (but I think it failed) and I got soft bricked.

What could go wrong? Could I hard brick it by installing that bootloader?

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
I have no clue but i think all I9300 bootloaders would be ok. Your problem probably is rather to find one that gets accepted. Try the latest one for I9300. There is a thread with different bootloaders somewhere here i guess.

Also try to flash a custom recovery like twrp or cwm. I'm not sure if official tools like odin have a separate bootloader check that prevents cross model flashing. No one really knows how you did that. Maybe it's necessary to be done with dd.

Last edited:

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
I have no clue but i think all I9300 bootloaders would be ok. Your problem probably is rather to find one that gets accepted. Try the latest one for I9300. There is a thread with different bootloaders somewhere here i guess.

Also try to flash a custom recovery like twrp or cwm. I'm not sure if official tools like odin have a separate bootloader check that prevents cross model flashing. No one really knows how you did that. Maybe it's necessary to be done with dd.

I tried the ZSEMC1 and XXEMC3 and XXEMG5 bootloaders from this thread and they didn't work: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2189063
(shows unsupported dev type)

How do I get the 'latest' boot loader? That thread is the only one I could really find.

And also I did try installing cwm through odin. It didn't "fail" but it doesn't work when I try to boot into recovery. I'm guessing this has to do with my locked bootloader?

Really don't know what to do at this point. :/

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
Check if 'adb shell' is working in recovery nevertheless. Maybe it's just a display issue in cwm. Also try twrp.

If all that fails go to a mobile shop near you asking for a jtag flash. It shouldn't be too expensive or something. Hardest part is probably to find one locally...

Last edited:

zhinkk

Feb 15, 2014
Check if 'adb shell' is working in recovery nevertheless. Maybe it's just a display issue in cwm. Also try twrp.

If all that fails go to a mobile shop near you asking for a jtag flash. It shouldn't be too expensive or something. Hardest part is probably to find one locally...

I tried cwm and twrp. They both install successfully on odin but have the same "recovery starting...." message and they don't work. I've tried connecting the USB when it's in this "recovery" mode but my computer doesn't detect it so I can't start up adb and interface with it.

And also, I doubt I'm going to be able to find any in northwest ohio.I wonder if this service is any good?

http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/

Looks promising for $50.

Sorry I've been on this problem for so long guys, I'm just stubborn and can't get over the fact that it's a software brick and I need to replace hardware. :/

Last edited: