[Q] Tablet S: should I buy it?

Search This thread

andrea.rds

Jan 6, 2012
A question for you all, who already own the Sony tablet S. After the recent price drop I was thinking about buying it, but reading some online reviews, I've almost changed my mind.
These are the issues which can drive me on different products:
- poor screen brightness
- easily scratchable screen
- difficult rendering on certain websites (strange half page displays)
- problems with screen rotation: it often stucks
- poor battery life
- battery drains while the tablet is in stand-by mode
- low memory free space: just 3.7 GB available for apps and system files
- poor movie file compatibility: no way to play .mkv movies (Techradar says: "...anyone who wants to watch video on their Sony Tablet will need to spend hours recoding their files")

Have you experienced these issues too?
Is this tablet worth its (even reduced) price?

Thanks a lot for your replies. I really need them to decide... :confused:

Andrea

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1430959

Why not read this thread, there you can find a little info on the subject.

"- poor movie file compatibility: no way to play .mkv movies (Techradar says: "...anyone who wants to watch video on their Sony Tablet will need to spend hours recoding their files")" <-- not true, I play lots of different files/movies on my tablet (including .mkv).

Reactions: andrea.rds

andrea.rds

Jan 6, 2012

"- poor movie file compatibility: no way to play .mkv movies (Techradar says: "...anyone who wants to watch video on their Sony Tablet will need to spend hours recoding their files")" <-- not true, I play lots of different files/movies on my tablet (including .mkv).
Thanks for the reply. I read that thread but I could find there just a couple of answers. Nothing about the battery, for instance, which is one of my biggest doubts.

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
You will find flaws in every tablet out there. No one is perfect :(

- easily scratchable screen <-- mine isn't. No scratches yet.
- difficult rendering on certain websites <-- nothing I have noticed (yet)
- problems with screen rotation: it often stucks <- not on my tablet
- poor battery life <-- depends on what you compare with. What do you expext? I think 8-10 hours is good. Sometimes more depending what you do with the machine.

- battery drains while the tablet is in stand-by mode <-- tru, but don't all do that? and what do they know with drains, 4-5% a night? I don't see that as any real problem.

- low memory free space: just 3.7 GB available for apps and system files <-- you have SD-card slot that you can use for movies, music, pictures and other stuff. 3.7gb can get you pretty far anyhow. I manage with less that 400mb on my cell-phone. Ok, if you install a lot of ps-games and/or download a lot of movies (rental/buy) then yes 3.7 will be lost fast.

Hope this will clear up some more. Anything else? just ask.

raqball

Jun 21, 2010
New York
At the current price of $399 It's an awesome Tablet.. I sold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 a few days ago and picked the Sony up.. No regrets at all as it is an awesome Tablet..

My .02

Reactions: andrea.rds

andrea.rds

Jan 6, 2012
You might want to go ahead and get the transformer prime...

The transformer t201 (prime) wa. s my first choice. But here in Italy it will be priced starting from 499 euro. I found the Tablet S at 318 euro. So, since I already own a i-5 Sony vaio as desktop replacement, i don't need too mobile power and the price difference is driving my choice.

andrea.rds

Jan 6, 2012
I will get the tablet S

Thanks for the replies. I will get the Tablet S. :D See you in this forum as soon as I will get it with my first impressions. ;)

whmcal

Jul 18, 2008
You should buy it. My only gripe is the bright LED. Other than that great tablet and i agree IR function is unrivaled. I also own galaxy 7 plus and HTC flyer. Each have perks, but Sony is the bigger all rounder.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using xda premium

csphea

Nov 4, 2009
I think you should buy it then. incredible price with incredible spec, i just order this tablet.

agc93

Mar 14, 2011
Brisbane
I've had my Tablet for a couple of weeks now (I got it the day of the price drop here in Aus) and I have been very impressed. As a previous owner of a Galaxy Tab, this is a pretty damn awesome tablet.

My screen still looks as spectacular as always, webpages always work (except for iPhone-specific ones, which get stretched badly) and the battery has been stupendous. With the tablet in standby, I've only ever lost a maximum of 3% over a whole night.

The video problems that site mentions are there on the stock apps (the stock Video Player seems quite picky), but can easily be circumvented with any of the apps from the Market.

I would definitely suggest buying this, even just for the IR blaster, which is amazing!

N

NNe00

Thanks for the reply. I read that thread but I could find there just a couple of answers. Nothing about the battery, for instance, which is one of my biggest doubts.

Battery life: I've managed to get 8:30 hours of continuous play, browsing, videos etc on a single charge.

Multimedia: I've found a great combination: File Manager HD (can access files from the real sd card connected as well as shares from a windows pc) + VPlayer (plays all of my videos, mkv, avi & mp4 from the sd card or streaming from pc with no problems at all)

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
just buy the damn tablet already; you'll love it. battery life is great. screen is great. software is great but compatibility with market apps is not so great (for now).

thatu

Nov 3, 2010
I've looked at many tablets (and the overpriced ipad2) before choosing the Sony S. I think it is a great tablet and has many features that aren't offered in any other competing product. The IR is cool (works on most devices), the PS compatibility is another good feature although currently only PS One games are supported

Screen and brightness are good, battery life is very good (I have read a review that ranked it lower than the iPad2 due to poor battery but I have to disagree with that!

Had a few issues with WiFi but not all the time, when it happens I just turn off WiFi then on again and the problem goes away

For the price I would highly recommend it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

At the current price of $399 It's an awesome Tablet.. I sold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 a few days ago and picked the Sony up.. No regrets at all as it is an awesome Tablet..

My .02