Thunderbolt Inductive charging

Search This thread

je2345

Mar 2, 2009
Holland
Verizon now has stock of the LG wireless charging pad for $69.99. Unfortunately they are out of stock of the Inductive charging door to work with the pad. Door is priced at $39.99 when available though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

ilogik

May 27, 2006
Sweet, kind of expensive though... $39 just for a door?

Do you have a link? I did not see it listed under chargers.

Last edited:

SJUnion

Mar 25, 2011
New Jersey
Is there anymore information on this product? I came from a Palm Pre + that had this and I miss it very much.

mcmillanje

Dec 19, 2010
Door probably costs like a dollar to make -_-

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

Maybe a dollar's worth of material, but add design costs, testing, employees, shipping, retail employees, and enough markup to make it worth bringing to market and the price Isn't unreasonable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Seems silly to require a door when our current door supports inductive charing...

lgldrgdlr

Apr 30, 2010

BotsOne

Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
The stock battery door looks to me like it may have a coil built into it. Granted I have never seen a door with a coil before, but it looks like there is some kind of grid pattern on the inside of it, and it also has the contacts that electrically attach the door to the phone. I suppose it could be a wifi antenna or LTE antenna also. Anyone know what this is?

worm-

Apr 30, 2010
pull the back off your phone. there are two contacts that touch the back door those are for signal boost of your phone.

Then just above the batter are these 4 pins that look like :: , from my understanding those are going to be the pins that an induction charger back touches to charge the phone through induction.

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Yep, it's an antenna. Lte I believe.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

But, from what I have read here, there are two other contacts that are made for the inductive charging door. So... instead of buy the charging door from verizon, you can make one like they did in the evo post, except you won't have to open the actual phone up, you can just route the wire to make contact at those charging points.

weinbee

Apr 3, 2011
left coast
pull the back off your phone. there are two contacts that touch the back door those are for signal boost of your phone.

Then just above the batter are these 4 pins that look like :: , from my understanding those are going to be the pins that an induction charger back touches to charge the phone through induction.

I thought the assumption was that those were for NFC.

ERIFNOMI

Oct 11, 2010

patdroid1

Mar 25, 2011
give it a try....what can it hurt??? lol

yeah phone works fine..wifi works fine...all u lose is 3g and 4g data

craighwk

Dec 29, 2009
Denver
Hm, I don't know if I can get by the fact the phone needs to be lined up right for it to charge. I routinely use my phone while it's charging, so having it lay there seems....like I'm not their intended market. :)

I'd imagine we're not too far off from having wireless charging that has some sort of radius around it. Man, I can't wait for that. Wires drive me mental.

je2345

Mar 2, 2009
Holland
I don't think our door supports inductive charging. When you go to www.Verizonwireless.com in the search bar type in inductive charging and the first query will populate the battery door. Haven't found the charging pad on their website but calling in to customer service will allow you to order one. Tell them you want LG charging pad as that the one that is required.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Palm mod

I performed the Palm mod by taking the coil out of the Palm Pixi Plus case and soldering it into the TB. I bought the case and Palm Touchstone from Verizon's website. I noticed that after the mod the largest current draw I have is ~250mA. When plugged in with a wall AC charger I get up to 800mA. Has anyone else performed this mod and is experiencing the same results?

Have cover what do you need to know?

get infected ( InfectedRom.com )
    Have cover what do you need to know?

get infected ( InfectedRom.com )

Do you have a multimeter (voltmeter) handy that you can do some checks for us?

Mainly need to do checks on the connection points for the back cover to see which connections are positive and which are negative.

If you can, take a reading with a multimeter with the case back on and connected (as best as you can do it since the multimeter wires will have to go under the case).

Also try another reading right after taking the case perhaps as well.

If that isn't enough details, just let me know.

EDIT:

I may not need you to do it after all. The multimeter I used was busted I think. I tried a different one and the bottom right one is + and the top left one is - and the other 2 are not used. I'll report back when I get it set up. I need some wire from the store today.

Appreciate the offer to test though.

EDIT2:

I tested attaching wires to the gold prongs under the case and it showed as "charging (inductive)" when hooked up to the hp touchstone charger. I don't think it's possible to really hold them in place for a permanent solution without soldering though. They're just too tiny.

However, anyone that has been holding off wanting to do inductive charging without the $40 dollar case back, go find a cheap case backing for a palm pre/pixi and take off the coil and attach to our phones and to the prongs located next to the battery. Easy peasy and no opening up the phone itself (which would void the warranty for sure). You can get the touchstones for the HP pre/pixi + ac cord for dirt cheap as well (4 to 5 bucks). So total, you would be spending a max of say 16 dollars or so for the case back + touchstone + ac cord instead of probably 80+ for "official" stuff for the thunderbolt.
    Wow, this is super cool. I am doing this ASAP.

Links from amazon are below for anyone else interested.

Back cover is $4.00 (NEW).

Charger is $4.97 from verizon (NEW).

How are you holding the contacts on to the gold points? Tape? Does the coil fit inside the battery compartment with the back closed all the way? Is the charging speed equivalent to wall charging or is it the lowered voltage (usb equivalent)?

They're soldered to the points (with tape over that). I don't trust any other way to make them stick there.

Yes, it fits (barely).

Induction charging probably takes 20-30% longer. Keeps the usb port from wearing out though. I had it happen once on a blackberry before my 2 year contract was up. Ended up rigging up a usb cord to charge on the dock points for it directly by slicing it open.

You'll need a cord to go with the charger as well (verizon also sells them cheap, just look for palm pre/pixi ac cords). You could use the one that came with your phone though, but I just liked having another one (and they're cheap [like 4 dollars] and better quality than the HTC one).
    Just an fyi if anyone is still looking for the charging back...

Found this -> http://www.amazon.com/HTC-ThunderBo...726&sr=8-4&keywords=thunderbolt+charging+back

not sure how reputable the company is, but its all I could find.