TEST: Fix Flickering Screen And All Other Issues

Search This thread
D

Delusphere

I have an idea, that I'm willing to test. This is my first post in the Dev Section, so go easy on me if I have made any mistakes.
I'm sure many of you are aware of the issues with the One X, Flickering, Glitchy UI etc. So, I came up with a idea -
I have 2 HTC One X in my possession, one works flawlessly but has a Yellow screen (Because it is possibly made by Sharp), the other which is my first one, has flickering and every problem you can imagine.
So, If I was to get the ROM from my working Yellow screen One X, onto my first One X, is it possible that this would stop all the problems AND work on the clearer screen (possibly made by Acer)?

I'm willing to test it. But my time is running out. Both phones are due back within 3 weeks now as I've filed for a refund from Amazon. And before I do this, will it stop me from getting a refund? Regardless, the phones have issues (I guess the yellow screen is not a bug, but it is not the phone I purchased - if you get me).

So, what do I do? How do I dump my ROM, and how do I get it on my first One X?

All I know is to unlock them both on htcdev.com, but rooting and getting Clockwork/xRecovery (whatever it's name is now), I haven't got a clue. I've done it with all my other devices (around 6 or 7), but this is a different kettle of fish.

Thanks!

DM

molecule_cc

Feb 12, 2010
Cairo
I don't know if it's possible to return an unlocked phone, because unlocking the phone voids some parts of the warranty. But i believe that there's a way to return the phone to it's locked state by re-locking and flashing the stock RUU, but i haven't tried it, and i don't know if it's possible to do with the one X.

kruppin

Dec 17, 2010
localhost
You really think the phones have different ROMs? Because that's what you are suggesting, and in that case there would be different RRU's also. And also a clean RRU install would fix the flicker in that case, which I'm sure it doesn't.. And also, I think the screens are made by Samsung, but I'm not sure. The few I've tested have had the same panel ID even though one is warmer (yellower) than the other.

And lastly, you won't be able to return it if you've unlocked it though htcdev.com.. Maybe, if your lucky they don't check, you could re-lock it and hope for the best. But I guess Amazon know's what to look for. :p You better leave the dev'ing to the devs. ;)

Last edited:
D

Delusphere

You really think the phones have different ROMs? Because that's what you are suggesting, and in that case there would be different RRU's also. And also a clean RRU install would fix the flicker in that case, which I'm sure it doesn't.. And also, I think the screens are made by Samsung, but I'm not sure. The few I've tested have had the same panel ID even though one is warmer (yellower) than the other.

And lastly, you won't be able to return it if you've unlocked it though htcdev.com.. Maybe, if your lucky they don't check, you could re-lock it and hope for the best. But I guess Amazon know's what to look for. :p You better leave the dev'ing to the devs. ;)

Your right. Not unless the FW is stored on a server and somehow is locked to you when you download the FW for reinstall. I'll give this a shot. I'm back on Ubuntu now, so I'm not 100% sure how to update my HTC using it... I'll look.

Last edited:

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
Your right. Not unless the FW is stored on a server and somehow is locked to you when you download the FW for reinstall. I'll give this a shot. I'm back on Ubuntu now, so I'm not 100% sure how to update my HTC using it... I'll look.

Check the software version number, if it's the same then there is no benefit to "copying" the rom from one to the other.

M.

D

Delusphere

Check the software version number, if it's the same then there is no benefit to "copying" the rom from one to the other.

M.

I just thought it might be worth a shot. No one seems to have an answer as to why the screen flickers. I'm just trying to narrow what could be wrong down by doing tests.

mwilky

Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Manchester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I just thought it might be worth a shot. No one seems to have an answer as to why the screen flickers. I'm just trying to narrow what could be wrong down by doing tests.

The answer is most probably faulty hardware, I've tried loads of roms not one fixes the flicker, mine gets replaced Monday.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

kruppin

Dec 17, 2010
localhost

It's surely not software. Maybe if the nand is broken and your screen drivers just happens to be at the bad blocks every time (and don't get remapped) :p No, don't waste your time and possibly money on this, it's most likely faulty hardware anyway. You could "adb pull /proc/last_dmsg last_dmsg" then open that file in a text editor and check if the both phones hade the same panel ID. If not, then it could be driver-related. Or maybe it's as simple as a loose connection. :)

OdeeanRDeathshead

Jan 6, 2006
www.odeean.com
I am pretty sure the flicker is software and not hardware. I get it, it normally starts ( but is not limited to ) when on the home screen. If you are experiencing flicker navigate somewhere with the option to bring up a menu. When I bring up a menu over the flickering screen the menu is solid and does not flicker while the activity underneath is still distorted.

I have tried killing sense to let it restart and that normally gets rid of the flicker.

(I call it flicker but it is really more like the image on the screen warps from the bottom but stays still at the top in a fluctuating way.)