[Q] OSD cpu measuring app

Search This thread

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008
Hi guys,
I'm trying to understand how and how much thermal throttling influences my LG G2 performance while using games; to achieve this I need some app that can show me, in real time, osd on-screen-display while I'm playing, the usage of the 4 cores of the snapdragon800. I'm more interested in their frequencies than in load percentage.
I tried to search on the web, but I didn't find what I'm looking for, but, I saw a video (this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z6_nx1bUU ) in which there is exactly the app I'm searching for (the one on top left "multicore usage" ... I don't know if other boxes are from the same app).
Someone knows this app's name? or can recommend me an app with the same features?

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Hey!
While I don't have the knowledge of an app that does exactly what you want, I've read countless times that the SD800 starts at max load and then throttles down as the CPU gets hotter. It would be interesting to see exactly HOW much it uses.

What I've done, though, is to start playing Asphalt 8 and having a CPU monitor from Android System Tuner on my home screen. I'd then play a bit, then quickly go home and open the CPU monitor. First 5 minutes it was at 2.26Ghz, then it throttled down to 1.95 Ghz and finally after about 10 minutes it throttled down to 1.72Ghz.
Now these times arent quite precise bit it should give you and idea of what to expect. I'm more than interested in hearing what kind of results you get, so go for it!

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008
Hey!
While I don't have the knowledge of an app that does exactly what you want, I've read countless times that the SD800 starts at max load and then throttles down as the CPU gets hotter. It would be interesting to see exactly HOW much it uses.

What I've done, though, is to start playing Asphalt 8 and having a CPU monitor from Android System Tuner on my home screen. I'd then play a bit, then quickly go home and open the CPU monitor. First 5 minutes it was at 2.26Ghz, then it throttled down to 1.95 Ghz and finally after about 10 minutes it throttled down to 1.72Ghz.
Now these times arent quite precise bit it should give you and idea of what to expect. I'm more than interested in hearing what kind of results you get, so go for it!

I'm doing a similiar thing with Trickster mod to see how much time is spent on every single frequency... but it's very difficult to understand something in this way. The only thing I can say is that my snapdragon800 throttles like hell....
In 30 minutes playing:
only few seconds at 2265, 1958 and 1728 MHz (the same for 960 and 1190 MHz... I think this 2 frequencies are unused in playing)
2 minutes maximum for 1574 and 1497 MHz
Most of the playing time is at 1036 MHz and 1267 MHz....
But, generally I can't say at what frequency Thermal throttling is influencing smoothness.... this is why I need some app like computer programs such as atitraytool or msi afterburner... this is the only way to understand precisely.

However, I discovered that the benchmark used in the video of the first post, is a "Qualcomm" tech demo with built-in osd... but I'm unable to find and download it

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
I'm doing a similiar thing with Trickster mod to see how much time is spent on every single frequency... but it's very difficult to understand something in this way. The only thing I can say is that my snapdragon800 throttles like hell....
In 30 minutes playing:
only few seconds at 2265, 1958 and 1728 MHz (the same for 960 and 1190 MHz... I think this 2 frequencies are unused in playing)
2 minutes maximum for 1574 and 1497 MHz
Most of the playing time is at 1036 MHz and 1267 MHz....
But, generally I can't say at what frequency Thermal throttling is influencing smoothness.... this is why I need some app like computer programs such as atitraytool or msi afterburner... this is the only way to understand precisely.

However, I discovered that the benchmark used in the video of the first post, is a "Qualcomm" tech demo with built-in osd... but I'm unable to find and download it

What PVS bin is your SD800? You can check that in the hidden menu.
Keep in mind that there's another factor to determine the smoothness which you shouldn't forget - The frequency of the GPU. It might be interesting to monitor that too.

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Hey for now you can try cool tool from play store which won't give multi core stats but it does display the constant change in frequency

Sent from my Potato powered G2 D800

Attachments

• 1402317817693.jpg
    1402317817693.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: titomax82

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
What does this me? Please help me with more detailed instructions on how to see it

Well PVS is basically how "good" your chip is. It is a scale from 0-6 where 6 is the best and describes how many volts your chip needs to achieve maximum frequency.
You can check it by entering (on a D802)
3845#*802#
Then go into "Settings" AND "Version Info" - scroll down and see.
Naturally, the lower your PVS bin is, the more heat your phone will produce since it needs a higher voltage to acquire same frequency. This also means more throttling.

Reactions: titomax82

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008
Well PVS is basically how "good" your chip is. It is a scale from 0-6 where 6 is the best and describes how many volts your chip needs to achieve maximum frequency.
3845#*802#
Naturally, the lower your PVS bin is, the more heat your phone will produce since it needs a higher voltage to acquire same frequency. This also means more throttling.

It's 4
I think it's quite good (infact I have -50mv, that is 2 steps less with trickstermod, on every frequency)

However, I found "PerfMon" here in xda... that has a floating window that monitors every single core usage and frequency (just a pity it doesn't monitor temperature...)

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008
Also I noticed that gpu stays at 320MHz max while it should be 450 (in trickstermod it's correct)

Performance "gpu" governor works (but kills battery staying always at 450 MHz)

Simple_OnDemand "gpu" governor gets phone into bootloop

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
cpu throttles at 75c first ti 1.9 ghz, as the phone heats up more it will drop to 1.7. Phone will shut of at 92c.

and yes i got to 92C turning off throttling on CM and running antutu, wouldn't advice it ^_^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey for now you can try cool tool from play store which won't give multi core stats but it does display the constant change in frequency

Sent from my Potato powered G2 D800
    What does this me? Please help me with more detailed instructions on how to see it

3845#*802#