Car Mount

Search This thread

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
Now that I`m getting my dongle I`m wondering if anyone out there has tried a car mount for their Prime. With the large screen and now functional GPS this would make a phenomenal in car GPS unit. My only concern would be damaging the Prime due to a bracket not supporting it properly causing it to fall. Anyone`s experience would be appreciated.

Jeff

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
I have this one from Arkon, and love it. The extension arm rests on my dash, and the suction cup is relatively low on the window. I have never experienced any problems with the Prime falling out, or the whole mount falling down, because since the arm rests on the dash, there is minimal weight applied to the suction cup.

http://www.arkon.com/tablet-accessories/universal-tablet-windshield-mount.html

Bob

Reactions: collinsac24

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
I have this one from Arkon, and love it. The extension arm rests on my dash, and the suction cup is relatively low on the window. I have never experienced any problems with the Prime falling out, or the whole mount falling down, because since the arm rests on the dash, there is minimal weight applied to the suction cup.

Bob

Got that same one but from Amazon. Only $30 w/ my Prime.

Also picked this one up for my little boy and my backseat passengers lol

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-...CLTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335471406&sr=8-2

24dupo24

I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arkon-TAB178-Removable-No-Glue-Sticky-Car-Dash-Desktop-Tablet-and-iPad-Mount-/360446004720?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item53ec418df0#ht_816wt_1163 one from Arkon. Love the sticky pad it has. Same sticky pad that is on the mount for my HTC phone. Same sticky material that the whacky wall walkers had in the 80s. sticks to ANYTHING. Still waiting for it to come in .... was very hard to find on ebay, its the only one of its kind that i found after days of searching for a non piece of crap.

TeeT

Aug 5, 2007
GPS dongle ?

Bob

How about adding the GPS dongle ?

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
I just measured my dongle.....man that just doesn`t sound right. Anyways it`s 7 1/8 inch wide. Can you let me know if this would fit with your mount. I`ve looked at tons of mounts and yours seems to be one of the better solutions right now.

Thanks

Jeff

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
I just measured my dongle.....man that just doesn`t sound right. Anyways it`s 7 1/8 inch wide. Can you let me know if this would fit with your mount. I`ve looked at tons of mounts and yours seems to be one of the better solutions right now.

Thanks

Jeff

Well, the spread on the mount tabs only gives about 4" of clearance. BUT, in reality, you only need one tab on the top holding it. Attached is a pic of the keyboard (since I'm using the TP for the pic and it shows the edge of the dongle area) and the keyboard still holds solidly in there. Also notice my mounting. The extension arm (adjustable) rests on the dash, so, with the tablet supplying a downward weight, the suction cup would be "pushed" into the window so it's not like phone/gps attachments where everything tends to pull it off the window, the TP is actually doing the opposite.

The tabs are spring-loaded, so in order to insert the TP between the tabs, you would insert the top of the TP, push upward, then slide the bottom in.
I can't really tell you the force required, but it's definitely not minimal.

I think that the TP, in the mount, would stay in position even in a front or rear end collision.

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
I received my Arkon windshield mount today. With the dongle attached I can use all 4 feet of the bracket because the bottom of the bracket is spring loaded and easily accomodates the dongle while still keeping the tablet very secure in the mount. I haven't tried it in the car yet but the build quality seems quite good.

Jeff

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
I received my Arkon windshield mount today. With the dongle attached I can use all 4 feet of the bracket because the bottom of the bracket is spring loaded and easily accomodates the dongle while still keeping the tablet very secure in the mount. I haven't tried it in the car yet but the build quality seems quite good.

Jeff
Did you get the same one I got, or did you get one of the variations? I was wondering if you ever got one after looking at the different options. I know that I am very happy with mine.

If you don't have a Nav program, I strongly recommend CoPilot Live Premium.
There are a couple of threads here that discuss the different options.

Bob

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
I got the same one. Really like the build quality and it holds the tablet very securely even with the dongle. I am trying to decide between sygic and copilot. Reviews seem to be fairly evenly split. Its too bad there is no copilot trial. I've been playing with the sygic trial and really like it.

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
I am trying to decide between sygic and copilot. Reviews seem to be fairly evenly split. Its too bad there is no copilot trial. I've been playing with the sygic trial and really like it.

I'd suggest going to the CoPilot site and take a look at the video. From what I understand, all the add-ons for Sygic make it more expensive then CoPilot Live Premium....and I would definitely recommend the Premium over the standard.

You might want to take a look at the comments in this thread....Quite varied

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/transformer-prime-general-discussions/20551-any-gps-only-navigation-app-prime.html

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
Quick update....I took my tablet for a spin in my car this afternoon. The mount is really solid and secure. The tablet is not going anywhere. If anyone else is looking for a car mount this is definitely a great option, especially at $40.

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
So I ended up purchasing Co-Pilot Premium and unfortunately I was really disappointed in it. I did a lot of reading of reviews and watching video reviews and it seemed like a great deal and I really good piece of software. However, the Canadian maps are ridiculously out of date. I live in a rural area of Ottawa (the capital of Canada). My house was built on a new street 11yrs ago and the street isn`t even on their map. I have also quickly noticed a few other road changes that were made in Ottawa at least 8yrs ago that are not reflected on their map. I really like the program itself, it`s fantastic...but with the map being so out of date I`d be hesitant to rely on it for a trip. I have contacted Co-Pilot and requested a refund due to how badly out of date their Canadian map is....but I`m not holding my breath.

Jeff

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
My house was built on a new street 11yrs ago and the street isn`t even on their map. I have also quickly noticed a few other road changes that were made in Ottawa at least 8yrs ago that are not reflected on their map.
Jeff

I am surprised that their Canadian Maps are so out of date. However, they are not alone in this issue. My niece moved to a new house (similar situation) a number of years ago. So long ago, I don't remember the dates. But I had the same problem of finding her....I used Google Maps, Mapquest, Navteq Maps, Teleatlas Maps...None of those companies showed her development till very recently.
Do you know that other sources have your street identified? Maybe you're in the same boat I was...where nobody has it.

CoPilot does have a nice feature where you can identify map errors. They will check them out and fix their maps accordingly. You can submit a map Update on this page

http://www.copilotlive.com/us/support/

or even in the app itself, by going to "MyCoPilot" then selecting "Submit a Map Improvement".

FYI: Most map changes take close to a year to get to the consumer. Navteq will make changes, then quarterly will send them to the software vendors. The vendors then massage the data to meet their program requirements...After all that, it is eventually released as a map update.

I'm not sure that Sygic would be any better, and avoid NAVFree for now....They showed my location in the 'wrong town"

Bob

Jeff1192

Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah I was shocked. My address and all the streets around it were on google within a year. They're also on my Garmin and have been for some time. I have submitted the corrections to them and opened a support ticket as well. Sygic shows all these locations properly as well.

Jeff

Top Liked Posts