[APP][2.3+][FREE] IntelliCover 2.0 - Display Automation using Proximity/Light

Search This thread

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Hi there xda. A few months ago I posted my first app, IntelliCover, on xda-developers. It got a great response here and was featured on the front page of xda-developers and went on to feature on Discovery Channel's App Snap. Of course, being the smart person that I am...Well, let's just say I lost it...Yes, lost the app...Don't ask how. Anyways, I saw this as a chance to rebuild the app with all your suggestions in mind, from the ground up. So here it is, IntelliCover 2.0!

※ DESCRIPTION

IntelliCover 2.0 is a utility which uses your device’s proximity sensor, light sensor and/or accelerometer to turn the screen on and off, allowing fast and efficient access to your phone or tablet.

It turns the screen off automatically when you put your device in your pockets, close its flip cover, store the device in a bag, or even just leave the device facing down on a table. As soon as the device is back in your hand the proximity/light sensor is triggered again, the screen turns back on and your device in instantly ready for use. This improves productivity immensely on large devices or devices that do not have physical hardware buttons.

IntelliCover 2.0 is the completely revamped and redesigned version of IntelliCover, rebuilt from scratch after listening to the feedback of thousands of users.

※ COMPATIBILITY

IntelliCover works on all Android devices that have a light or proximity sensor, or an accelerometer. It does NOT require your device to be rooted.

※ FEATURES

• Sensor Calibration: Screen On Delay, Screen Off Delay, Suspension Timers, Application Suspension, Light/Shake Sensitivity Calibration
• Application Settings: Disable in Portrait/Landscape Mode, Go to Home Screen, Remove Lock Screen, Screen Off Only, Screen On Only, Start on Boot, Save Profile (Settings), Restore Profile, Restore Default Settings
• Modes: Proximity Mode, Shake Mode, Light Mode, Proximity and Light Combo Mode
• Notifications: Proximity Warning (Vibration), Status Bar Notification
• Toggles(Screen On/Off): Airplane Mode, Auto Sync, Bluetooth, Ringer Mode, Wi-fi

※ SCREENSHOTS

Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-43-52.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-19.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-31.jpg

※ CHANGELOG

Version 1.0.5 (07/09/2013)
•Fixed problems caused by previous update

Version 1.0.4 (07/09/2013)
•Added Russian language
•Added Pocket Protector Mode
•Fixed crashes, wakelock problems and screen timeout issues
•More battery optimization

Version 1.0.3 (24/08/2013)
•Fixed the crashes caused by previous update.

Version 1.0.2 (24/08/2013)
•Fixed both crashing issues
•Fixed "Remove Lock Screen"
•Fixed "Go to Home Screen" for ignored apps (Application Blacklist)
•Fixed toggles for "Start on Boot"
•Added Widget
•Added Screen Timeout patch
•Removed multiple memory leaks (Battery Optimization)
•"Screen Off Only"/"Screen On Only" now completely turns off proximity sensor when display turns off/on
•Reformatted all text to make it translation-ready (Turkish/Italian versions coming soon)

Version 1.0.1 (15/08/2013)
• Fixed Device Admin cancellation bug.
• Removed all Device Admin permissions except for Force Lock.

Version 1.0.0 (14/08/2013)
- Application released.

※ DOWNLOAD

Link to the Play Store: IntelliCover 2.0 v1.0.5

Last edited:

samsung_karl

Aug 14, 2013
Awesome app!

Thanks a lot! The app works flawlessly on my Note, really handy indeed.

One question, is this app compatible with tablets, specifically, Nexus 7? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't get it to work on that device.

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi

One question, is this app compatible with tablets, specifically, Nexus 7? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't get it to work on that device.

I'm glad you like the app. :)

Yes, the app is designed to work on all tablets, and has been tested for compatibility on Nexus 7 specifically. Tablets do not have proximity sensor (usually) so you'll have to use it in "Light Mode" which uses the light sensor instead. Don't worry, it works just as well as the proximity sensor. If you are already using light mode, please let me know and I'll try to help you. Can you tell me which Android version you're using?

Reactions: samsung_karl

samsung_karl

Aug 14, 2013

Yes, the app is designed to work on all tablets, and has been tested for compatibility on Nexus 7 specifically. Tablets do not have proximity sensor (usually) so you'll have to use it in "Light Mode" which uses the light sensor instead. Don't worry, it works just as well as the proximity sensor. If you are already using light mode, please let me know and I'll try to help you. Can you tell me which Android version you're using?

Ah, sorry, my bad. It works great in light mode. I assumed tablets had a proximity sensor (I'm kinda new around here ;) ).

One more thing. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when the Device Administrator page popped up, I clicked cancel by mistake, but it kept showing up again and again until I clicked Activate. It kept reappearing unless I accepted it.

Thanks again!

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Ah, sorry, my bad. It works great in light mode. I assumed tablets had a proximity sensor (I'm kinda new around here ;) ).

One more thing. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when the Device Administrator page popped up, I clicked cancel by mistake, but it kept showing up again and again until I clicked Activate. It kept reappearing unless I accepted it.

Thanks again!

Whoops, that's a weird bug. This is what I get for adding last minute untested modifications. I should've known better. =/ Thanks for the tip, I'll fix it by the next update. =)

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Released an absolutely vital mini update. If you are on V1.0.0, please update ASAP.

Talon88

Jun 13, 2009
Toronto
Hi Dev.

Thanks for making a very good apps for us.
I am using your Original IntelliCover & its work great
on my Nexus 4 with Cover Case, I am loving it.

Should I need to uninstall the IntelliCover 1 & install the IntelliCover 2...?
Google Play doesn't show up update alert for the new v2....???!!!!

Whats the different between IntelliCover 1 & 2, I see the new one have
much larger file size, 1000k vs 4000k, Which version will work
best on my Nexus 4...?

Thanks...!

Last edited:

raj_k_r

Feb 23, 2011
Bengaluru
Its good but takes lot of RAM compared to intellicover 1 (almost three times). Thank you for making this app anyways but I am still fine with intellicover 1 and that works great. I have to say one thing, for me both work flawless. Please keep intellicover 1 also on google play. Looks like it is removed now.

Last edited:

phonixloo

May 27, 2012
Small bug that annoy me a lot and improvement request

Bug
1. Remove lock screen will work for sometimes only. It will not work after sometime. It will go back to lock screen mode automatically even the option I already select.

Improvement request
1. When manually press the power button to off the screen, set the program off for temporary so it won't auto screen on again.

Other than that, it is one of the best app I like :laugh:

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Hi Dev.

best on my Nexus 4...?

Thanks...!

I would recommend installing the new version since I will not be updating the old version anymore and the new one has more features. But the new version is still a little buggy since I had to rebuild the whole app, so if you want to wait a little bit, that makes sense too. I couldn't post an update on the old one because I lost the keys for the app and all its data as well. =( That's one reason I had to rebuild it. That's also why the old one hasn't been updated in months. The new one is a bigger filesize because it has a lot more features and a big UI upgrade. =)

Its good but takes lot of RAM compared to intellicover 1 (almost three times). Thank you for making this app anyways but I am still fine with intellicover 1 and that works great. I have to say one thing, for me both work flawless. Please keep intellicover 1 also on google play. Looks like it is removed now.

Yes, I realize it is taking up quite a bit of RAM for some reason. I wanted to get the app out there but I haven't started optimizing it completely yet. It makes sense for you to use IntelliCover 1 for now, but I plan on rolling out alot of updates soon that will optimize it, so keep an eye out. ;)

Bug
1. Remove lock screen will work for sometimes only. It will not work after sometime. It will go back to lock screen mode automatically even the option I already select.

Improvement request
1. When manually press the power button to off the screen, set the program off for temporary so it won't auto screen on again.

The lock screen issue is a known bug. I'm working on fixing it as soon as I can, hopefully by next update. ;) Manually pressing the power button should keep the screen off...Hmmm...are you using the proximity sensor or the light sensor?

phonixloo

May 27, 2012
The lock screen issue is a known bug. I'm working on fixing it as soon as I can, hopefully by next update. ;) Manually pressing the power button should keep the screen off...Hmmm...are you using the proximity sensor or the light sensor?

In fact I would like to have featured once press the power button to shut off screen, it can automatically disable the program until we manually unlock the screen.

By the way I use proximity sensor only.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
In fact I would like to have featured once press the power button to shut off screen, it can automatically disable the program until we manually unlock the screen.

Yes, I'm adding that option too. It's been requested by many users, so I'll add it to "Screen Off Only" for the next update. =)

Reactions: phonixloo

eclair88

Oct 14, 2010
@dragonnis

im using galaxy tab which have no proximity only light sensor.
the program shut my screen too often while im still using the tab.
i have calibrated the app but still it is not working.
i do hope you can include a option to activate in lock screen or similar.
also would like to have tasker/llama/locale option of enabling dissabling of the app.

thanks

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
@dragonnis

im using galaxy tab which have no proximity only light sensor.
the program shut my screen too often while im still using the tab.
i have calibrated the app but still it is not working.
i do hope you can include a option to activate in lock screen or similar.
also would like to have tasker/llama/locale option of enabling dissabling of the app.

thanks

Once you calibrate the light sensor to a specific value, it will turn off as soon as it reaches that value. So if you have calibrated it for your bag, the screen may also turn off if you are in a pitch black room, because it has the same light sensor value. I've made the only workaround to this that I can think of, which is that if you are in a dark room, and you press the power button to turn the screen on, it won't turn off again automatically until the light value changes or you press the power button again.

But yes, I will be adding the "Only activate during lockscreen" option in a future update. =)

Edit: Not sure about how to create tasker/llama/locale plugins but I'll check it out as soon as I have time.

Last edited:

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Pretty massive update. Fixes alot of common bugs. Thanks for sending in your reports! =)

•Added Widget
•"Screen Off Only"/"Screen On Only" now completely turns off proximity sensor when display turns off/on
•Reformatted all text to make it translation-ready (Turkish/Italian versions coming soon)

Reactions: samsung_karl

pmt223

May 1, 2013
Kingston, NY
Hi there, I cannot get this to work correctly on my HTC One. I have tried with both Sense and Aosp lockscreens. Is there something I need to do instead? I wave my hand in front and I can see the screen blink for a second and then that's it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Hi there, I cannot get this to work correctly on my HTC One. I have tried with both Sense and Aosp lockscreens. Is there something I need to do instead? I wave my hand in front and I can see the screen blink for a second and then that's it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello. Interesting, I've tried on the International HTC One but I've received a couple reports about the Sprint version having issues. Could you please tell me which model your phone is? I'm having a little trouble analyzing the issue without a device because turning the screen off is a native Android function that I just need to call upon so I'm not sure where the error lies but I'll try to get my hands on a device. Did the app ask you for Administrator Privileges? Also, if you turn on "Proximity Warning" from the Application Settings menu, do you feel a vibration on triggering the proximity sensor (Just to make sure the proximity sensor's being triggered)?

One last thing I'd like to ask is, does it work when you use your finger instead of a cover? Many proximity sensors don't do well with specific colors. I've had to stick a little piece of paper on my own cover where the proximity sensor lies because the dark brown leather makes the sensor go nuts.

EDIT: Just saw your signature and realized you have the AT&T version. Did anything I mentioned above work?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there xda. A few months ago I posted my first app, IntelliCover, on xda-developers. It got a great response here and was featured on the front page of xda-developers and went on to feature on Discovery Channel's App Snap. Of course, being the smart person that I am...Well, let's just say I lost it...Yes, lost the app...Don't ask how. Anyways, I saw this as a chance to rebuild the app with all your suggestions in mind, from the ground up. So here it is, IntelliCover 2.0!

※ DESCRIPTION

IntelliCover 2.0 is a utility which uses your device’s proximity sensor, light sensor and/or accelerometer to turn the screen on and off, allowing fast and efficient access to your phone or tablet.

It turns the screen off automatically when you put your device in your pockets, close its flip cover, store the device in a bag, or even just leave the device facing down on a table. As soon as the device is back in your hand the proximity/light sensor is triggered again, the screen turns back on and your device in instantly ready for use. This improves productivity immensely on large devices or devices that do not have physical hardware buttons.

IntelliCover 2.0 is the completely revamped and redesigned version of IntelliCover, rebuilt from scratch after listening to the feedback of thousands of users.

※ COMPATIBILITY

IntelliCover works on all Android devices that have a light or proximity sensor, or an accelerometer. It does NOT require your device to be rooted.

※ FEATURES

• Sensor Calibration: Screen On Delay, Screen Off Delay, Suspension Timers, Application Suspension, Light/Shake Sensitivity Calibration
    • Application Settings: Disable in Portrait/Landscape Mode, Go to Home Screen, Remove Lock Screen, Screen Off Only, Screen On Only, Start on Boot, Save Profile (Settings), Restore Profile, Restore Default Settings
    • Modes: Proximity Mode, Shake Mode, Light Mode, Proximity and Light Combo Mode
    • Notifications: Proximity Warning (Vibration), Status Bar Notification
    • Toggles(Screen On/Off): Airplane Mode, Auto Sync, Bluetooth, Ringer Mode, Wi-fi

※ SCREENSHOTS

Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-43-52.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-19.jpg Screenshot_2013-08-12-17-44-31.jpg

※ CHANGELOG

Version 1.0.5 (07/09/2013)
    •Fixed problems caused by previous update

Version 1.0.4 (07/09/2013)
    •Added Russian language
    •Added Pocket Protector Mode
    •Fixed crashes, wakelock problems and screen timeout issues
    •More battery optimization

Version 1.0.3 (24/08/2013)
    •Fixed the crashes caused by previous update.

•Added Widget

Version 1.0.0 (14/08/2013)
    - Application released.

※ DOWNLOAD

Link to the Play Store: IntelliCover 2.0 v1.0.5
    Hi Dev.

best on my Nexus 4...?

Thanks...!

I would recommend installing the new version since I will not be updating the old version anymore and the new one has more features. But the new version is still a little buggy since I had to rebuild the whole app, so if you want to wait a little bit, that makes sense too. I couldn't post an update on the old one because I lost the keys for the app and all its data as well. =( That's one reason I had to rebuild it. That's also why the old one hasn't been updated in months. The new one is a bigger filesize because it has a lot more features and a big UI upgrade. =)

Yes, I realize it is taking up quite a bit of RAM for some reason. I wanted to get the app out there but I haven't started optimizing it completely yet. It makes sense for you to use IntelliCover 1 for now, but I plan on rolling out alot of updates soon that will optimize it, so keep an eye out. ;)

Bug

Improvement request

Yes, I'm adding that option too. It's been requested by many users, so I'll add it to "Screen Off Only" for the next update. =)
    Pretty massive update. Fixes alot of common bugs. Thanks for sending in your reports! =)

•Added Widget