How To Update Pre-Installed Swype to Swype Beta

Search This thread

michaelviper

Feb 5, 2011
I never really found a proper guide on how to update the Samsung Salaxy S pre-installed Swype and after figuring out how to do it i thought i'd share it with whoever needed it.

1) To update the pre-installed Swype to Swype beta you have to have root access or else this isn't going to work

2) Download "Root App Remover" and "Root Explorer" from the android market

3) Run Root App Remover (it will take a minute for it to initially scan the phone for system and user apps)

4) Using Root App Remover go to system apps scroll down to Swype tap it and press recycle, to completely uninstall it (which you have to do) press menu then "SystemApp Recycler" and uninstall it.

5) Run Root Explorer and press the "Mount R/W" button at the top if it isn't already selected, after that to go "system" folder then the "lib" folder and delete the file "libswypecore.so" (if it isn't there then go back into system and then back again)

6) After that go into the "data" folder then the "data" folder and delete "com.android.android.inputmethod" file (if its not there then quit root explorer)

7) After that go to the Swype Beta Website and register, go through all the various steps untill you've finished downloading and installing the Swype Installer.

8) Run Swype Installer and go through all the steps, then download and install the Swype Beta, generate the license using the installer and your done the newest Swype beta is now installed one you Samsung Galaxy S

Sorry if this guide is too long i just tried to explain it in detail. I Hope this guide helped you install the newest Swype beta, if you have any questions feel free to ask i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

ENJOY SWYPING!!! :D

rewen

Apr 19, 2010
Barrie
Thanks for the guide. I used Titanium to remove the old version. After a reboot the new one installed just fine :)

Reactions: SeniorGato

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
What are the new features of beta?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

lembi2001

Nov 29, 2010
Ashton
Well i have just found the answer to a question i posted a while back:

What happened to BlindType?

The answer is here. Swype now incorporates many of the features that BlindType had including the movable keyboard!

troppxda

Aug 14, 2010
Budapest
Thanks, your method worked...

I never really found a proper guide on how to update the Samsung Salaxy S pre-installed Swype and after figuring out how to do it i thought i'd share it with whoever needed it.

1) To update the pre-installed Swype to Swype beta you have to have root access or else this isn't going to work

3) Run Root App Remover (it will take a minute for it to initially scan the phone for system and user apps)

4) Using Root App Remover go to system apps scroll down to Swype tap it and press recycle, to completely uninstall it (which you have to do) press menu then "SystemApp Recycler" and uninstall it.

5) Run Root Explorer and press the "Mount R/W" button at the top if it isn't already selected, after that to go "system" folder then the "lib" folder and delete the file "libswypecore.so" (if it isn't there then go back into system and then back again)

6) After that go into the "data" folder then the "data" folder and delete "com.android.android.inputmethod" file (if its not there then quit root explorer)

7) After that go to the Swype Beta Website and register, go through all the various steps untill you've finished downloading and installing the Swype Installer.

8) Run Swype Installer and go through all the steps, then download and install the Swype Beta, generate the license using the installer and your done the newest Swype beta is now installed one you Samsung Galaxy S

Sorry if this guide is too long i just tried to explain it in detail. I Hope this guide helped you install the newest Swype beta, if you have any questions feel free to ask i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

valexi

Sep 19, 2010
Kuopio
The easiest way:

1) Gain root
2) Install Super Manager (from Market)
3) Enable root mode on Super Manger (under Settings)
4) Delete Swype (APK-Manager -> search for swype -> long press and delete),
5) Reboot
6) Install Swype Beta :)

N2Exploring

Feb 13, 2012
Lewisville
I didn't see either of the two apps you mention, but I downloaded and used "Root Uninstaller" and "Root Browser" from the Market instead, and they worked fine...just FYI. Thanks!

N2Exploring

Feb 13, 2012
Lewisville

I would add a step for some folks -

6a) Boot into CWM recovery, clear cache, clear dalvik cache, reboot.

Without that step, my install of Swype beta would FC upon launch but after starting over and clearing the caches, I was able to install and use no problem. ;)

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
i followed the Titanium backup root, I uninstalled using TB did not restart and ran the Swype installer and everything worked thereafter.

I installed the tablet version and in portrait mode, the keyboard is tiny although it doesn't affect swyping, is there a way to make it slightly larger?

externus

Mar 30, 2012
Swype isnt Saved as standard input??? pls help

Hi, the installation worked fine, but i have to set up swype as standard input method after rebooting my device.
How can i fix that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the guide. I used Titanium to remove the old version. After a reboot the new one installed just fine :)