Should I get a TP

Search This thread

hiz99

Jan 2, 2011
Tulsa
So I've been wanting a tablet for a while and I missed the chance to get a TP when the fire sale happened. My dad just bought a Transformer Prime and that's pretty sweet but I don't want to shell out $600. So is this a good buy? Is it worth the $250-$300?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

skillz9669

Apr 23, 2008
Philadelphia
Well, ask yourself this. Do you not want ANY issues? If so then no it's not worth it. I enjoy mine very much, but I have pretty much made the issues with the TP part of my normal usage routine. Like when it dies ( uh oh, sometimes doesn't like to come back on for a while), or when I reboot I have to re setup my wifi network and sometimes it just decides it doesn't want to do the whole auto rotate for me. However the apps run smooth, sound is great ( when the screen is on lol ). Downloading games no problem ( just once again don't let the screen shut off while its downloading sd files ). Oh and no camera unless in webos. So here is my last piece to help u with.

New android tab: 399-700ish
New tp 32gb: about 300
pros: nice size display, bright, loud, very smooth, decent batt life, can connect to many peripherals: wii remote, ps3 controller, mouse, keyboard, etc...
cons: camera only on front, issues with rom i posted up top, no external memory

hope this helps some :)

Reactions: hiz99

rectify

Jan 2, 2012
bakersfield
I have had my touch pad for almost 2 months, with cm on it for almost as long. The ONLY problem I've had with it is the camera not working.

I've had none of the problems the above user has. Works great, and is only getting better. And $299 is a bit steep. My 32 gig with case and speed charger was $225 shipped

Reactions: mrtomaso

hiz99

Jan 2, 2011
Tulsa
So if I could buy one around $200 with accessories its a good deal?

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
So if I could buy one around $200 with accessories its a good deal?

Good luck getting a 32 with accessories for $200. I'm letting one of mine go for $280 plus shipping with touchstone and keyboard. But mine has carbon fiber wrap and two used cases. Still thinking about listing on eBay cause it should fetch $300 easy cause the wrap got put on right after open so its about as new looking as possible.

Classicnerd Butta Shooter

nightanole

Mar 4, 2012
Im a noob (first android rooted phone in november) and i love my $180 16gb TP. Im running 30-31 AOKP and the ONLY issues are front camera and having to turn on and off the wifi (quick settings double tap) when coming out of sleep or switching locations.

For the price the only other options are the kindle fire and nook. and those dont support HD video or even ui hardware acceleration. You would have to spend $300 for a used/reconditioned true ICS tablet with the same features and battery life.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The TouchPad is awesome in my opinion. No real issues running android except the camera and microphone, but that could come to us down the road. Everything else runs well. If you havent used webOS, you may even like that OS better. The ONLY downside to webOS is the lack of apps. But if you dont even use that many apps, you wont even notice. Running both operating systems at the same time is nice.

As far as pricing, a 16gb version, you might be able to get for $200 with one or two of the following: case, wall charger, screen protectors. Add a touchstone charger to it and it will be maybe $50 more. If you get a 32GB version, add another $30 or so. I got my 32 GB TouchPad for $230 off of ebay and it came with a case and wall charger. I'm planning on getting a touchstone charger eventually.

hiz99

Jan 2, 2011
Tulsa
The TouchPad is awesome in my opinion. No real issues running android except the camera and microphone, but that could come to us down the road. Everything else runs well. If you havent used webOS, you may even like that OS better. The ONLY downside to webOS is the lack of apps. But if you dont even use that many apps, you wont even notice. Running both operating systems at the same time is nice.

As far as pricing, a 16gb version, you might be able to get for $200 with one or two of the following: case, wall charger, screen protectors. Add a touchstone charger to it and it will be maybe $50 more. If you get a 32GB version, add another $30 or so. I got my 32 GB TouchPad for $230 off of ebay and it came with a case and wall charger. I'm planning on getting a touchstone charger eventually.

What's so special about a touchstone charger?

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
What's so special about a touchstone charger?

Have you even seen it and know what it does? Its a charger that sits on a table/desk/whatever, and you just sit your Touchpad on it and it charges. No plugging in cables to charge. It also acts as an adjustable stand. This is one of the best accessories Palm started with their webOS phones. I loved the Touchstone for the Palm Pre Plus. Can't wait to use one with my TouchPad.

ftmaniac948

Aug 28, 2011
Ha got my 32gb model for 160 on Craigslist with no problems :-D

I'm living on a yellow submarine

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
I was browsing ebay last week and it seems that the 32 gig is selling for the same price or cheaper than the 16 gig. I was kind of surprised tbh.

jaydon34

Apr 26, 2007
I just got a 32gb off Craigslist for 175 with a case. Its brand spanking new barley used. Soon as cm9 is fixed it will be amazing

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Infinite Jest

Mar 26, 2012
Rockville
I honestly don't think any model of TP is worth over $200 used. Considering the plethora of tablets that are coming out in coming months at increasingly reduced prices, the TP is moving the way of the dinosaur quickly.

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
I honestly don't think any model of TP is worth over $200 used. Considering the plethora of tablets that are coming out in coming months at increasingly reduced prices, the TP is moving the way of the dinosaur quickly.

Not even close to becoming a dinosaur. The touchpad runs as good if not better then those that have ics on them for a fraction of the price. $200 for a dual boot tablet if a fantastic deal.

Reactions: Izeltokatl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, ask yourself this. Do you not want ANY issues? If so then no it's not worth it. I enjoy mine very much, but I have pretty much made the issues with the TP part of my normal usage routine. Like when it dies ( uh oh, sometimes doesn't like to come back on for a while), or when I reboot I have to re setup my wifi network and sometimes it just decides it doesn't want to do the whole auto rotate for me. However the apps run smooth, sound is great ( when the screen is on lol ). Downloading games no problem ( just once again don't let the screen shut off while its downloading sd files ). Oh and no camera unless in webos. So here is my last piece to help u with.

New android tab: 399-700ish
    New tp 32gb: about 300
    pros: nice size display, bright, loud, very smooth, decent batt life, can connect to many peripherals: wii remote, ps3 controller, mouse, keyboard, etc...
    cons: camera only on front, issues with rom i posted up top, no external memory

hope this helps some :)
    I have had my touch pad for almost 2 months, with cm on it for almost as long. The ONLY problem I've had with it is the camera not working.

I've had none of the problems the above user has. Works great, and is only getting better. And $299 is a bit steep. My 32 gig with case and speed charger was $225 shipped

Not even close to becoming a dinosaur. The touchpad runs as good if not better then those that have ics on them for a fraction of the price. $200 for a dual boot tablet if a fantastic deal.