The LTE/4G Hype

Search This thread

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
Am I the only one who doesnt get insane battery drain with LTE? I keep it on ALL DAY and usually get 7+ hours of battery. Checking Facebook, uploading photos, browsing Reddit....and my battery (stock 1850) gets me through the day. Maybe you guys just need to learn to not pull your phone out every 5 min.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
I don't know about you guys but I love having LTE on my verizon GNEX

many times if I have 1 bar of signal and with LTE I am able to stream pandora/sirius xm/ winamp shoutcast radio browse sites do whatever I want.

Previously I was on AT&T with the 2GB plan and often it would lag so bad and what is even better now on Verizon I have family pland and I pay same price for better service more data only downside is that I dont have unlimited mobile to mobile but I never ran out of minutes anyway.

So for me streaming music is a big thing :) even though I have huge collections of house,trance and lots of other EDM music.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Except that...the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support 42Mbps from Tmo.

Sure. Its the point in general. 20Mbps is so good as is, and its not even maxed out with back haul yet. Lte really shines with low latency ability. That's where it really matters.

But for now until lte chip sets can match hsdpa power efficiency I'll take an hsdpa device just as well. I guess lte can be disabled to achieve the same result. It just seems like too many Verizon people get poor idle performance even with lte off. I'd think it would match the GSM version in those cases.

axion68

Dec 17, 2007
I have the Verizon extended battery and am on 4G all day. I usually have about 1 hour of screen time and 35% battery left when I go to bed.

While LTE speed isn't necessary, it sure is nice. HSPA+ is plenty fast too, but from my experience it isn't consistently fast. Could have been T-Mobiles HSPA+ network in its infancy at the time too.

As long as I can make it 1 day with some reserve power left I am good to go. On my tbolt I had to disable 4g to make it all day, but the nexus works great all day!

JoeSyr

Feb 7, 2012
Am I the only one who doesnt get insane battery drain with LTE? I keep it on ALL DAY and usually get 7+ hours of battery. Checking Facebook, uploading photos, browsing Reddit....and my battery (stock 1850) gets me through the day. Maybe you guys just need to learn to not pull your phone out every 5 min.

Very different scales for what a full day's use is, I think. If my phone only lasted 7 hours that would be terrible for my purposes. My normal usage is mostly for texting and email, with the occasional check to for something online. It's uncommon for me to go less than 24 hours on a full charge. I've had streaks of 48 hours+ on truly minimal usage.

If I'm going to sit in front of my phone checking reddit or playing a game I sort of make a mental note that I'll -need- to charge the phone that night if i want to use it the next day, but my normal usage lets me not be tied to my charger so tightly. Having 4g on simply removes this option, and it's not a flexibility I want to give up.

BrianDigital

It's a transition time when a phones utilize only lte for everything power condition well be high till then

I have always been the odd guy in the data speed fanboy fights. What TMobile did with overhauling their backbend and giving a better through put for every phone is leaps and bound better than having to turn in a Wimax/lte chip to see fast data rates.

Also I feel it's easy for consumers, alas not a true 4g but honestly what would most people do with broadband speeds in their hands for what their phone is going to do. Unless your networking for house off your phone, but then you might want a mifi

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
what is the average speeds you guys get on 4G? on my Vodafone UK i usually get around 6-8MBit/s all the time in East London, which is pretty awesome for 3G

randomnameftw

Feb 2, 2012
what is the average speeds you guys get on 4G? on my Vodafone UK i usually get around 6-8MBit/s all the time in East London, which is pretty awesome for 3G

It depends on location. I used to get 40-50 down on at&t's Lte network. <-- that will come down as time goes on.
6-8 down is pretty good for 3G.

Matthew9559

Jun 29, 2011
I agree with the OP. 4G is nice but for my uses (websites/app downloads) it is totally unnecessary. A half a second quicker page load is not worth the battery drain for having it on 24/7. I get a few hours more of battery life with 3G. Which on my Nexus is well worth it. Don't get me wrong, if I am downloading a podcast while not on wifi (rare) I flip on 4G. It just doesn't seem like the tech is quite there yet.

Reactions: BinkXDA

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
So tell me, why is it ITU has stated that LTE, as specified in 3GPP rel 8/9, does not meet the requirements for it to be considered 4G?
LTE-Advanced has the ability to be considered 4G, as published in 3GPP TR 36.912.
True 4G networks need to be able, for example, reach 1Gb/s downstream.

Sent from my i9250 using Forum Runner

You did see that what I linked came directly from the ITU?

They wrote it, not me. It is hard to deny what I said, when they put it in writing.

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
adrynalyne said:
You did see that what I linked came directly from the ITU?

They wrote it, not me. It is hard to deny what I said, when they put it in writing.

"ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced."

IMT-Advanced are requirements by ITU-R for 4g networks.

It then goes on saying that " IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."

"May also be applied" - it has become more convenient this way.

Sent from my i9250 using Forum Runner

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
You say potato.....

How you interpret it, matters not. They made it clear that you can refer to it as 4G.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I think think ITU definition makes no sense. To me 2g, 3g, and 4g means the 4th generation of hardware. If new hardware technology gets put up on all existing cell sites, like LTE, then its 4g. If they put up new hsdpa hardware, that's 3g hardware. Wimax is a new hardware generation, so its 4g. The speed has nothing to do with it.

Dxtra

May 27, 2010
I take LTE over battery. Video chat is smooth, streaming, web browsing, downloading sometimes faster then wifi, YouTube, Netflix this is a few advantages in having 25mbps/10mbps LTE speed. The bad battery life has a lot to do with the nexus not LTE. On my SGS 2 skyrocket battery life was perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I take LTE over battery. Video chat is smooth, streaming, web browsing, downloading sometimes faster then wifi, YouTube, Netflix this is a few advantages in having 25mbps/10mbps LTE speed. The bad battery life has a lot to do with the nexus not LTE. On my SGS 2 skyrocket battery life was perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Actually, it has everything to do with LTE and 1st gen LTE devices.

Two radios running at once eats battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People said the same thing during the transition from Edge to 3G. "Where'd my battery go? 3G uses too much battery. I'm always going to keep it on Edge." The chipsets and batteries will catch up, and in a year or so, turning off LTE will seem as silly as "leaving it on Edge."
    Leave it on 4G and be done with it! Mine is on 4G all day long and the battery gets low... I charge it!

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Also, it is not just HYPE. Everything is MUCH better with 4G than with 3G.
    Have you USED the verizon 4g? Its soooooo ****ing fast. It even rivals the speed of the internet I get at home with comcast. When my brother is hogging the internet, I just switch to tether and use it on my home computer and it's awesome. Yes, it does eat up battery, and I usually switch it off if I'm going somewhere for an extended period of time. But when I'm actively using my phone, why would I not want to download at 2 megabytes per second?

Your ranting argument is hilarious...

Why do we need dual core smartphones, all it does is eat up battery...
    I agree with the OP. 4G is nice but for my uses (websites/app downloads) it is totally unnecessary. A half a second quicker page load is not worth the battery drain for having it on 24/7. I get a few hours more of battery life with 3G. Which on my Nexus is well worth it. Don't get me wrong, if I am downloading a podcast while not on wifi (rare) I flip on 4G. It just doesn't seem like the tech is quite there yet.