[Q] Access to folders created by other user

Search This thread

danfm

Aug 20, 2014
I have the SM-T700 model with 4.4.2. android and created few user accounts on it so that few family members can use it with its own settings etc.
What I noticed is that if one user creates a folder on the device's internal storage, no other user can access it.
I've looked for options to change it but found none. Well, maybe that is exactly what Samsung wanted but that does not really fit me and my guys. That is quite restrictive and not even PCs go that far in regards to different accounts on the same device.
Is there a way around this or maybe an option to change it that I was unable to locate?
Thanks

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
That's the whole point of having separate user accounts. You can't have it work in a half hearted manner.

Reactions: danfm

danfm

Aug 20, 2014
That's the whole point of having separate user accounts. You can't have it work in a half hearted manner.

Thank you, but I think it can work and sorry, I do not see the point.
Here is the situation - let's say you have few GBs of family photos and videos on the Tab and two more users besides you. With the current setup, I would have to copy to two other accounts everything that I had already put on the device and suddenly something that was 2GB becomes 6GB and it is just great waste of resources.
It is like if Windows PC would not allow any other user to see what is on C drive except the stuff he/she put on it (and system files of course).
As we all know, for the stuff you do not want others to have direct access to you can put it My Documents but the rest of files on C drive is visible and accessible to all other users on that computer (by default).
Hopefully we see that concept soon on android.

danfm

Aug 20, 2014
If there's no restriction, try saving to an external sdcard or a memory stick connected via USB-OTG MICRO-USB to USB adapter.

That is correct, the external sdcard has no restrictions in that regard and I have been already using it to bypass this multiple users policy.
On a device with 16 G internal memory however I do not think that was necessary.
But, yes, there is kind of way around it until things hopefully change.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If there's no restriction, try saving to an external sdcard or a memory stick connected via USB-OTG MICRO-USB to USB adapter.