How can I extract contacts from Android files ?

Search This thread

moav

Jan 21, 2010
Haifa
If I saved all my Android files on my computer from a previous build, can I somehow get the contacts out of them files ? perhaps there's a file that contains all contacts ?

Last edited:
Reactions: teodragos

moav

Jan 21, 2010
Haifa
That's the weird part, for some reason the number I'm looking for wasn't logged by Gmail, and that's why with the current build I didn't have his number imported as the rest.

Last edited:

itsme_4ucz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The contacts are stored in a SQLite3 database file so the file format is ".db"

The development tool Android Debug Bridge (ADB) can be used to extract the file from an EMULATOR

ADB can also extract the file from a phone but it must be rooted first AND the ADB drivers must be installed on your machibe as well

(Rooting is NOT for beginners though)

The contacts.db file is stored in the protected system memory, the file path is:

data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db

moav

Jan 21, 2010
Haifa

The development tool Android Debug Bridge (ADB) can be used to extract the file from an EMULATOR

ADB can also extract the file from a phone but it must be rooted first AND the ADB drivers must be installed on your machibe as well

The contacts.db file is stored in the protected system memory, the file path is:

If I understood correctly this file should be in the SD card, but I cannot find one, nor the directory /com.android.providers.contacts/ .

hazard99

Jun 13, 2009
Your phone doesnt think its on the sdcard. It thinks its on the phone itself.

For my adb uses I use a program called android commander. It will allow you to navigate to that file.

moav

Jan 21, 2010
Haifa
My issue is not with the contacts on my working phone system, but on the files I copied before I've change to a new build. I thought there may be a chance it's on one of those files, but it sound much complicated then that.

4tune

Aug 31, 2007
Alkmaar
If you don't want to try itsme_4ucz's solution, why not copy the files back to your phone and sync again with Gmail?

moav

Jan 21, 2010
Haifa
Because for some reason the build didn't load, that was the reason why I switched builds in the first place.
I don't want to root my phone for that, I'm pretty noob

daemonfly

Apr 8, 2010
I could be wrong, but...

Wouldn't that file be in the data.img file system image? If so, you can mount that file in Linux, or most likely Windows, then browse to the location mentioned above.

That'll at least get you there, but you still have to get the data out. Perhaps copy that one to the phone's current file system. If not, I'm sure someone will come up with something if the above posts don't work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If I saved all my Android files on my computer from a previous build, can I somehow get the contacts out of them files ? perhaps there's a file that contains all contacts ?