1.2m Transformers sold, ICS

Search This thread

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111031PD219.html

ICS coming to Transformer and Slider "early december". Asus have sold 1.2m Transformers since it launched in April, and are ontrack for 1.8m for the 3/4 of a year of 2011...

Not too shabby at all. Whilst all the media have been talking about Xoom and Tab, it seems consumers were actually buying Transformers....

helltel

Oct 31, 2010
Madeira island
well. Im one of those people. Jurt bought one and im very happy with. And was looking into xoom and tab.........but transformer caught my eye

rob_pasq

Oct 3, 2011
Me too

I bought 2 of them. First one was a B80 and I really wanted to root it so I bought another one that is rootable. This one has the dock, which I bought with the first one. USB ports and another MicroSD slot. Gotta love all that extra space and I love extra options. Then, updated right away so the support is there. So I switch from my IPad 2 to my Transformer but only when the transformer is recharging. With the dock, I'm not on the I Pad very much at all any more. Can't wait for the Prime!!

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
I bought 2 of them. First one was a B80 and I really wanted to root it so I bought another one that is rootable. This one has the dock, which I bought with the first one. USB ports and another MicroSD slot. Gotta love all that extra space and I love extra options. Then, updated right away so the support is there. So I switch from my IPad 2 to my Transformer but only when the transformer is recharging. With the dock, I'm not on the I Pad very much at all any more. Can't wait for the Prime!!

Interesting. The numbers I read were 3.2 million total Honeycomb tablets. So Asus has over a 1/3 of the market? That makes the 3.2 number seem low. What about Zoom and Samsung? I wondering if the other 600k were going to be Prime's or if they plan on fire sale-ing the TF1 when the prime comes out. I've been shopping for sub $300 tablets for my wife. Current candidates are Fire, 80 G9, Ideatab A1. I would love to throw a Transformer into the mix (or give her mine and get a Prime :) ).

asdfuogh

Jun 22, 2011
Why would anyone else wanna get the other tablets? Sounds like their companies don't give a crap about their customers.. hmm.

Oct 29, 2011
Apple spends about a quarter of a billion each year on advertisement and public relations. If a company like asus wants to catch up, they really ought to spend more on ads and PR.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Apple spends about a quarter of a billion each year on advertisement and public relations. If a company like asus wants to catch up, they really ought to spend more on ads and PR.

I don't think ASUS has any desire to "catch up with" Apple, nor any delusions that they could. In fact, that's what's stupid about the whole thing: no company NEEDS to sell as many tablets (or any other product, really) as the iPad 2--they only need to sell however many is necessary to get a return on their investment.

ASUS is clearly happy with the number of Transformers sold, or else they wouldn't be making such a huge push with the Transformer Prime. As long as they sell enough to keep making them, I'm happy.

Schaduwridder

Aug 18, 2011

+1 on that.
Here in Holland I see Samsung doing a lot of ads.
Asus could sell more if the general public would be more aware of the Transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

frdurso

Sep 20, 2010
Belo Horizonte
Bought one Slider for me, here in Brazil, asus doesn't make advertisement at all and it was really hard to find the tablet... found more often only iPads, Galaxy tabs 10.1 and 7 and xoom. Some time ago I found Transformer but didn't find the Keyboard, only in sites like "mercado livre" (Works like ebay)...

chmilz

Aug 17, 2011
It's annoying that they don't advertise.

I use mine often for work and when traveling, and tech illiterates ask "hey, is that an iPad?". I explain mine is ASUS and runs Android, and they always reply "never heard of it", and look at me like I'm crazy for buying it. Then they tell me they're probably going to buy an iPad 2 for $700, despite not knowing what it does, what the differences are between tablets, and completely oblivious to $400-$500 tablets that are newer, more powerful, and expandable.

Not to mention, once ICS hits and merges Android phone and tablet software, Android devices will outsell Apple by the millions and devs will focus a lot more energy on Android tablet apps.

shawnc9

Oct 19, 2011
I just bought one too

The new prime's design isn't really to my liking. The price for a transformer now doesn't hurt too, it has dropped to a reasonable level. You prolly need to give prime some time to sort out the initial issues.

aburgthing

Aug 5, 2010
The new prime's design isn't really to my liking. The price for a transformer now doesn't hurt too, it has dropped to a reasonable level. You prolly need to give prime some time to sort out the initial issues.

A word to the wise, there are pros and cons with the "waiting" thing. Generally the new tech is jumped on right away by the geniuses that frequent here like hungry wolves. Once they crack and root a device, they move on to development. When the company patches the exploit, the intensity of finding a root solution precipitously dips and continues to do so with each iteration of hardware and software. (The companies fix the original exploit making it exponentially harder if not impossible to beat). If you are in the front door when the device hits, you will undoubtedly be able to root it, and it will stay that way for the life of the product. Just something to think about.

raze1000

There are those of us who jump right in and get the latest tech and enjoy it and enjoy our lives immensely, and there are those of us who wait and wait and always do without on the chance that something better or cheaper will come out.

Those are the types that usually have nothing new and nothing to enjoy.

In my book your a long time dead so i am going to get whatever i can as soon as i can and have the pleasure of using it.

A friend of mine is earning over 40k a year yet always goes for a cheap option.
Now he's moaning that his tablet is not good for movies etc etc etc.
Should have stopped being such a tight arse and gone for the asus.

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Apple spends about a quarter of a billion each year on advertisement and public relations.

That's only the tip of the iceberg, they can only talk about their legal/moral advertising.

Both Microsoft and Apple spend many more times that on less ethical forms of marketing, like:

• Employing "gamers" to stand outside stores in midnight launches to "buy" consoles and games..
  • Employing armies of viral marketeers to monitor forums and blogs and praise/defend their employers products.
  • Holding blogs and news sites to ransom for good press with their advertising budgets
  • Inviting blogs and news sites to lavish launch parties, all expenses paid trips to Redmond/Cupertino, Free Xboxes at E3, free Acer Ferrari Laptop with Vista..

Last edited:

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
There are those of us who jump right in and get the latest tech and enjoy it and enjoy our lives immensely, and there are those of us who wait and wait and always do without on the chance that something better or cheaper will come out.

Those are the types that usually have nothing new and nothing to enjoy.

In my book your a long time dead so i am going to get whatever i can as soon as i can and have the pleasure of using it.

A friend of mine is earning over 40k a year yet always goes for a cheap option.
Now he's moaning that his tablet is not good for movies etc etc etc.
Should have stopped being such a tight arse and gone for the asus.

Agreed, 100%. If I'm hit by a bus tomorrow, I don't want to think about all the things I never tried because I was waiting for something cheaper to come along.

chatch15117

Jun 16, 2011
It's annoying that they don't advertise.

I use mine often for work and when traveling, and tech illiterates ask "hey, is that an iPad?". I explain mine is ASUS and runs Android, and they always reply "never heard of it", and look at me like I'm crazy for buying it. Then they tell me they're probably going to buy an iPad 2 for $700, despite not knowing what it does, what the differences are between tablets, and completely oblivious to $400-$500 tablets that are newer, more powerful, and expandable.

Not to mention, once ICS hits and merges Android phone and tablet software, Android devices will outsell Apple by the millions and devs will focus a lot more energy on Android tablet apps.

haha, I just smile and say "no, you wouldn't have heard of it" and happily continue using it(and fire up wifikill app and block every apple device on the network for lulz)

Apple sheep... too many to deal with.

Nov 5, 2011
Love my Transformer; the dock makes it a sweet netbook, when I'm writing articles, too; If only Polaris had more word processor tools like spell check and word count, I would say it's perfect for my needs. As it stands though, I have VERY few complaints.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
haha, I just smile and say "no, you wouldn't have heard of it" and happily continue using it(and fire up wifikill app and block every apple device on the network for lulz)

Apple sheep... too many to deal with.

Lol i must get that app!!!!

Usually when im asked i say when was the last time you saw a ipad2 with a keyboard dock and the same amount of ram as your netbook at home with 16hrs battery life????? (bombardment of questions usually follows)

Think ive converted a good 30 people since owning my tf

Sent from my tf101 using xda premium 1.54Ghz