[APP] Edit Browser Saved Username and Passwords (root only!)

Search This thread

Abomb

Jan 17, 2007
Hamburg
Hi,

I can hardly believe that there is not already an app like this that allows you to edit the saved usernames and passwords for the stock (and other) browsers.
The only thing you can do from the browser is delete all saved usernames/passwords.
With this app you can view and edit all saved credentials for each website.
Of course this requires root.

This is still very much in beta, I have only tested this on my Galaxy Nexus with CM9 (Android 4.0.3). The UI is also a work in progress, so it's still very ugly looking.
Before using this app consider making a backup of the browser data.

External Storage permission is for export of data as csv.

Please post suggestions / bugs / etc!

Regards

Abomb

Version History:
0.1:
  • Initial Release
0.2:
  • Now supports ICS Browser+ and Quick ICS Browser
0.3:
  • Bugfix for Delete/Save actions on non stock browsers
  • CSV Export/Import
0.4:
  • Now supports Skyfire, Dolphin HD and Dolphin Mini
  • Now supports Maxthon
  • Supports Opera Mini readonly, haven't had time yet for save functionality
  • New icon (thanks XlAfbk!)
0.4.3:
  • Added error reporting via email
0.4.4:
  • Fixed crash on start
0.4.5:
  • Fixed more crashes on start
  • Now supports Opera Mini read/write and export/import
  • Master Password can now be set in settings
0.5.1:
  • Minor changes to master password mechanism
0.5.2:
  • Chrome is now supported (except csv import, Chrome needs more data than other browsers provide)

Last edited:

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
niiice! thanks!
next feature request already: import/export from/to .csv file

gollyzila

Aug 27, 2011
This is really neat but I'm surprised our passwords aren't encrypted and blocked.

Abomb

Jan 17, 2007
Hamburg
The stock browser actually saves the saved passwords in plaintext. Of course, if you're not rooted you (and other apps) have no way of getting access to those files containing the passwords, so as a normal user you're save.

Abomb

Jan 17, 2007
Hamburg
could you please implement the root functionality in a way that the app doesn't ask for root 3 times and is not remembered by superuser?

here's a nice icon you could use, it's free to use: http://openclipart.org/detail/3330/key-by-barretr

The app has to ask for root for every browser where it has to get the usernames/passwords from - but superuser should remember root access, at least it does for me. I will investigate what could be the cause of that problem.

And thank you very much for the icon link, the app will have a nice icon in the next release! =)

ErrorMaker

Nov 21, 2010
act eearlke

Nice :) Can you add support for those Opera Mobile, Opera Mini Browsers and Maxthon? Thanks in advance ;)

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
The app has to ask for root for every browser where it has to get the usernames/passwords from
other root apps only have to ask once. I guess it's related to how you implemented these root-requiring commands

Opera browsers will require a completly different password retrieval code as those don't use sqlite but Operas own format (for which the source for reading exists).

Abomb

Jan 17, 2007
Hamburg
Opera browsers will require a completly different password retrieval code as those don't use sqlite but Operas own format (for which the source for reading exists).

Yeah Maxthon will be no problem, but Opera is harder. Do you by any chance have a link or something where I can find more info about where Opera saves passwords etc?

ErrorMaker

Nov 21, 2010
I've searched a little bit about Opera and it's password security. And I found out, that the passwords are stored in the 'wand.dat' file (for PC version and both Android versions). I think the PC and Android versions are using the same encryption/decryption routine.
In android the file is located under: "/data/data/com.opera.browser/opera/secure/wand.dat"

So here are some usefull links (I hope they're usefull for you):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=534027
http://securityxploded.com/operapasswordsecrets.php
http://www.l33thackers.com/Thread-C-Opera-wand-dat-decrypter
http://systemrecovery.altervista.org/Opera.html

Last edited:

Abomb

Jan 17, 2007
Hamburg
thanks for the help, I will have a look at it later today

Edit: I think I can read and write the usernames and passwords on opera mini. opera mobile I'm not sure about, I think I'll be able to read the data at least, but not sure about writing.

Edit2: Maxthon is now supported, Opera Mini only readonly for now. Import/export and save for Opera Mini will follow soon.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I can hardly believe that there is not already an app like this that allows you to edit the saved usernames and passwords for the stock (and other) browsers.
    The only thing you can do from the browser is delete all saved usernames/passwords.
    With this app you can view and edit all saved credentials for each website.
    Of course this requires root.

This is still very much in beta, I have only tested this on my Galaxy Nexus with CM9 (Android 4.0.3). The UI is also a work in progress, so it's still very ugly looking.
    Before using this app consider making a backup of the browser data.

External Storage permission is for export of data as csv.

Please post suggestions / bugs / etc!

Regards

Abomb

Version History:
    0.1:
    • Initial Release
    0.2:
    • Now supports ICS Browser+ and Quick ICS Browser
    0.3:
    • Bugfix for Delete/Save actions on non stock browsers
    • CSV Export/Import
    0.4:
    • Now supports Skyfire, Dolphin HD and Dolphin Mini
    • Now supports Maxthon
    • Supports Opera Mini readonly, haven't had time yet for save functionality
    • New icon (thanks XlAfbk!)
    0.4.3:
    • Added error reporting via email
    0.4.4:
    • Fixed crash on start
    0.4.5:
    • Fixed more crashes on start
    • Now supports Opera Mini read/write and export/import
    • Master Password can now be set in settings
    0.5.1:
    • Minor changes to master password mechanism
    0.5.2:
    • Chrome is now supported (except csv import, Chrome needs more data than other browsers provide)
    New version 0.2 uploaded, those two browsers are now supported (free + donate versions).
    niiice! thanks!
    next feature request already: import/export from/to .csv file

0.3 up with csv import/export :)
    I added error reporting on crash via email, it would be great if you guys where it crashes could get the new version and send me a report, thanks!
    I will look into Chrome.

Edit: That was fast, thanks for the reports! New version up that should no longer crash on start.

Edit 2: chrome needs a bit more saved info than Stock and other browsers, so import/export will not be possible.saved
    Thanks again for the crashlogs, new version is up :)