Battery Stats Thread - XL edition!

Search This thread

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
There is another question of performance. If the international has 2 hrs less screen time but able to perform tasks twice faster as a result of having 2 extra cores then its not as straight forward as it first seems. Antutu already showed that the one x is up over 60% faster than the xl. This could translate into faster loading of applications, webpages and applications that takes significantly less time to process. In the end you may not need as much screen time on the one x compared to the xl.

Faster in what?

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
Haha. No it wont. But i am talking more about apps that involves a significant amount of user waiting on the cpu processes such as stitching a panorama or rendering a large a large web page with flash.

I read both articles. Waiting for more real world results.

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
There is another question of performance. If the international has 2 hrs less screen time but able to perform tasks twice faster as a result of having 2 extra cores then its not as straight forward as it first seems. Antutu already showed that the one x is up over 60% faster than the xl. This could translate into faster loading of applications, webpages and applications that takes significantly less time to process. In the end you may not need as much screen time on the one x compared to the xl.

I see what you tried to do there, but it isn't that easy. I'll spending the same amount texting someone no matter what. And being able to load my Facebook 2 seconds sooner does not mean I'll be on there any less. So yes, the extra screen on time is important

mesasone

Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Iowa

Yes. Did you actually read the linked post or just rush to bang out a response? The One X can sustain the display for over 10 hours on a single charge, in specific conditions. Those specific conditions do not qualify as normal use, but they do indicate that it's not simply the 4.7" display that is causing the significant batter drain.

It is pretty straight forward. You're not going to spend an additional two hours loading apps and webpages on the One XL. Both are blazing fast, and the difference would add up to less than a minute at most over the course of an entire day. At most. The difference in time spent waiting over even a first gen Galaxy device would be minute.

But the real issue here is the S4 has a significantly higher IPC than the Tegra 3 and is much faster in single threaded applications. The Antutu benchmark shows the performance of the Tegra 3 in highly parallel processing loads, a very uncommon use scenario, and not at all similar to loading a webpage or app. I can think of very few tasks outside a highly complex game (which would have been designed to run on the lower end hardware that is much more common) that would actually take advantage of 4 cores on a phone.

At the end of the day, screen on time is a very useful metric for comparing battery life. It's hard to say if the One XL will have significantly better battery sign as few people have posted results so far, but some of the early indications are very promising.

Reactions: nielp96

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Yes. Did you actually read the linked post or just rush to bang out a response? The One X can sustain the display for over 10 hours on a single charge, in specific conditions. Those specific conditions do not qualify as normal use, but they do indicate that it's not simply the 4.7" display that is causing the significant batter drain.

A Cadillac Escalade can get 30MPG going downhill, with the A/C off, in low humidity, and with a tail wind. Would you agree that the Escalade gets 30MPG? I didn't buy the phone as a lab experiment and when evaluating battery life the most valid comparisons are how it does against similar phones and how well it holds up doing what each of us typically do. If the international version gets 10 hours under "specific conditions" than there's a good chance bedolf's will get 14. It's early, but it certainly appears under “typical” conditions Teg3 uses a lot more battery than S4.

bebolf

Apr 5, 2011
This is a follow up battery stats from my previous post here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25186605&postcount=5

During the last battery cycle my One X spent about 1/3 time on texting, emails, and other things... and the 2/3 was all youtube video playbacks on wifi ONLY.

Screenshots included with this post show the battery stats of my 3rd battery cycle.

The phone was on LTE the entire time (1-3 bars), auto-brightness on, and just to put things into perspective I collected the following stats as well:
  1. data uage: 337 MB (LTE)
  2. calls: 6 s (lol just for the reference)
  3. SMS sent/received: 125

Edit:
Forgot to mention the things I did during that cycle: SMS, emails, a few youtube videos, web browsing, two rounds of draw something, a couple photos, no camcording, and some other miscellaneous apps.

Edit 2:
Just realized that the usage stats might be more since they only show the usages during April 23. I started the cycle in April 22 evening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-55-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-55-57.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 866
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-02.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 823
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-08.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 784
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-35.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-56-48.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 623
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-57-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-12-57-01.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

AliLaPointe

Oct 3, 2007
Thank you for the battery stats beobolf. Im definitely jumping ship as soon as my contract with Sprint is up (June).

mesasone

Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Iowa
A Cadillac Escalade can get 30MPG going downhill, with the A/C off, in low humidity, and with a tail wind. Would you agree that the Escalade gets 30MPG? I didn't buy the phone as a lab experiment and when evaluating battery life the most valid comparisons are how it does against similar phones and how well it holds up doing what each of us typically do. If the international version gets 10 hours under "specific conditions" than there's a good chance bedolf's will get 14. It's early, but it certainly appears under “typical” conditions Teg3 uses a lot more battery than S4.

I think the miss the point. The point of that test, and bringing it up here, is provide a point of reference for how much power that actual display is using. The conditions in that test, in case you missed them, are that the phone was fully charged and then unplugged, the brightness set to "auto", the screen time out set to "never", and the radios were left on. The phone was then simply left to idle until the power died out.

What we can gather from this test, is that it likely not the large 4.7" display that is chugging the juice but likely the hardware feeding it (re: Tegra 3, possibly the GPU portion?). Thus it is entirely possible that the One XL with the S4 would attain longer battery life. How much longer is unknown at this point, though we will get a better idea as more people get this device in their hands and post their results.

I don't think we can expect the One XL to see 14 hours in of screen on time in this test unless we've been given with a larger battery, which to my knowledge we both the One X and the One XL use the same 1850 mAh battery.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I think the miss the point. The point of that test, and bringing it up here, is provide a point of reference for how much power that actual display is using. The conditions in that test, in case you missed them, are that the phone was fully charged and then unplugged, the brightness set to "auto", the screen time out set to "never", and the radios were left on. The phone was then simply left to idle until the power died out.

What we can gather from this test, is that it likely not the large 4.7" display that is chugging the juice but likely the hardware feeding it (re: Tegra 3, possibly the GPU portion?). Thus it is entirely possible that the One XL with the S4 would attain longer battery life. How much longer is unknown at this point, though we will get a better idea as more people get this device in their hands and post their results.

I don't think we can expect the One XL to see 14 hours in of screen on time in this test unless we've been given with a larger battery, which to my knowledge we both the One X and the One XL use the same 1850 mAh battery.

Thanks, I see your point. But it brings up other questions. Was it left alone in a dark room with an all white background displaying? Or was it with an all black background in broad daylight? The latter would result in at least twice the display drain. In the real world the display is off unless you're doing something on the phone so the processor will always be active (in some form) when the display is. To me, that kind of invalidates the test. It’s kind of like the international version being crowned “best stand-by life.” Idle on any phone isn’t heavy so a 50% improvement for something that uses 5% of your battery is kind of a hollow victory. With the X and XL having the exact same displays and batteries the XL’s superior performance is either the efficiency of the S4 when it’s working or better driver implementation by HTC/Qualcomm vs. HTC/Nvidia. I’m hoping the latter helps the international version via future updates. The international version is still running a GB (vs. ICS) kernel.

My benchmarks are how well the international version seems to do in aggregate compared to the XL (bedolf is a sample of one), how the SGS3 does when it comes out, and how the One X fares doing the same things with the same apps I used every day on my former i9100 (expecting a reasonable deficit).

DownNeverOut

Sep 3, 2007
New Orleans
Excellent reading and Debate, looking forward to more info as others receive their HOX...... Can't sleep waiting on my HOX delivery, come on 5/4/2012 :):(:):(:):):)

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010

During the last battery cycle my One X spent about 1/3 time on texting, emails, and other things... and the 2/3 was all youtube video playbacks on wifi ONLY.

Screenshots included with this post show the battery stats of my 3rd battery cycle.

The phone was on LTE the entire time (1-3 bars), auto-brightness on, and just to put things into perspective I collected the following stats as well:

Edit:
Forgot to mention the things I did during that cycle: SMS, emails, a few youtube videos, web browsing, two rounds of draw something, a couple photos, no camcording, and some other miscellaneous apps.

Edit 2:
Just realized that the usage stats might be more since they only show the usages during April 23. I started the cycle in April 22 evening.

Thats amazing. Pretty much everyone expected the battery life of the one xl to suck badly on LTE but turns out that it outlasts the international one x on wifi! And that was extremely heavy usage. I expect hspa only and manual brightness at 30% to last at least 5hrs.

toastyy

Dec 10, 2010
Burnaby
So I got mine yesterday, used it nearly nonstop from 67% and I got ~4hrs screen time. Here are my results from today after my first charge from ~0%. I used it heavily when it starts to slope, nearly non stop surfing the net on wifi and playing some games, N64 emulator for maybe 40 mins... But off the first cycle I'm very impressed. Seem pretty good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-23-22-02-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-22-02-59.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 534
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-22-03-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-22-03-03.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 499

bebolf

Apr 5, 2011
So I got mine yesterday, used it nearly nonstop from 67% and I got ~4hrs screen time. Here are my results from today after my first charge from ~0%. I used it heavily when it starts to slope, nearly non stop surfing the net on wifi and playing some games, N64 emulator for maybe 40 mins... But off the first cycle I'm very impressed. Seem pretty good?

Looks like I am not the only one getting amazing battery :D

biggmixx

Dec 6, 2009

Edit:

Edit 2:

Oh this is just beautiful

theli0ntamer

Nov 5, 2008
Here are my results after 2 full cycles...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335251364294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335251364294.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 520
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335251392743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335251392743.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 510

theli0ntamer

Nov 5, 2008
Sorry for the belated response... Only posting a pic of the front because the back of the device has a sticker with some info on it that I cannot show... I'm not allowed to remove the sticker btw...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335251759214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335251759214.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:

cmaxwe

Jun 2, 2010
Wow... I only got like 8 hours on my first charge. Was really worried...hopefully it will get better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rogers HTC One X.
    This is my stats after 2nd full charge on the brand new device.

Sorry forgot to take the screen of graph before I started the third charge, but it still shows the usage during 2nd charge..

Edit:
    The longer chunks of screen on time were YouTube video playbacks.

Edit:

Edit 2:
    D
    Deleted member 3452239
    And you guys praise sense

Sent from my Nexus 4
    I don't know how you guys manage to pull off only about 3 hours of screen time over the course of a day. My phone is my life, In an average day I generally have 5+ hours of screen time.
    Because we have jobs? I mean... You might too but this phone sits in my pocket when I'm working most of the day.

But 5 hours screen time is great.

So I'll be able to watch a movie twice as fast on the international version? ;)

Read these two articles and tell me how you feel afterward...

Teg3

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/09/tegra-3-missed-performance-goals-by-wide-margins/

S4/Krait

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/...ormance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks