Will 4.4.3 allow us to unlock the bootloader?

Search This thread

CypressLB

Jun 10, 2014
I'm just curious if 4.4.3 coming out means those of us with locked bootloaders will have a second chance at rooting, xt1049, or if buying a code is the only way.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I'm just curious if 4.4.3 coming out means those of us with locked bootloaders will have a second chance at rooting, xt1049, or if buying a code is the only way.

Obtaining a code is the only way to unlock the bootloader, and 4.4.3 patches the ONLY known root exploit for 4.4.2 (which is only a partial root anyways).

If (and its a BIG if) a new exploit is found, you may have a 'second chance", but even the most respected developers say it is unlikely.

If possible, get a code before the ride ends. Once unlocked, your device will be root-able even on future versions of android since no "exploit" is being used.

Reactions: CypressLB

CypressLB

Jun 10, 2014
Obtaining a code is the only way to unlock the bootloader, and 4.4.3 patches the ONLY known root exploit for 4.4.2 (which is only a partial root anyways).

If (and its a BIG if) a new exploit is found, you may have a 'second chance", but even the most respected developers say it is unlikely.

If possible, get a code before the ride ends. Once unlocked, your device will be root-able even on future versions of android since no "exploit" is being used.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably look around for a pay to unlock type deal.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the info, I'll probably look around for a pay to unlock type deal.

Don't confuse this with the "SIM-Unlock Codes" being sold several places.

There is only one guy that is offering Bootloader-Unlock codes. Find the thread titled "China Middleman Back".

He is currently on 'break', but will start selling codes again soon. All the information is located in that thread.

Good Luck

trentonmc24

Jul 16, 2013
With Google being open source, why do they continuously make root harder and harder to obtain? Is this due to carrier or manufacturer pressure?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
With Google being open source, why do they continuously make root harder and harder to obtain? Is this due to carrier or manufacturer pressure?

Its pretty much entirely due to manufacturer/carrier pressure, and security.

If one has an unlocked bootloader, root is not an issue. Simply flash custom recovery and root. This is the way we would like things to be....simple.

In the case of the Moto X, Sprint and T-Mobile are the only domestic carriers that allow Moto to release BL unlock codes. AT&T and Verizon forbid it.

And come the root 'exploit'. The only reason we have root exploits is because our genius developers have managed to find a vulnerability in the code to allow us to elevate to superuser status. They seem to make people quite happy because even those whose carriers don't allow unlocking are able to achieve root, but this comes at a cost - namely security.

If a dev makes a root exploit that allows us to install superuser, then a mischievous dev can also use this same vulnerability to install malware or do all kinds of nasty things to your device. Google wants to offer a secure platform, and we should [mostly] want it to be secure.

Even the most recent 4.4.2 root exploit is rumored to have been used 'in the wild' for mischievous purposes.

So while the exploits used for root are being eliminated, so are legitimate security threats.

What it boils down to is that if root is important to you, you should buy a Developer Edition, or research to see if your carrier model is unlockable.

I.E. If you are a AT&T user, you would be better served to buy the T-Mobile Moto X, which IS unlockable (or the GSM Dev Edition)
If on Verizon, your only choice would be the Dev Edition

Now you definitely spend a little more cash going this way, but if you do it right you aren't out much. Consider this: Next time you are eligible for an upgrade, choose the device solely on the resale value. Sell it! Switch back to your old device for a short time if necessary. Once sold, use the cash to finance the Developer Edition...then you won't have to worry about root, or if another exploit will ever come along again...

trentonmc24

Jul 16, 2013
I have a dev ed for myself but my wife wanted the motomaker, so she's stuck rooted on 4.4. Good advice though. Thanks for the info. Makes sense for security purposes.

frenchie007

Jan 27, 2011
I have a dev ed for myself but my wife wanted the motomaker, so she's stuck rooted on 4.4. Good advice though. Thanks for the info. Makes sense for security purposes.

Since you're still on 4.4 rooted you can obtain 4.4.2 root on locked bootloaders by using the safestrap method if that interests you. It's what I use.

here for att: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-165-44-1-ghostatt-kernel-dump-t2730956
here for vzw: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/116025-romsafestrap-unlockedxt1060-stock-rooted-vzw-164552-kitkat-442/

Reactions: trentonmc24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Its pretty much entirely due to manufacturer/carrier pressure, and security.

If one has an unlocked bootloader, root is not an issue. Simply flash custom recovery and root. This is the way we would like things to be....simple.

In the case of the Moto X, Sprint and T-Mobile are the only domestic carriers that allow Moto to release BL unlock codes. AT&T and Verizon forbid it.

And come the root 'exploit'. The only reason we have root exploits is because our genius developers have managed to find a vulnerability in the code to allow us to elevate to superuser status. They seem to make people quite happy because even those whose carriers don't allow unlocking are able to achieve root, but this comes at a cost - namely security.

If a dev makes a root exploit that allows us to install superuser, then a mischievous dev can also use this same vulnerability to install malware or do all kinds of nasty things to your device. Google wants to offer a secure platform, and we should [mostly] want it to be secure.

Even the most recent 4.4.2 root exploit is rumored to have been used 'in the wild' for mischievous purposes.

So while the exploits used for root are being eliminated, so are legitimate security threats.

What it boils down to is that if root is important to you, you should buy a Developer Edition, or research to see if your carrier model is unlockable.

I.E. If you are a AT&T user, you would be better served to buy the T-Mobile Moto X, which IS unlockable (or the GSM Dev Edition)
    If on Verizon, your only choice would be the Dev Edition

Now you definitely spend a little more cash going this way, but if you do it right you aren't out much. Consider this: Next time you are eligible for an upgrade, choose the device solely on the resale value. Sell it! Switch back to your old device for a short time if necessary. Once sold, use the cash to finance the Developer Edition...then you won't have to worry about root, or if another exploit will ever come along again...

Since you're still on 4.4 rooted you can obtain 4.4.2 root on locked bootloaders by using the safestrap method if that interests you. It's what I use.

here for att: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-165-44-1-ghostatt-kernel-dump-t2730956
    here for vzw: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/116025-romsafestrap-unlockedxt1060-stock-rooted-vzw-164552-kitkat-442/