[APP]Another Flashlight App :D

Search This thread

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Just for fun I wrote a flashlight app. I know, there are already a few others but this was a first dive in to a windows phone 7 app and I thought I would share:

Splash.jpg

FlashApp.jpg

The only glitch I have seen is toggling QUICKLY between on and off doesnt work and the light stays on. Exitting usually fixes it, however if it doesnt then relaunch and the re-initialize of the camera will turn it off.

The XAP is attached.

Attachments

• Flashlight.xap
    100.9 KB · Views: 873

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
I assume this uses the LED of the camera instead of the screen (as most other apps do)? Too bad I am on an HTC 7 Mozart with a xenon flash :(

rmelugin

Apr 18, 2006
Perfect! Been wanting one of these for some time now. The flash on the Focus is too bright not to use as a flashlight. Thanks!

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Just a few words about UI and functionality: HTC has a perfect example how to flashlight application should be implemented. Why don't you use HTC assets and add same (if possible of course - two levels of flashlight works only on HTC handsets) functionality?

Aleki

Jan 18, 2008
Hmm, how long before M$ allows dev's to toggle functions via live tiles?
That would be a handy feature for this app :)

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Hmm, how long before M$ allows dev's to toggle functions via live tiles?
That would be a handy feature for this app :)

Interesting thought... and to tell you the truth it wouldnt be hard to just issue the toggle on launch and then quit which would essentially do what you want. The app would initialize then toggle the cam and quit back to the tile screen.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
No, get switch on titles - not so good idea! But have a HTC assets and functionality sounds much better. If you want I can send you a HTC flashlight graphics.

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
No, get switch on titles - not so good idea! But have a HTC assets and functionality sounds much better. If you want I can send you a HTC flashlight graphics.

I understood what you meant but since its not available I was just suggesting that it was as close as I could get ;)

Why wouldnt you just use the HTC one if you wanted its graphics/functions?

Sure you can PM me a link to get the HTC stuff.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
It's simple - 'cause I have (personally) Samsung Focus :) (but have a bunch of different development handsets at office)

P.S. Actually I can spend a few hours and write that app by myself but if you already started...

davepermen

Mar 3, 2009
Just a few words about UI and functionality: HTC has a perfect example how to flashlight application should be implemented. Why don't you use HTC assets and add same (if possible of course - two levels of flashlight works only on HTC handsets) functionality?

the htc solution is absolutely ugly and does not fit the windows phone 7 metro theme and application design AT ALL.

best would be to be able to do it straight from a tile. but i doubt it's possible.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
the htc solution is absolutely ugly and does not fit the windows phone 7 metro theme and application design AT ALL.

HTC solution is absolutely PERFECT: well designed, nice looking and very functional. And HTC have a similar (same UI) application for Android handsets. No chance to compare with crap published here (including mine), it such a very professional flashlight app implementation (but they have an access to the flashlight directly - turning on/off very fast, ability to set LED level)!

Who cares about "metro theme"? Flashlight is a flashlight; if you wanna more "metro theme" - install all useless crap from market (countless converters, calculators etc. etc.).

davepermen

Mar 3, 2009
i want consistency. htc does not provide me that with their ugly non-fitting applications. unlike most other developers. metro isn't a complicated design guideline, so seeing all those apps from htc is really sad.

if you want to have apps in all form of designs with no consistency, then do so. i want stuff made for wp7. not stuff ported from android.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
BTW, have you ever seen HTC flashlight app? (you are really sounds very strange to me...) Could point to any WP7 flashlight app (including topic starter's) what can be even comparable with HTC's app?..
And what's wrong with HTC flashlight? The nice flashlight graphics on the black background? Metro theme app bar menus? Hmm...
Also, I'd like to see some of your apps (of course if you have one!) You are the author of one of the countless and useless "converters, calculators" etc. (Marketplace full of that crap)?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just for fun I wrote a flashlight app. I know, there are already a few others but this was a first dive in to a windows phone 7 app and I thought I would share:

Splash.jpg

FlashApp.jpg

The only glitch I have seen is toggling QUICKLY between on and off doesnt work and the light stays on. Exitting usually fixes it, however if it doesnt then relaunch and the re-initialize of the camera will turn it off.

The XAP is attached.