[01 FEB][RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for HD2 - v1.3

Search This thread

RaiderX303

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2009
Merseyside
if you find CWM boots with the SD only formatted with FAT32 and no EXT4 partition, try using CWM to reformat the SD and it should work (make sure you mount the SD in magldr after rebooting to copy CWM back onto the SD as the partitioning will remove it

ozym

Sep 30, 2009
London, UK
ROM Manager

Hi guys, I've tried scanning the thread and can't find the answer so please forgive me if I've missed it...

Is there a way to get ROM Manager to work ?
Is this likely to be fixed ?

Thanks and great work !

kendragon

Apr 14, 2009
Bari
I have a nand rom android but I haven't cwm. If now I install cwm I loose my nand android rom? I must reinstal it?

ozym

Sep 30, 2009
London, UK
I have a nand rom android but I haven't cwm. If now I install cwm I loose my nand android rom? I must reinstal it?

Yes. I did this. Originally I have just the NAND and I wanted to go to Nand + CWM but installing CWM broke the NAND.

However I did a Titanium backup first so :

1) Titatium backup
2) Install CWM
3) Reflash Android NAND
4) Titatium Restore.

Reactions: kendragon

not2nys

Sep 23, 2010
www.thewastedpotential.com
Yeah... I have only gotten this to work once with two different SD cards.
I went back to a regular DAF flash and then wanted to reflash my phone
with a CWR updated ROM. I followed all the directions as before, and even
used the SD card that did actually work the first time. And, it's been giving
me the same SD kernel open failed bull time and time again.

At this point in time, this method is a bust, and until the chefs get this working
properly, I offer my strong suggestion that releases be made in the standard
DAF method. I will not be supporting any chefs who continue to release ROMs
only in CWR update flashes. It's unreliable. No offense to RaiderX303 or the
CyanogenMod team. But, you guys need to get this more together.

Alternatively, you should post a concise, step-by-step method to flashing/reflashing
to make it work. Honestly, the OP is relatively vague, and provides ZERO useful
troubleshooting. All issue resolutions and troubleshooting should be updated in
your OPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: savecahd

me3pheap

Sep 22, 2010
Can anyone fix BluetooTh working ??? It doesnt work on Nand android rom + CWM
and how can I go back wm 6.5 ? SORRY for dump question :)

nightcraw

Nov 22, 2010
CA
ClockworkMod Recovery for HD2 - FAQ
Q.1: Can I keep my Existing NAND ROM before I install CWM?
A.1: No, Backup with other method like Titatium backup before you install CWM.

Q.2: Can I keep my Existing ROM after I installed CWM?
A.2: Yes, You can create as many backup images of your system and data partitions as your SD Card memory space allows.

Q.3: I can not boot Recovery Kernel on SD!
A.3A:
1. Make sure initrd.gz and zImage is at root of your SD
2. Make sure aMAGLDR is set to boot from your root of SD. Use Services->BootSetting->AD SD Dir-> <.>
3. Try Boot AD SD again
A.3B:
1. create a /Recovery at root of your SD and place initrd.gz and zImage there
2. Set Services->BootSetting->AD SD Dir->RECOVERY from your aMAGLDR menu.
3. Try Boot AD SD again
A.3C: Try a different SD card with the method in A & B
A.3D: Upgrade to at least v1.3. Since v1.3 boot from NAND it remove SD compatibility issues.

Q.4: Can I flash NON CWM ROM directly into CWM?
A.4: Most Likely YES, but may depend on the ROM. just edit the flash.cfg that come with the NAND ROM.
for example:
original flash.cfg:
Code:
system ya|boot|ro filesize system.img
userdata ya|asize|hr allsize

For ClockworkMod 1.2:
change flash.cfg to

Code:
misc ya 1M
recovery ya|ro 5M
boot ya|ro 5M
system ya|boot|ro filesize system.img
cache ya 10M

Flash it and this will be CWM compatible partition.

For Clockwork 1.3:
1. Upgrade to MAGLDR 1.13
2. Download 250M ClockworkMod
3. Create a Directory to unpack the 250M ClockworkMod files
4. Copy the system.img from the ROM you want to flash into that Directory. (because MAGLDR 1.13 is new. DAF include from the NAND ROM may not support the new rrecov and yboot flags.)
5. Modify the flash.cfg as following.

Code:
misc ya 1M
recovery rrecov|ro|nospr filesize recovery-raw.img
boot ya|ro 5M
system yboot|filesize system.img
cache ya 10M
ClockworkMod use DAF too, the idea is to flash the ROM at the same time with a compatible partition for ClockworkMod Recovery.

You should try to keep system partition size to one of ClockworkMod presets (150M, 250M, 400M) when ever possible.

Q.5 I thought the system partition has to be 250M or 400M
A.5 Not really, It was set to ensure CWM style ROMS are compatible with each other without the need to repartition. However, if you are only interested in using CWM for backup your existing NAND ROM, there is no reason that it can't be between anything between 250M or 400M. I do however recommend if your system.img is close one of those numbers, keeping them at preset 250M or 400M will have better compatible with other CWM ROM. But since the backup is so easy. It's quite easy to flash a new partition then restore the img back without losing any data.

Last edited:

b0redj0rd

Jan 15, 2011
UK
That works for me too but i need an ext4 partition...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

I have the same issue - I can get Clockwork to load however as soon as I format for use with A2SD (eg. create EXT4 partition) it stays on the 123456 GO screen when loading ....

Please .. IS there a fix for this ? I have resorted to reflashing with a non CWM ROM for the time being however I'd prefer to get set up with CWM so I can update without loosing everything ...

comic

Jul 12, 2006
SD kernel open failed message

Hi guys. I have just been trying for a looong time to install my first clockwork NAND Rom. But i'm totally stuck at the step when you click on 'Boot AD SD' in the MAGLDR. Here I get the following message 'SD kernel open failed'. I am using the latest Clockworkmod v1.2, using the latest radio for HTC HD2, and even the magldr is latest version V1.12.
So I'm stuck, I can't go further and I can't install the rom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, i triple checked and have done everything according to the manual included here...several times (and in the mdjs nand rom). Am i doing something wrong or is there some kind of bug??
pls help as I'm out of options here:/

arif-ali

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2007
Sheffield
blog.arif-ali.co.uk
Hi guys. I have just been trying for a looong time to install my first clockwork NAND Rom. But i'm totally stuck at the step when you click on 'Boot AD SD' in the MAGLDR. Here I get the following message 'SD kernel open failed'. I am using the latest Clockworkmod v1.2, using the latest radio for HTC HD2, and even the magldr is latest version V1.12.
So I'm stuck, I can't go further and I can't install the rom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, i triple checked and have done everything according to the manual included here...several times (and in the mdjs nand rom). Am i doing something wrong or is there some kind of bug??
pls help as I'm out of options here:/

Have you copied the initrd.gz and zImage to the sdcard

tdizzle404

Nov 27, 2010
North Georgia
Have you copied the initrd.gz and zImage to the sdcard

I have the same prob and done everything step by step from v1.0 and up. I been stuck since midnight and nobody has really been able to help. I tried 3 diff tutorials and youtube vids.I hate to say it but i kinda givin up ready to enjoy MDJ's New build, but in the morning"lol"when his update comes out ill be wishing I had CWM running. any programs similar that will work on hd2?:confused::confused::confused:

comic

Jul 12, 2006
Mattfmarting, thanx for the tip. I tried it, but alas it didn't work. If anyone else has any more ideas, they are more than welcome (arif-ali ofcourse I copied initrd.gz and zImage, that is one of essential steps). I have followed everything to the letter.

b0redj0rd

Jan 15, 2011
UK
Mattfmarting, thanx for the tip. I tried it, but alas it didn't work. If anyone else has any more ideas, they are more than welcome (arif-ali ofcourse I copied initrd.gz and zImage, that is one of essential steps). I have followed everything to the letter.

I was having similar issues - They resolved themselves when I formatted (and reformatted .. and reformatted ..) using Paragon (as FAT32). Eventually I booted to CWM and created my EXT4 partition but after I did this I couldn't boot back to CWM to install my ROM. I think it's buggy as hell as a few people in this thread seem to have the same issues - The instructions on the first page could do with an overhaul.

b0redj0rd

Jan 15, 2011
UK
I have the same prob and done everything step by step from v1.0 and up. I been stuck since midnight and nobody has really been able to help. I tried 3 diff tutorials and youtube vids.I hate to say it but i kinda givin up ready to enjoy MDJ's New build, but in the morning"lol"when his update comes out ill be wishing I had CWM running. any programs similar that will work on hd2?:confused::confused::confused:

For people having issues (like me) with the CWM install ... This was posted on MDJ's thread today ... I will be giving this a go later.

Originally Posted by Sentinel196
I'm gonna write up a guide over the next few days to help all those who are having trouble getting ClockWorkMod to work.

I found the solution last night. You just need to format the SD card using "SD Formatter" and then copy the clockwork files and the rom zip you want to flash back to the card, then flash the rom, then use clockwork to partition the SD card BEFORE the rom loads for the first time, then copy the clockwork files back across again.

I'll write up a proper guide, but that method worked for me when I was having exactly the same issues.

lemar123

May 14, 2010
Minimal size of cache partition ?

What is minimal size of cache partition ?

I want to combine CMR flash.cfg and gauner1986 Z-FI 0.1 flash.cfg into one, supporting CMR - to get this rom and CMR working fine.

So what is minimal cache size ?
What are mandatory partitions to CMR to work properly ?
misc ya 1M <- I expect it is required
recovery ya|ro 5M <- I expect it is required
boot ya|boot|ro 5M <- is it necessery ? (Z-FI rom uses system partition as boot)
system ya 130M <- size as system.img (from Z-FI flash.cfg)
cache ya 10M <- can it be 5 M or even less ?
userdata ya|asize|hr allsize <- required

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ ALL OF THE OP BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

The Intro;
    As we now have NAND booting for the HD2, its time we also had a way to flash ROMs from the SD aswell so here we have ClockworkMod Recovery compiled for the HD2. It is fully working except ROM Manager is not supported.

Recovery can now boot from NAND instead of the old SD Card boot method, to flash the rom, download the recovery with the partition layout you require, then flash as you would a standard NAND rom using DAF and MAGLDR USB Flasher. then select AD Recovery to load into recovery.

MAGLDR v1.13 IS REQUIRED, OLDER VERSIONS ARE NOT SUPPORTED, DOWNLOAD v1.13 HERE

Kind note to Devs;
    Please stop posting modified flash.cfg files for use with CWM

CWM is designed to make it easier to flash roms without needing a windows PC, if you post a different flash.cfg in each rom thread then it defeats this purpose as a pc will be required for flashing each layout.

Stick to using the default partition layouts or use USB flasher

WARNING MESSAGES:
    GOING FROM A DAF FLASHED ROM TO A RECOVERY FLASHED ROM WILL WIPE ALL DATA
    IF YOU FLASH ANOTHER ROM USING DAF, RECOVERY WILL NO LONGER WORK CORRECTLY, YOU WILL NEED TO REFLASH RECOVERY

Features;
    -Flash ROMs in update.zip format
    -Backup and restore ROMs using Nandroid
    -Flash ROMs from the SD card without use of a PC
    -Easilly Wipe all Data/Cache
    -Repartition SD card for use with Apps2SD
    -Full Root ADB access
    -Fix app permissions

How to use;
    For MAGLDR NAND Boot;
    1. Download recovery with partition size for the type of rom you plan on using, see guide below if unsure.
    2. Extract downloaded file and load magldr into USB Flasher mode.
    3. Run DAF.exe and follow instructions
    4. After completed and phone reboots, hold power key and select AD Recovery from list
    5. Recovery will now load

For old style SD Boot;
    1. download one of the partition files for SD Boot, if you don't know which one you need, use the 250M one or check with rom developer.
    2. Extract downloaded zip to a folder of your choice
    3. Copy contents of copy_to_sd_root (initrd.gz and zImage) to the root of your sd card
    4. boot into magldr and select USB Flasher option while phone is connected to PC
    5. Run DAF.exe included in the zip and follow onscreen instructions.
    6. After complete, again boot into magldr and select "Boot AD SD" option
    7. ClockworkMod recovery should load, you can flash a rom from here.

Video Tutorials;

Downloads;

Changelog;
    v1.3;
    -Supports AD Recovery in MAGLDR
    -MAGLDR v1.13 REQUIRED Download HERE
    -400MB Partition layout now works with 512MB LEO for roms with Data2SD

v1.2;
    -Fixed SD-EXT Backup/Restore/Wipe

v1.1;
    -Updated ClockworkMod to 3.0.0.5, now based on Gingerbread Source

v1.0;
    - Initial Release

Q&A;
    Q. Ive flashed v1.3 but cant access recovery anymore.
    A. Make sure you are using MAGLDR 1.13 and are selecting "AD Recovery" instead of "Boot AD SD"

Q. Ive downloaded v1.3 but there is no copy_to_sd folder
    A. Recovery no longer requires any files on the SD card, just flash it like a standard nand rom and select "AD Recovery in magldr menu

Q. Can I change the partition sizes used for CWM
    A. You can by editing the flash.cfg but this is not recommended, CWM is designed to make it easier for switching roms, by flashing a custom partition size you may stop other roms working and require reflashing a new partition size when you want to change roms.

Q. I dont know which partition size to download
    A. Depending on what type of roms you plan on using, you should choose the partition size based on the following.
    150MB Partition - For bare roms including CyanogenMod, AOSP, and MiUI
    250MB Partition - For Standard sense roms including Desire and EVo based ROMs, can also be used for some squashed HD builds
    400MB Partition - For Larger roms including unsquashed Desire HD and Z roms, ROMs REQUIRE data2sd for EU HD2 with 512MB NAND

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE BY USING THIS RECOVERY IMAGE*
    Notes for devs;
    Please add tags to the title of your threads stating if they are to be flashed with recovery or DAF, [ZIP] for recovery update.zip and [USB] if its installed over usb using daf.
    The cache partition is only 10MB so that recovery can still use it, to get cache to work in android, make a directory in data called cachemnt and on boot symlink /cache to /data/cachemnt, this does not apply when using 150M partition size

Credits go to;
    -Cotulla + DFT for the great work for Android on NAND
    -CyanogenMod team for work on recovery
    -Anyone else who has made the HD2 a great device
    Keep your current ROM and still create Recovery Partition

Running DAF.exe with erase your current ROM out of NAND. It needs to do this to repartition. But, just running Clockwork does not remove your current ROM. Stay with me here...

I just loaded up CW recovery WITHOUT repartitioning first, and then backed up my current ROM. Now then repartitioned and restored my backed up ROM. [It works]!

Steps takenr:
    - Copied file from "copy_to_sd_root" to ./Recov on SD
    - Rebooted (need to do this to set SD boot Dir correctly, or you will get green text flash)
    - Set ./Recov as my SD boot Dir.
    - Booted to SD... Yes. Into Clockwork.
    - It said "E:Can't find MISC:" but looked good other than that.
    - Ran Backup. Waited. "Backed up boot, system, data, .android-secure, and cache. It skipped the sd-ext as I do not have one.
    - Said "Backup complete!"
    - Reboot back into MAGDLR and follow the rest of the steps (Flash using DAF.exe) to repartition. Now it will not boot to NAND. Tried it.
    - Boot into CW Recovery using SD boot again
    - Now see if your restore works.
    - When the restore is done, reboot back into MAGDLR and choose NAND boot and it should boot back into your ROM just as you left it!

It worked for me. Should I create a Tutorial/Walk-through topic? I will just leave this here for now and get some feed back. I make no promises that it will work for you.

-Unconnected
    150 MB: HotFile
    250 MB: MediaFire
    400 MB: HotFile

If you thought this helps, gimme a thanks ;)
    Here are (attached) the three recoveries files in a torrent. And that would be my first contribution to this wonderful community :).