The ethics of cell carrier's throttling us

Search This thread

Twiddler

Aug 11, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
Huawei P10
I was throttled last billing cycle at 3GB on AT&T.

My download speed (as tested) was 300KB download and 1000K (unchanged) upload.

AT&T can bite my ass... I signed up for an unlimited internet contract and paid my bill every month for years. Now they F*** me by slowing me down to an unusable speed.

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
I was on the same boat I jumped to sprint but after a few weeks I couldn't stand the slow 3g at all it was like 300kbps almost all the time. I had a nexus 4g though but it would only connect to 4g about a quarter if the time. I was locked in to a contract by that time though and wanted out then I read that sprint was letting some people out because they changed their discount policy for family plans to only discount the fist line. That was my ticket out so I found a listing on craigslist of someone giving up their
Verizon account with two unlimited data lines and I hopped right on that. After some arguing with sprint rep they let me go etf free and I sold one iphone 4s that I bought for 200 for 475 on ebay lol. If I had known that this would happen I would have bought 2 iphones. Anyways I am much more satisfied with verizon the 3g is not as fast as att but at least they have a much better throttling policy I have yet to be throttled and my line gets an upgrade next month I know they don't throttle lte I think I'll get the sgs3 if big red gets it.
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
I read somewhere that if verizon sees that you are tethering illegally they will throttle you I'm not sure how that works or how long they will throttle you for though I know on my xperia play they redirected me to a site that tells me to buy a tethering plan until I used the correct settings for the wifi tether then I could tether but I didn't see any throttling though I didn't tether for more than a few minutes either I just wanted to test it

Twiddler

Aug 11, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
Huawei P10
I read somewhere that if verizon sees that you are tethering illegally they will throttle you...

The term "tethering illegally" makes me cringe. I prefer "tethering without paying them for the privilege of using my data my way", but I realize that takes up far too much time to type.

It makes me realize how much throttling my unlimited plan after 3GB pisses me off.

Their argument for charging me extra for tethering is that "tethering consumes more data" which is clearly refuted by solid data in post #116 in this thread.

Even if I don't tether, they slam the brakes on after 3GB, for the entire rest of the billing period.

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
I am on AT&T too and I just used 22GB on the unlimited plan and my speeds were fine. With verizon, when they "throttle" they throttle and cut you off.

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
Since these companies are going after the "top 5%" it would be nice if those ppl got pissed an left them. That would put a ding in their wallet.

koreanschoolkid

Mar 27, 2011
Succasunna, NJ
They throttled you at 12gigs? I ran my meter up to 15gigs without any issues and have seen posts of people downloading far more without issue as well. An annoying example was of a person who proudly proclaimed he used his LTE connection to play XBL...

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
1) Me for I have both right now.

2) Nope ( I have used about 10GB so far and I am all good.)