Polaroid All in One - Root, Un-Root, Play Store, Should work on other devices

Search This thread

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Polaroid All in One is a C++ application that will easily and quickly Root, Un-Root, and Install / Remove Google Applications and Google Services Framework. This software is designed for the PTAB8000, and PMID800. However, should work for similar tablets running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean (Google Apps only supported on Android 4.0.x). If you use this software with any other device please post your results in the this forum.

Requirements
  • Microsoft Windows (Tested on Windows 7 and Windows XP)
  • ADB Drivers Installed
  • Android Device Running 4.0 or 4.1 (Google Apps only supported on 4.0.x)

Recommended Method

Use version 1.6b to root your device, then use version 2.1b to install Google Framework.

UPDATE 8/11/14 -- Why doesn't this work with my device?

I just wanted to clear a few things up. I have had a few inquires about PAIO (Polaroid AIO) not installing Google Framework on their devices. The framework included in the latest releases is only compatible with Android 4.0.x. While PAIO v1.6b should be able to root 4.0, and 4.1 devices, the application will refuse to load the framework on a non-compatible version of android. If your tablet is not running a variant of Ice Cream Sandwich, it's simply not going to work. If we continue development we can support newer versions of Android. But, for now you would have to install the framework manually. If you would like to pursue a manual install I recommend you check out this page: http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps Make sure you know what you are doing, and install the version that is correct for your device. I'm waiting to get more feedback on the poll before I decide to continue this project.

Have a great week everyone,

Wayne

UPDATE 8/10/14 -- [Quick Survey] Should we continue development?

As I am sure some of you have noticed by now, this project has not been under active development for over a year now. We had an event that resulted in a loss of the source code for the project. As a result, the project was put on the back burner as it worked "OK"-ish. Between the 1.6b and 2.1b releases it did meet the requirements at the time, which was to root and install a full play store on the PTAB8000, and PMID800 devices. While these devices may not be as popular at this time (they had a fairly high failure rate). There are other Generic devices that people have used this program on, with mixed results. I did have a PTAB8000 with a cracked screen donated a while back. As long as we have people to test/debug, and support the project however they can. I am willing to start the project from scratch (again).

All I ask is for a few minutes of your time to take a quick survey to help me understand the interest we have in this project.
Click here to take the survey.

UPDATE 1/21/13 -- Polaroid AIO v2.1b [Beta Release]

After a nightmare's worth of coding Polaroid All in One v2.1b is finally here. This update aims to provide the best possible user experience. While utilizing the latest patches discovered by the team. I would like to give a special shout out to Android Pizza for taking the initiative to get a fully stocked Play Store on the PTAB8000. Special thanks to the guys over at FreakTab for providing the permission files needed for the patch on the PTAB8000. Last but not least I would like to thank all of you for testing every release. You're feedback is critical to this product. Every post has helped with PAIO's development process.

PTAB8000 users please make sure you are running a stock firmware. If you have tried earlier versions of PAIO, or have used any other files to patch your tablet, you must re-flash your tablet. Please see the section below on flashing your PTAB8000.

JuU1Oke.png

UPDATE 12/30/12 -- Polaroid AIO v1.6b [Old, Stable Release]

I am leaving this version posted as it seems to have been the most stable version. This will work with Android Pizza's tutorial on the PTAB8000, and works perfectly on the PMID800. It is recommended this version be used to root, and 2.1b used to install the framework (if supported on your device).

Downloads
ADB Drivers
Polaroid AIO v1.6b
Polaroid AIO v2.1b

PTAB8000 Flashing Tutorial
PTAB8000 v2 Firmware (v1 is no longer hosted by Southern Telecom)

Last edited:

uncuthkid

Dec 26, 2012
Polaroid AIO

Was able to add google play to the PMID800 Polaroid Tablet. There was all ready some framework, so I removed google then re-added.

Reactions: TeODH4

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Well unfortunately it seems my ptab8000's screen stopped working... I am going to try and get the device exchanged, Khols may be out of stock on this item now... :-/

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Just updated this thread see the original post for the Polaroid All in One 1.3b beta release. I need people to test this update and let me know if it fixes the issues with the Google Services Framework, and the Google Play Store crashing. Make sure you choose Remove Google Applications and Framework first be fore you install the updated gapps.

Good luck please post back to this thread with your results.

-Wayne

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Minor Bug Fix

Fixed minor bug when displaying information about connected device. updated post, please download 1.3.1b

Pihrana

Dec 19, 2005
Fixed minor bug when displaying information about connected device. updated post, please download 1.3.1b

I'm trying to give it a go but I cannot get Windows 8 to recognise the device when I plug it in. I managed to get the ADB drivers installed eventually as you need a work around for the "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information" but that didnt help Windows 8 see the device. Then I installed the Google USB Drivers from the Android SDK Manager, but that hasn't helped.

I have everything checked correctly in the Settings --> Developer's section too....... Anyone else managed to get this device to work with Windows 8?

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
I'm trying to give it a go but I cannot get Windows 8 to recognise the device when I plug it in. I managed to get the ADB drivers installed eventually as you need a work around for the "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information" but that didnt help Windows 8 see the device. Then I installed the Google USB Drivers from the Android SDK Manager, but that hasn't helped.

I have everything checked correctly in the Settings --> Developer's section too....... Anyone else managed to get this device to work with Windows 8?

What device do you have? Did you follow these steps here? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982718 Can you run an adb command to interface with the device? I do not currently have a Windows 8 install to debug on. Give me a couple hours and I'll setup a VM for some debuging... You may also want to try using compatibility mode. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-8/run-a-program-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-8/

Last edited:

Pihrana

Dec 19, 2005
OK. I ended up using a crappy Netbook running Win7 and your v1.3b can see the device perfectly. Unfortunately I don't have any Google apps, but I do have root. Not sure why framework and Google apps didn't work but I even tried resetting the tablet to stock to try again. I've tried all options numerous times, and no beans on this device I'm afraid.

Like I said. It rooted perfectly and I love how slick everything is. Seriously impressive work my friend. Hopefully you can take a look into the issues I'm having? Anyone else had this problem?

I do have one more PTAB8000 I can try this one once I'm given the tablet that is... (Doing this for my Lads girlfriend and sister)

Thanks TeOHD4 !!

Last edited:

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
OK. I ended up using a crappy Netbook running Win7 and your v1.3b can see the device perfectly. Unfortunately I don't have any Google apps, but I do have root. Not sure why framework and Google apps didn't work but I even tried resetting the tablet to stock to try again. I've tried all options numerous times, and no beans on this device I'm afraid.

Like I said. It rooted perfectly and I love how slick everything is. Seriously impressive work my friend. Hopefully you can take a look into the issues I'm having? Anyone else had this problem?

I do have one more PTAB8000 I can try this one once I'm given the tablet that is... (Doing this for my Lads girlfriend and sister)

Thanks TeOHD4 !!

Is the device that will not give you google apps a PTAB8000? No errors given?
Also have you tried 1.2? The Framework is a little buggy but will be helpful in debugging why this is not working with your device.

Thank you for the support. Glad you where able to at least get root, and we will work on getting google apps installed for you. Give 1.2 a go and let me know what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pihrana

Pihrana

Dec 19, 2005
Is the device that will not give you google apps a PTAB8000? No errors given?
Also have you tried 1.2? The Framework is a little buggy but will be helpful in debugging why this is not working with your device.

Thank you for the support. Glad you where able to at least get root, and we will work on getting google apps installed for you. Give 1.2 a go and let me know what happens.

Both are PTAB8000's. The one I have at the moment just worked with v1.2 on the 1st attempt when trying to add the framework and gApps.. I didn't try any other option since v1.3b rooted it first..

v1.3b didnt give any error messages... My observations between v1.2 and v1.3b is that they both show that they are doing the same thing, but v1.3b does it at such a speed that it's hard to imagine that the device had enough time to receive the files that were being pushed. On v1.2 is was a lot slower and more in tune with the fact that data is being pushed to the device.

Then on the reboot, you get the Android is updating logo before hitting the desktop for version 1.2, whereas I didn't get that with v1.3b....

I can't test any of the apps just yet as I need my Son's, Girlfriends gmail account details but so far so good.

Seriously GREAT work TeODH4

Reactions: TeODH4

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Both are PTAB8000's. The one I have at the moment just worked with v1.2 on the 1st attempt when trying to add the framework and gApps.. I didn't try any other option since v1.3b rooted it first..

v1.3b didnt give any error messages... My observations between v1.2 and v1.3b is that they both show that they are doing the same thing, but v1.3b does it at such a speed that it's hard to imagine that the device had enough time to receive the files that were being pushed. On v1.2 is was a lot slower and more in tune with the fact that data is being pushed to the device.

Then on the reboot, you get the Android is updating logo before hitting the desktop for version 1.2, whereas I didn't get that with v1.3b....

I can't test any of the apps just yet as I need my Son's, Girlfriends gmail account details but so far so good.

Ok thanks for your feedback. 1.2 should work for you However you will experience some bugs such as com.google.gapps randomly crashing which i tried to fix. in 1.3b. I will take a look at the 1.3 code and see if i can figure out what the issue is. Maybe add some better error checking.

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012

Found the issue with 1.3. just a simple typo when trying to change directory to Resources/gapps. If you don't mind give 1.4b a shot,
Be sure to Remove Google Apps first, then install. It worked just fine with my simulation. But without having a tablet to debug on at the moment its hard to be sure...

Thanks,
Wayne

dutanico

Dec 31, 2007
PolaroidAIO stuck waiting for the devide to be ready

Hi,
I tried AIO 1.3-1.4 on a PTAB8000 and it it just waits forever for the tablet to be ready. The ADB drivers appear properly installed (I see an Android Phone/ADB interface in the device manager on XP SP2). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

TeODH4

Dec 23, 2012
Hi,
I tried AIO 1.3-1.4 on a PTAB8000 and it it just waits forever for the tablet to be ready. The ADB drivers appear properly installed (I see an Android Phone/ADB interface in the device manager on XP SP2). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

can you upload a screenshot? what device do you have?

Pihrana

Dec 19, 2005
Found the issue with 1.3. just a simple typo when trying to change directory to Resources/gapps. If you don't mind give 1.4b a shot,
Be sure to Remove Google Apps first, then install. It worked just fine with my simulation. But without having a tablet to debug on at the moment its hard to be sure...

Thanks,
Wayne

Hey Wayne, My sons GF has took her tablet after finishing work. Until she brings her sisters tablet over I'm without a device to help try things out :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Polaroid All in One is a C++ application that will easily and quickly Root, Un-Root, and Install / Remove Google Applications and Google Services Framework. This software is designed for the PTAB8000, and PMID800. However, should work for similar tablets running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean (Google Apps only supported on Android 4.0.x). If you use this software with any other device please post your results in the this forum.

Requirements
    • Microsoft Windows (Tested on Windows 7 and Windows XP)
    • ADB Drivers Installed
    • Android Device Running 4.0 or 4.1 (Google Apps only supported on 4.0.x)

Recommended Method

Use version 1.6b to root your device, then use version 2.1b to install Google Framework.

UPDATE 8/11/14 -- Why doesn't this work with my device?

I just wanted to clear a few things up. I have had a few inquires about PAIO (Polaroid AIO) not installing Google Framework on their devices. The framework included in the latest releases is only compatible with Android 4.0.x. While PAIO v1.6b should be able to root 4.0, and 4.1 devices, the application will refuse to load the framework on a non-compatible version of android. If your tablet is not running a variant of Ice Cream Sandwich, it's simply not going to work. If we continue development we can support newer versions of Android. But, for now you would have to install the framework manually. If you would like to pursue a manual install I recommend you check out this page: http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps Make sure you know what you are doing, and install the version that is correct for your device. I'm waiting to get more feedback on the poll before I decide to continue this project.

Have a great week everyone,

Wayne

UPDATE 8/10/14 -- [Quick Survey] Should we continue development?

As I am sure some of you have noticed by now, this project has not been under active development for over a year now. We had an event that resulted in a loss of the source code for the project. As a result, the project was put on the back burner as it worked "OK"-ish. Between the 1.6b and 2.1b releases it did meet the requirements at the time, which was to root and install a full play store on the PTAB8000, and PMID800 devices. While these devices may not be as popular at this time (they had a fairly high failure rate). There are other Generic devices that people have used this program on, with mixed results. I did have a PTAB8000 with a cracked screen donated a while back. As long as we have people to test/debug, and support the project however they can. I am willing to start the project from scratch (again).

All I ask is for a few minutes of your time to take a quick survey to help me understand the interest we have in this project.
    Click here to take the survey.

UPDATE 1/21/13 -- Polaroid AIO v2.1b [Beta Release]

After a nightmare's worth of coding Polaroid All in One v2.1b is finally here. This update aims to provide the best possible user experience. While utilizing the latest patches discovered by the team. I would like to give a special shout out to Android Pizza for taking the initiative to get a fully stocked Play Store on the PTAB8000. Special thanks to the guys over at FreakTab for providing the permission files needed for the patch on the PTAB8000. Last but not least I would like to thank all of you for testing every release. You're feedback is critical to this product. Every post has helped with PAIO's development process.

PTAB8000 users please make sure you are running a stock firmware. If you have tried earlier versions of PAIO, or have used any other files to patch your tablet, you must re-flash your tablet. Please see the section below on flashing your PTAB8000.

JuU1Oke.png

UPDATE 12/30/12 -- Polaroid AIO v1.6b [Old, Stable Release]

I am leaving this version posted as it seems to have been the most stable version. This will work with Android Pizza's tutorial on the PTAB8000, and works perfectly on the PMID800. It is recommended this version be used to root, and 2.1b used to install the framework (if supported on your device).

Downloads
    ADB Drivers
    Polaroid AIO v1.6b
    Polaroid AIO v2.1b

PTAB8000 Flashing Tutorial
    PTAB8000 v2 Firmware (v1 is no longer hosted by Southern Telecom)
    Fair enough, I'll inspect the files a little more closely and see if we can shrink it all down. Did you have to run the Play Store before using the second set of files? Or does it work just the same if you copy both sets and then run the Play Store for the first time since the re-flash?

I updated the Main Post to reflect your method and created Mediafire mirrors of your files.

Regards,

Wayne

Honestly, I have no idea. I might do some experimenting to find out soon.
    Until then, we'll just have to wait for some feedback!

AndroidPizza
    Sort of, you see, when I got Google Play working I used one permission package then another. They don't seem to work alone. I tried to make this tutorial as close as it can be to what I did to get it working.

AndroidPizza

Fair enough, I'll inspect the files a little more closely and see if we can shrink it all down. Did you have to run the Play Store before using the second set of files? Or does it work just the same if you copy both sets and then run the Play Store for the first time since the re-flash?

I updated the Main Post to reflect your method and created Mediafire mirrors of your files.

Regards,

Wayne
    Honestly, I have no idea. I might do some experimenting to find out soon.
    Until then, we'll just have to wait for some feedback!

AndroidPizza

Sounds good, In the mean time I'm going to do a GUI rewrite of PolaroidAIO.
    Are the files in DSPermissions all the permission files you needed to get the play store working?

Sort of, you see, when I got Google Play working I used one permission package then another. They don't seem to work alone. I tried to make this tutorial as close as it can be to what I did to get it working.

AndroidPizza