Rogers/ATT HTC One X on WIND/T-Mobile (AWS)

Search This thread

kdu85

Jul 15, 2010
same for the ATT version of the Samsung Note, a modem flash made it compatible with AWS 3g

fungflex

Oct 19, 2005
Denville, NJ
I'm hoping it's like the skyrocket mod, that can be done to one x... so, hard to resist from getting it, might have to wait for wind to get the one s that t-mobile is getting:(

same for the ATT version of the Samsung Note, a modem flash made it compatible with AWS 3g

Don't get me wrong. I preordered the HTC One X on AT&T at full price and will have it this next Friday. If it doesn't work, I already set-up a thread discussing the radio mod with a donation offer.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614946

danada

Apr 20, 2012
Toronto
Just an update: I contacted HTC regarding the discrepancy between the official specifications (AWS on wcdma), and Rogers' specifications (AWS on LTE only) and received this very promising response:

Thank you for contacting HTC. I would be glad to clarify this for you Daniel.

The HTC One X as sold by Rogers Wireless supports the following bands LTE CAT3 - DL 100 /UL 50; LTE: 700/AWS; WCDMA: 2100/1900/AWS/850; EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 .

It should not be a problem for you to use an unlocked version of this device with the Canadian carrier of your choice, if you so choose. To ensure that the tech specs on our support site were accurate, I conferred with our escalations team. You can be confident that it does indeed support the bands as indicated.

As for why these specs differ on the Rogers support page, I cannot say. Originally the specs were posted there the same as the official HTC support page. I have brought this to the attention of the appropriate department internally on your behalf. They will look into contacting Rogers to see about having the data corrected on their site to avoid any further confusion to our HTC customers.

For more tech specs or to get the user manual for this phone, please visit our official support site at http://www.htc.com/ca/support/htconex-rogers/tech-specs/ . On the downloads tab you can access your user guide if necessary. Use the binocular icon on the left to enter keywords. This will search the guide and provide you a list of pages that refer to your search term.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to reply Daniel. We are open from 6am to 1am eastern time, 7 days a week.

Thank you again for contacting HTC, and have a great evening!

I'll follow-through on my test run on WIND tomorrow (going to cut up a friend's SIM!).

~dan

muchski

Dec 18, 2008
Hey I got a very similar response from HTC basically saying yup it is supported and in the meantime I've made a complaint with Rogers that I am waiting to hear back from, it's encouraging that HTC will try to contact them directly to remedy the situation as well! Very excited to hear your results tomorrow!

Just an update: I contacted HTC regarding the discrepancy between the official specifications (AWS on wcdma), and Rogers' specifications (AWS on LTE only) and received this very promising response:

I'll follow-through on my test run on WIND tomorrow (going to cut up a friend's SIM!).

~dan

nounousomes

Mar 31, 2007
Waiting for you results and hoping!

~dan

I tried also to contact hTc customer support and i am waiting for response. I hope it will work. I really want to go ahead and order this phone.

Please let me know who it went?

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
I wonder what marketing / customer service dept had learnt about technical spec?!

HTC said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting HTC. I would be glad to clarify this for you.

The HTC One X as sold by Rogers Wireless supports the following bands LTE CAT3 - DL 100 /UL 50; LTE: 700/AWS; WCDMA: 2100/1900/AWS/850; EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 .

It should not be a problem for you to use an unlocked version of this device with the Canadian carrier of your choice. To ensure that this information was accurate as posted on our site, I conferred with our escalations team. You can be confident that it does indeed support the bands as indicated.

For more tech specs or to get the user manual for this phone, please visit our official support site at http://www.htc.com/ca/support/htconex-rogers/tech-specs/ . On the downloads tab you can access your user guide if necessary. Use the binocular icon on the left to enter keywords. This will search the guide and provide you a list of pages that refer to your search term.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to reply. We are open from 6am to 1am eastern time, 7 days a week.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Jamie

HTC
--------------------------------------------------------------------

muchsk / danada,

Greetings.

Thank for your sharing. Can you please ask HTC why the variant in question i.e. the North American variant with LTE support from Rogers (also marketed as HTC One XL elsewhere) and Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Dual-core)... PJ83100, has NEVER filed any certification for WCDMA VOICE and DATA operation in the UMTS Band IV (AWS) at FCC and Industry Canada?

At FCC Office of Engineering and Technology, NM8PJ83100: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...e=N&application_id=198021&fcc_id='NM8PJ83100'

Check out the reports such as SAR report 1, we can find the reference...

GSM 850 / 1900
UMTS Band II (1900) / V (850)
LTE Band 4 (AWS) / 17 (700, Lower Block B & C for at&t)

At Industry Canada, Certification and Engineering Bureau, 4115A-PJ83100: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/reltel/srch/nwRdSrch.do?lang=eng

Radio Equipment List said:
Model: PJ83100
Company Number: 4115A
Company Name: HTC Corporation
Certification Number: 4115A-PJ83100
Approval Date: 2012-03-07
Type of Radio Equipment: Advanced Wireless Services Equipment (1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz) Bluetooth Device Cellular Mobile New Technologies (824-849 MHz) Local Area Network (LAN) Device PCS Mobile (1850-1910 MHz) RFID Device Spread Spectrum/Digital Device (2400-2483.5 MHz) Spread Spectrum/Digital Device (5725-5850 MHz) WLAN Wi-Fi device
Certified By: TIMCO Engineering Inc.

SAR Value ? : Device Used in the Vicinity of the Human Head (W/kg):

Evaluated against exposure limits for devices used by the general public (uncontrolled environment)
SAR Value ? : Body-Worn Device/ Body-Supported Device (W/kg):

Evaluated against exposure limits for devices used by the general public (uncontrolled environment)

RSS210 8.0 2.402 G 2.48 G 1M18F1D 1 mW 1 mW
RSS210 8.0 5.18 G 5.24 G 50M6D1D 22 mW 22 mW
RSS210 8.0 5.26 G 5.32 G 45M8D1D 21 mW 21 mW
RSS210 8.0 13.56 M 13.56 M 286KD1D 51.6 dBuV 3
RSS133 5.0 1.85 G 1.91 G 246KGXW 1.1 W 1.1 W
RSS132 2.0 826.4 M 846.6 M 4M18F9W 100 mW 100 mW
RSS210 8.0 5.5 G 5.7 G 51M0D1D 21 mW 21 mW
RSS132 2.0 824.2 M 848.8 M 246KG7W 200 mW 200 mW
RSS132 2.0 824.2 M 848.8 M 246KGXW 610 mW 610 mW
RSS133 5.0 1.85 G 1.91 G 250KG7W 490 mW 490 mW
RSS133 5.0 1.852 G 1.908 G 4M18F9W 180 mW 180 mW
RSS210 8.0 2.412 G 2.462 G 18M2D1D 143 mW 143 mW
RSS139 2.0 1.713 G 1.752 G 9M16W7D 360 mW 360 mW
RSS210 8.0 5.745 G 5.825 G 37M6D1D 100 mW 100 mW

The relevant designator in the AWS spectrum, 9M16W7D, refers to the LTE Band 4 (AWS) operation - NOT UMTS/HSPA+.

Also, it also contradicts with the real world experience by others like mobileservice in HoFo thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...TC-One-X-work-on-Wind?p=14789050#post14789050 as well as the latest update from you (danada) here.

Last edited:

danada

Apr 20, 2012
Toronto
muchsk / danada,

Also, it also contradicts with the real world experience by others like mobileservice in HoFo thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...TC-One-X-work-on-Wind?p=14789050#post14789050 as well as the latest update from you (danada) here.
From what I can tell, the hardware supports it but Rogers/AT&T do not plan to support it and locked it via regional firmware. Since the frequencies are locked through the firmware, they may not have to complete testing for the locked bands.

I did get an additional message from HTC that I didn't post since it seemed redundant, but here are the important bits:

I asked if it's possible that Rogers put a lock on the AWS WCDMA band through firmware.
These questions are more difficult for me to provide a clear answer for. While it is possible for the carrier to restrict use on certain bands in an unlocked device, I have not seen this happen with Rogers and our HTC devices to date. This doesn't mean that this phone isn't the exception to the rule. While I can't make you any promises, if I were a gambler I would say that you will have access to the band if you unlock this model of the HTC One X phone.

So it seems the HTC One X(L) is the exception to the rule. Maybe if we can get some more members to pressure Rogers/HTC for the specification discrepancy, there may be a resolution (OTA radio update or something).

~dan

Reactions: sosquidtaste

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Try this (needs root). You will have to verify the modem is /dev/smd0 (may be specified in /system/build.prop under ro.ril.something) and download the platform SDK for the adb command.
adb shell
su
stop ril-daemon
cat /dev/smd0 &

echo -e "AT\r" > /dev/smd0
(you should see OK or similar)
echo -e "AT+COPS=0\r" > /dev/smd0
(should be OK, sets network selection mode)
echo -e "AT+COPS=?\r" > /dev/smd0
(you should see all available networks)

That will tell us if the baseband sees WIND/Mobilicity.

Reboot after or do:
start ril-daemon

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Calling should work on it right? except data?

Voice should work, as well as 2G/EDGE. Its the UMTS 3G/"4G" that is being questioned. It seems that the Rogers One X may have the hardware to be compatible with the AWS band that WIND (and US T-Mobile) for 3G/4G data, but it may not be enabled in firmware. So for now, no 3G/4G data, but maybe in the future.

htc fan89

Jun 12, 2009
Ottawa,Vaudreuil-Dorion and NYC
Voice should work, as well as 2G/EDGE. Its the UMTS 3G/"4G" that is being questioned. It seems that the Rogers One X may have the hardware to be compatible with the AWS band that WIND (and US T-Mobile) for 3G/4G data, but it may not be enabled in firmware. So for now, no 3G/4G data, but maybe in the future.

So, I wouldn't be roaming when calling? I really don't care about data, it's slow as **** anyway...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know the phone comes locked from Rogers, but I was wondering if anyone has used an online unlocking service, trimmed a SIM into a microsim, and tested that the Rogers version does in fact work on WIND.

I will be doing this shortly, so check back for updates!

April 25, 2012 Part 2
    I got the SIM from my friend and marked it up.
    WLVLc.jpg

MOYIN.jpg

I cut the SIM down to microsim size.
    59X6p.jpg

Booted up my phone, entered the unlock code from cellunlocker.
    eT7zJ.jpg

And got no signal ):

This SIM is (was) working in an HTC Incredible S (international version that supports AWS) immediately before I trimmed it. The trim was successful since the SIM had a PIN lock and unlocking it was successful. I could also see the contacts stored on the SIM.

I went into testing mode to play with the radio settings.
    q2gZM.png

YHDov.png

And still get 'No Signal' and 'Emergency Only'.

I've notified HTC again about this and I'll let you know what they advise.

Also, if anyone wants to help me recover the cost of a new WIND SIM ($25), I'd greatly appreciate it, although it's highly unnecessary :)

April 25, 2012

It should not be a problem for you to use an unlocked version of this device with the Canadian carrier of your choice, if you so choose. To ensure that the tech specs on our support site were accurate, I conferred with our escalations team. You can be confident that it does indeed support the bands as indicated.

As for why these specs differ on the Rogers support page, I cannot say. Originally the specs were posted there the same as the official HTC support page. I have brought this to the attention of the appropriate department internally on your behalf. They will look into contacting Rogers to see about having the data corrected on their site to avoid any further confusion to our HTC customers.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to reply Daniel. We are open from 6am to 1am eastern time, 7 days a week.

~dan

~dan
    The radio.img is a FAT16 image with a bunch of files it in. Lots of files are similar to the one used in the Skyrocket/Note mods for AWS. These match in terms of filename:

Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 308 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B00
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6600 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B01
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22366864 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B02
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5073185 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B03
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1329432 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B04
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70904 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B06
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 624120 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B07
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 664 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.MDT
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B00
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B01
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 75776 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B02
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3008 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B03
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2895648 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B04
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 758696 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B05
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 688492 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B06
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49152 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B07
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 560 Dec 31 1979 Q6.MDT

Others match in terms of file content quite a bit.

Someone can try replacing these files above with the Skyrocket AWS radio files and trying flashing the new radio.img only.

I don't have a One X, but I assume you can run:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    after you modify it.

After this, do the following to do a network scan (a RIL update may be required, but this avoids it by talking to the modem direclty):

Code:
    su
    stop ril-daemon
    cat /dev/smd0 &
    echo -e "AT+COPS=?\r" > /dev/smd0

The last one will take really long to complete (minutes?). Once done, you should see something like:
    Code:
    +COPS: 
    (2,"ROGERS","","302720",2),

If the above has WIND (302490)/T-Mobile (310260 not 31026) then you have AWS support.

All the above requires root and S-OFF I believe.
    Got a reply from hTc :)

Dear ,

I see that you have questions regarding the HTC One X. I will be happy to answer those for you.

Although we cannot guarantee unlocking the One X to run on any carrier other than ATT will work, it seems as if you will be able to connect to the Edge network, make calls, and text. You will not receive LTE, 4G or even 3G speeds.

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to assist you.

I hope this information helps you, Mohamed. Have a great week!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

William

HTC
    If you'd like to PM me when you're done, I'd like to write about it for the XDA Portal :)

Try to be as informative as possible lol, so I can better describe to others what you're doing