[MOD][CM10] Enable On Screen Nav Soft Keys/Disable Capacitive/Home Buttons

Search This thread

NemesisRE

Feb 6, 2009
Karlsruhe
nrecom.net
Just to amend my previous statement about not being able to take screenshots, looks like the functionality is now bound to volume down + power, as it is on the galaxy nexus. This makes sense since s3 has the physical home button whereas the gnex doesnt.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Is it possible for this mod to break the button combinations to get into recovery and download mode? I tried the following things:

vol up + power (used to boot into recovery)
vol down + power (used to boot into download mode)

both just boot straight into android now. Is adb my only option?

Try the right combinations ;) Vol + home + Power

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

613BulletProof

Feb 3, 2009
Nvm got it worked out, Just wiped cache / dalvik wipe + reflash rom, everything went back to normal without having to lose anything or reinstall all my apps.

It'd be nice if there was a transparent version of this. and maybe a tad smaller.

NemesisRE

Feb 6, 2009
Karlsruhe
nrecom.net
Nvm got it worked out, Just wiped cache / dalvik wipe + reflash rom, everything went back to normal without having to lose anything or reinstall all my apps.

It'd be nice if there was a transparent version of this. and maybe a tad smaller.

This is a universal package. for every modification there must be its own package for each device and rom...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

vince.liu

May 13, 2012
Foshan
great job!
I use the HomeWake and its work.
But one question, can i change the function of the menu button that i really want it works like the hardware menu keys.
Thank you.

rsmex

Jun 30, 2010
Hi all is there a way to make the wallpaper show in the background of the nav bar thanks for any help

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

msgnyc

Mar 13, 2006
Tri-State
Also like to note that the screenshot function (pressing home and power) doesnt work anymore, either with the hardware key nor the on screen softkey.

Isnt the screenshot function mapped to Vol Down + Power o_O?

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

nvm, I see that someone already corrected you, but its not letting me modify my previous post for some reason. "invalid id"?

rsmex

Jun 30, 2010
Hi has anyone got the nav bar setup where the recents key is changed to power that I could grab a zip of thanks for any help

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

naddie

Jun 19, 2010
Chicago
www.guytechie.com
Just to amend my previous statement about not being able to take screenshots, looks like the functionality is now bound to volume down + power, as it is on the galaxy nexus. This makes sense since s3 has the physical home button whereas the gnex doesnt.

What ROM are you using? I was under the assumption that the screenshot key combo is dictated by the ROM. So if I am using TW, it would be Home+Power. If I was using an AOSP ROM (CM10, CM9, etc), it would be Vol Down + Power.

Does this mod remaps the screenshot key combo to Vol Down + Power on a TW-based ROM? Or does it remain Home + Power, and it will still work despite being disabled for everything else?

D

Deleted member 3358925

is there any way to add the seach key to this?

AFAIK no. Because this mod just tells Android that the device doesn't have any hardware keys, forcing it to enable the software keys.
Anyway, what you can do is map the "menu" button (key 172) to the SEARCH functionality.

labbe-

Jun 4, 2012
Turku
What ROM are you using? I was under the assumption that the screenshot key combo is dictated by the ROM. So if I am using TW, it would be Home+Power. If I was using an AOSP ROM (CM10, CM9, etc), it would be Vol Down + Power.

Does this mod remaps the screenshot key combo to Vol Down + Power on a TW-based ROM? Or does it remain Home + Power, and it will still work despite being disabled for everything else?

it doesn't remap any keycombos, only disables the hardware keys depending which version you are using.. i guess the software home + power works the same way as hardware home + power on a sammyrom but havent tested this

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010

I am running stock touchwiz on the VZW s3. I confirmed that once i flashed the mod, screenshots were taken with vol down + power, whereas on stock touchwiz it is physical home + power.

labbe-

Jun 4, 2012
Turku
I am running stock touchwiz on the VZW s3. I confirmed that once i flashed the mod, screenshots were taken with vol down + power, whereas on stock touchwiz it is physical home + power.

good to know.. doesnt seem much of a sacrifice if you get around the dialer and the camera problems

Sent from my GT-I9300

Lex_407

Mar 1, 2011
Orlando
www.twitter.com
I'm loving this mod. Any chance of getting different icon setups? There was a Nexus forum that has a bunch, just wondering if there will different icons coming soon. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

NemesisRE

Feb 6, 2009
Karlsruhe
nrecom.net
I'm loving this mod. Any chance of getting different icon setups? There was a Nexus forum that has a bunch, just wondering if there will different icons coming soon. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Sorry not for the universal version cause therefor you need to change the frame-res.apk for every single rom and that is not universal :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Mod I did for CM10
    It will enable the on screen navigation soft keys. it will also disable the capacitive buttons AND the home button.

I used the Framework-res.apk from the CM 10 Preview 6 build.

This will NOT disable the capacitive lights, just the keys themselves. To disable the lights go to settings -> Advanced -> Screen and uncheck "Backlight"

Why did I do this mod?
    Well, I really liked the on screen nav buttons on the GNEX. At the time I had the Galaxy S II and enabled them with AOKP but as much as I liked them I hated losing the screen real estate on the 4.3 inch screen. When I got the GS3 I felt the screen was big enough to give up a little screen RE for the nav buttons. I also did it because when I play games or hold my phone in landscape I would accidently hit the capacitive buttons so this mod also eliminated that for me

EDIT: Member NemesisRE Has posted a way to universally do this on CM 10 and other roms! Taking this mod a step further and making it easy on me so I wouldnt have to do the mod every time the CM 10 FW changed:

From NemesisRE's post(http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29677762&postcount=98)

Based upon the work of graffixnyc and labbe- I made a Script that searches for the entries and changes them. All other entries (if there are others) are not affected!
    Script doesn´t need BusyBox binary so its a very small Package. No Framework-res.apk is added so it should be universal.
    Please make a Backup before you try this! And report if working!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NAV_Only: none of the hardware keys are enabled (except Volume and Power)
    NAV_HomeWake: Home button wakes device but has no other function
    NAV_HomeCamera: Home button opens Camera and takes Pictures but has no other function
    NAV_StockKeys: Functions as normal but with on Screen Navbar
    NAV_Remove: Removes the mod

Install Instructions:
    - Boot into recovery
    - flash with CWM
    - reboot

This should work on any device with the same keybindings:

Code:

Code:
    key 172	HOME
    key 158	BACK
    key 139	MENU

In the this files:
    Code:

Code:
    /system/usr/keylayout/sec_touchkey.kl
    /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl

Code:

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Mod
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */
    Cheers
    Steven
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for your device. Use at own risk. If your device gets bricked its not my fault or responsibility

NEW: Universal DL links are here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29677762&postcount=98

instructions:
    Boot into recovery, flash, reboot
    Installing this caused my APNs to disappear and unable to create new ones.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Well I sneezed today and I noticed a dent in my car - but I hardly think the two are related. Maybe you should provide more information as to what you did and what you're running - because this has absolutely NOTHING to do with your issue.