ROM suggestions for a simple user

Search This thread

Aashrey99

May 26, 2011
Hyderabad
Hey guys,

My dad has been using my RAZR running 4.1.2 for a year now and I plan to move it to a KitKat based ROM. I've haven't visited these forums in a while so I'm really out of touch with the ROM scene.

I need help in choosing a simple Kitkat ROM (preferably no pie/halo and no extensive customization). Stability is of paramount importance.

Any suggestions will be extremely helpful. Kudos!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Slimkat. I have been following this ROM since its creation. This last build, 5.2 is seriously flawless, not just saying that because it is my favorite. I have tried other KK Roms for the XT912 on VZW and they all seem to have some kind of issue. APN issues, system UI crashes, random restarts, freezes forcing me to reboot, high battery drain, wakelock issues. The 5.2 SK, with the latest Slim GAPPS seems stable enough so far to flash to my stock slot... still waiting to pull that trigger though. I have been running this setup for about two weeks now since I got my insurance replacement and it has been great! I have not had any crashes, freezes, or lockups. Everything works flawlessly (Wifi, bluetooth, MMS, etc)

It does not have a lot of in depth extras like pie, halo, or cpu control. You can install those later if you want. I have trickster mod installed as a CPU governor, but the stock kernel and settings are just fine too. It does have all the necessary KK features and other extras I like. Full dark, quick tiles and customization, lots of shortcuts, status bar customizations, privacy guard settings for apps, and most of all great battery life. I consistently get a good 20 hours on a charge with fairly heavy usage with voice calls, and streaming siriusXM app, or play music.

Total time from rooting, flashing the newest SS (which allows for bigger partitions now!!!), D-loading and flashing SK rom and Gapps, then restoring apps/data from TI backup all took about an hour or so with absolutely no problems. This ROM is sure to bring new life into the not so outdated RAZR.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

darko1515

Apr 17, 2010
I just flashed the 5.2 SK, I also have on my xt910maxx LS and RR. it is a simple rom, without so many extra features. I will give it a go to see the stability and battery life. just one question: from were can I download omniswich and active display?

Aashrey99

May 26, 2011
Hyderabad
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Slimkat. I have been following this ROM since its creation. This last build, 5.2 is seriously flawless, not just saying that because it is my favorite. I have tried other KK Roms for the XT912 on VZW and they all seem to have some kind of issue. APN issues, system UI crashes, random restarts, freezes forcing me to reboot, high battery drain, wakelock issues. The 5.2 SK, with the latest Slim GAPPS seems stable enough so far to flash to my stock slot... still waiting to pull that trigger though. I have been running this setup for about two weeks now since I got my insurance replacement and it has been great! I have not had any crashes, freezes, or lockups. Everything works flawlessly (Wifi, bluetooth, MMS, etc)

It does not have a lot of in depth extras like pie, halo, or cpu control. You can install those later if you want. I have trickster mod installed as a CPU governor, but the stock kernel and settings are just fine too. It does have all the necessary KK features and other extras I like. Full dark, quick tiles and customization, lots of shortcuts, status bar customizations, privacy guard settings for apps, and most of all great battery life. I consistently get a good 20 hours on a charge with fairly heavy usage with voice calls, and streaming siriusXM app, or play music.

Total time from rooting, flashing the newest SS (which allows for bigger partitions now!!!), D-loading and flashing SK rom and Gapps, then restoring apps/data from TI backup all took about an hour or so with absolutely no problems. This ROM is sure to bring new life into the not so outdated RAZR.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime I've crossed off LiquidSmooth and Resurrection Remix off my list. Way too many features. I'll be trying PA, CM11 M6 and Slimkat next.

EDIT: The RAZR is on SlimKat. I'm impressed. Waiting for dad's response! :)

Last edited:

darko1515

Apr 17, 2010
i found am alternativ for activdisplay-acdisplay. Amyone has an alternativ for omnyswich? Or domething similar to accrs favorite apps from any window?

Sent from my XT910 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xxxmoscoxxx

Jun 29, 2012
I flashed slimkat on a friend's razr, and he is very happy with kitkat!

Simple, fast and stable.

However CM is always a good choice

hrishi21007

Aug 7, 2012
MUMBAI
www.youtube.com
If you just want the Pure Stock Experience ..which has not many customizations ...i think you can go for CM11
all other ROMS have Pie Halo and other extensive customizations!!

Best Regards!
Hrishi21007

darko1515

Apr 17, 2010
Which build of CM is the most stabile one?

Steven87

Jul 2, 2012
Corrientes
Try paranoid Android has solid features and ver simple ones too like hover and peek, latest build is smooth and rock solid

cigator

Mar 18, 2014
I'm far from experienced, but I have tried Slim, CM and Axxion. The Axxion is by far the most stable Rom I have used.

theErock

Oct 12, 2013
Covina
Eclipse is a pretty smooth aosp 4.3

<font color="red"><i>Sent from XT912
[AOSP/4.3] [ROM] Eclipse v5.1 build 6 spyder</font></I>

morr22066

Feb 19, 2011
Texas
Paranoid android & cyanogenmod

Try paranoid Android has solid features and ver simple ones too like hover and peek, latest build is smooth and rock solid

I would also recommend paranoid android rc2 as being the most streamlined solid rom as well as cyanogenmod 11 the m7 build is pretty stable though I am using the most recent nightly build which is also running well. Both are now really stable and reliable.

Reactions: Steven87

freeharrison

Jun 9, 2011
slimkat 5

I just flashed the 5.2 SK, I also have on my xt910maxx LS and RR. it is a simple rom, without so many extra features. I will give it a go to see the stability and battery life. just one question: from were can I download omniswich and active display?

Which of the version you use cus there isn't any for xt910

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Paranoid android & cyanogenmod

I would also recommend paranoid android rc2 as being the most streamlined solid rom as well as cyanogenmod 11 the m7 build is pretty stable though I am using the most recent nightly build which is also running well. Both are now really stable and reliable.