[APP] TGShutdown - Shutdown timer for WM

Search This thread
Sep 18, 2010
Valencia, Spain
Hello everyone!

I like to fall asleep while hearing my favourite radio program on saturday nights (one of those about terror stories and paranormal stuff :p), but usually I go very late to bed, so the program has finished already :(

So someday I decided begin to use podcasts, this way I can download the last broadcast and hear it. No problem with other phones but... when I tried this with my new HD2 and seen the battery consumption the next day... :eek::eek::eek:

At least in my case, battery consumption was terrible even in flight mode and with the podcast has finished and player has stopped, so I decided to find "something" to power off my phone when I fall asleep

I've been looking for a simple application that starts a countdown and finally shutdowns the device (similar to many others for PC), but only found big apps with complete scheduling for lot of things that I don't need (turn off and on phone, WIFI, 3G... but with a specific date and time in the calendar without possibility to set a timer to begin "right now"), or apps that do a simple shutdown but without previous timer. Doing my search I noticed that many people was looking for this same application.

Finally I decided to do it myself, and here is the result, a tiny application that does what I need. I've only tested in my HTC HD2, but it's supposed to work in all WM6.5 devices with framework3.5 installed.

Simply, set a countdown in minutes and press the START/STOP button. You can freeze the countdown at any time using this same button. Once the countdown has started, you can open other applications in your phone (MP3 player, podcast...). Notice that you have to do this without closing the TGShutdown application. If you try to close TGShutdown, a message will warn you that, if you close TGShutdown, countdown will be aborted. Turn off the screen, get into the bed and enjoy your music... when the countdown reaches zero, the device will shutdown. Sweet dreams!

Any suggestions or requests will be welcome.

Regards! (and sorry about my english :D)

UPDATED to version 1.1

* Fixed some issues

Attachments

• TGShutdown11.CAB
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,159
  • TGShutdown11.jpg
    TGShutdown11.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2010
Valencia, Spain
Oh! I didn't knew about it :eek: At least, doing my own application made me to find the one I was looking for :p

I will compare battery consumption of both and I will use the most efficient :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot!

Picolog

Nov 28, 2009
Thanks , it is a nice application.
Please could you implement a function in order to turn on the device based on time a date as per shutdown?
Thank you

encounter

Apr 29, 2007
Potenza,Italy
Rom LEON-BK v2.0 RADIO ROM v2.15
I do not ... there is no calendar page with a white rectangle in which to place the minutes ... further down, start / stop ... but it works. ... I tried setting a minute .... and he died

a me non c’é nessun calendario…pagina bianca con un rettangolino in cui inserire i minuti…più in basso, start/stop…però funziona….ho provato impostando un minuto….e si é spento

Sep 18, 2010
Valencia, Spain
Hello everyone!

I've just uploaded a new build of my application after some friend told me about some issues.

After doing a small test in order to compare the battery consumption for Psshutxp and TGShutdown, these are the results:

Tested in HTC HD2, flight mode, for 15 minutes each app, with Psshutxp or TGShutdown running alone (I mean, no other running application like MP3 playing or podcasts).

*** TGSHUTDOWN, consumed more than 0% but less than 1% (from 75% to 75%)
*** PSSHUTXP, consumed more than 2% but less than 3% (from 75% to 72%)

Obviously, visually, I like PSSHUTXP much more (mine it's only a textbox and a button), but the choice depends on the user priorities and needs. PSHUTXP has a beautiful look, mine has a very simple one in a flat window. But it seems, at least in an HTC HD2 and in a test of 15 minutes, than PSSHUTXP consumes more power.

I addition, I must say that psshutxp doesn't works for me :confused: I do not know if anybody has noticed the same problem: if your device enters in standby mode (in HTC HD2 is usually 3 minutes after you power off the screen but it depends on your personal configuration), psshutxp freezes the countdown and shutdown is never reached. For example, if media player it's continuosly playing, the device never enters in stand by mode so psshutxp works fine, but if you have a podcast or any song or stream with a specific lenght, once player stops, device will enter standby mode after 3 minutes and if psshutxp hasn't reached the final countdown, shutdown will never work. It's only a problem of me or it happens the same for everyone?

I will try to do a better and more realistic test next time (running applications for an hour and with MP3 player running).

In response to encounter and other users, I too have seen an image of a calendar when showing my application in some sites, but that's not an actual image of my app, so I have attached an image of TGShutdown togheter with the CAB in this same post.

I'm not thinking about adding any calendar to my app and no 'power on' function, as this app was designed only for a simple purpose: power off the device in order to save battery when we usually go to bed and like to hear some music/podcast/radio before sleep :D so, the simple the application is, the much less battery will eat.

Thanks a lot everyone, for all your interest! :cool:

Sergio.

hidnface

Oct 11, 2008
Nice app.

What if I want TGShutdown to start automatically everyday at a given period of time, let's say everyday at 11.00p.m?

Is this possible?

You understand that I wish your app to automatically turnoff my HD2 everyday without manually starting the timer :rolleyes:

Thanks