[ROM] Alien ★ Build #6 ★ 3/2

Search This thread

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
15i82.png
yEYxd.png
Alien ROM provides a concocted stew of TouchWiz, and Gingerbread for your Galaxy S II Skyrocket. Samsung's TouchWiz functionality stays intact, but the Alien theme brings a slight hint of traditional Gingerbread to the party. There are very few theme changes with this ROM.
Official Beta Tester signature:
HTML:
[CENTER][URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1376482"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bfP86.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
3CUBm.png
Code:
- Based on AT&T UCKK1 2.3.6
- Fugu Tweaks modified
- Updated Juwe11 optimizations
- wpa_supplicant with support for Ad-Hoc networks
- Zipaligned
- PNG Optimized
- Deodexed
- Rooted
- Carrier IQ disabled
- CRT animation enabled
- Limited NFC support enabled
- 5 icon dock enabled (4 + the app menu)
- 5 column app drawer
- Roboto FlipFont
- Customizable 14 toggle quick panel added
- Build.prop optimizations for speed, power savings
- Init.d scripts for compatible kernels (loopy smoothness, memkiller, zipalign on boot)
- Stock-ish kernel with custom ramdisk and BLN (disables ro.secure)
- Boot animation support!
- Reboot, Recovery, Download added to Power Options
- Tethering enabled / entitlement check gone
- SIP over WiFi and 3G
- Updated applications
- Some GApps moved to /data for more flexible management
- Latest Superuser application and binary
- Bloatware removed
- Removal of HSPA+ upload limits
- Additional Samsung applications made removable
- Mms.apk mods: increased MMS text threshold, increased recipient limit
- Email.apk mod: removed security policy restrictions
- Removed “full battery” notification, vibration, sound, and screen wake.
- Enabled network mode selection
- Enabled "Stay awake" option
- Added Internet call settings
- Compressed status bar for maximum functionality
- Transparent lock-screen default, changeable in Settings > Display > Screen display
- Colored icons removed from Settings application
- De-themed menus and popups
- sysro/sysrw added
- sqlite3 binary added
- so much more I can't remember!
oSAbh.png

1) wipe data
2) wipe cache
3) wipe dalvik cache
4) wipe battery stats
5) install from SD card

Update from Alien 5.5 (no wipes required)

See the changelog in post #3 for important information.

Please visit BriefMobile for your mobile phone news, rumors, and reviews. Support KennethPenn and all the great work he brings to the Android and mobile phone communities.
8L4aY.png

kennethpenn
Original author - BriefMobile
Fenrir/Ririal
Build.prop fixes
Juwe11
RAM optimizations
nikademus
FuguTweaks
bruceleedragon1
wpa_supplicant
4MbRg.png

• It's not working when I install! I'm receiving force closes, sitting at bootloops, etc.
    Make sure you're installing the ROM correctly. Remember that kernels, MODs, radios, and carriers can mess with your phone's performance and workability.
  • I'm not on AT&T and this ROM is completely broken!
    This ROM is not necessarily designed for international compatibility. Please wait for future updates or attempt an install with a proper international kernel.
  • Why is my device running/booting slowly?
    Your first boot will take an unimaginably long time. After that, your device will continue to run slowly until the application cache is built up. Don't worry, the speed will increase as you use the ROM!
  • Why is my battery life bad?
    Your battery life is often killed when flashing ROMs in CWM. For the best battery life, you must drain your device’s battery until it turns off. Plug the device into the AC adapter and let it charge until the image says 100% charged. Then turn it on and use the volume buttons to boot into CWM. Click Wipe Battery Stats under the advanced menu. Then you should charge to 100% and install the ROM. Battery life should be comparable to (if not better than) every other ROM.
  • Where's my bloatware?
    Alien deletes unnecessary bloatware that can be replaced by better applications in the Android Market. If you'd like the bloatware back, you can download the "bloatware.zip" from here.
  • Why isn't there a battery mod?
    You can cook your own battery mod using the UOT kitchen. If you'd like the one I use, you can grab it here.
  • I thought Alien ROM was by KennethPenn, what the...?
    Unfortunately, Kenneth is currently not able to continue development of Alien ROM for the SGSII SR without a phone to develop on. This is an authorized continuation of his work. Please show your support for his work by visiting BriefMobile.

Attachments

• 4x4TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
    848.9 KB · Views: 448
  • PDroid-v1.32-Alien-6.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 210
  • PDroid-RESTORE-Alien-6.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
Changelog:

Alien #6
  • Reverted brightness changes.
  • Added "Internet call settings" for SIP settings in Phone options.
  • Added "Network mode selection" (will not stick across reboots with AT&T modems but will stick for the current session).
  • Added "Stay Awake" development options (will not stick across reboots).
Alien #5.5 (full wipe required due to NFC and BT fixes)
  • Fixed NFC FC. Breaks Google Wallet, but that didn't really work anyway.
  • Hopefully fixed Bluetooth.
  • Added Roboto FlipFont (Settings -> Display -> Screen display -> Font style)
  • General file cleanup.
  • No change to frameworks, so the PDroid links in first post and any battery mods you've already cooked will still work fine.
Alien #5 (full wipe recommended if you use NFC)
  • No more Carrier IQ! It is still technically embedded in framework, but it is completely disabled. This allows MMS to work fine! After the first boot, you should wait about 10 minutes and then reboot. You can then verify there is no iqd process or Agent running. See known issues below if it somehow re-enables.
  • All system APKs have been re-packed. This solves a problem that occurred with Alien #4 and the "Android System" using more battery than intended. For the nerds, it was constantly running a garbage collection process for ~1 hour after a reboot.
  • Updated to use my stock kernel. This allows you to use BLN by simply installing the app from the Market. If you have no desire to use BLN, that's fine - no extra battery, etc is used by default.
  • Bluetooth fixes for HID devices (may fix other issues too).
  • NFC APK was resigned. This allows you to install the Google Wallet attachment in the first post. Unfortunately, our phone does not have a SecureElement so its unusable. But I have made this change in case some people have SIM cards with SecureElements in them (this is how ISIS will work).
  • Other minor changes and tweaks based on feedback in this thread.
Known issues:

• Flash player seems finicky when installing the ROM. Uninstalling and re-installing through the Market seems to fix it.
  • Changing the Wi-Fi sleep policy increases battery drain. This is common across many phones and ROMs.
  • If choosing power off from the Power menu just reboots the phone, you have the first version of Alien #4. Apply the update zip from here in CWM or update to Alien #5+.
  • If Carrier IQ is re-enabled, simply reboot the phone which will trigger the NoCIQ script again. Wait roughly 5 minutes and reboot once more and Carrier IQ should be gone again. I've never personally seen Carrier IQ be re-enabled, but it is theoretically possible for AT&T to do.
  • If you are having FC bombardment issues after a reboot and you have ever installed Alien #3, then you will need to use stock recovery (3e) to factory reset, reinstall CWM and finally flash Alien #4 or newer. Wiping data in CWM, factory reset in Settings -> Privacy, etc will NOT work!
Miscellaneous:

• If you want to enable "Preferred install location" in Settings -> Applications, run the following through an ADB shell and reboot:
    Code:
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update system set value="1" where name="set_install_location";'

Last edited:

XAviierG

Mar 11, 2011
Sweet will try this. Thank you

Sent from my SGH-I727 using xda premium

theli0ntamer

Nov 5, 2008
Nice! I've been waiting since last night to flash this Rom...

Is the mass FC's at reboot issue fixed??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

superfire71

Mar 25, 2011
NYC
Oh thank god romracer (sry for confusion! ) , thanks for the update. The dev work makes these phones so much better!

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Last edited:

jamesd1

Dec 3, 2010
VERY NICE but i found one flaw the shutdown toggle and the shutdown through the power button restarts the phone

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
Nice! I've been waiting since last night to flash this Rom...

Is the mass FC's at reboot issue fixed??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

I think so. I was able to reproduce them on build 3. They occur because /data was read-only due to filesystem errors. I've changed the install script in an attempt to fix the problem. You may have to wipe data once using stock recovery if you are currently experiencing the problem, but I'm hopeful it won't recur anymore after that.

theli0ntamer

Nov 5, 2008
I think so. I was able to reproduce them on build 3. They occur because /data was read-only due to filesystem errors. I've changed the install script in an attempt to fix the problem. You may have to wipe data once using stock recovery if you are currently experiencing the problem, but I'm hopeful it won't recur anymore after that.

just to make sure that i understand, when i flash the rom, after the first initial boot, i would have to wipe data using stock recovery by settings->privacy->factory reset. ?

tacotino

Mar 21, 2011
RomRacer thanks for being a bad-A!!!!!

lol i'm glad you and kenn helping us out in our time of need!!! hahah

i had and Atrix and both of you guys are amazing dev. keep up the good work, will flash when i get home

M

mspaulding06

Sweet rom! Keep up the good work! Running great for me, and i love the gingerbread look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
VERY NICE but i found one flaw the shutdown toggle and the shutdown through the power button restarts the phone

Thanks, I'm looking into this. I noticed it on my phone, but I have a custom kernel (soon to be published as well) and thought maybe it was my kernel. Are you using the kernel that came with the ROM (which is stock but a custom ramdisk)?

dac1227

Feb 1, 2011
CINCINNATI
Thanks for getting this to #4!

I'm getting the FC bombardment on restarting the device for the first time after initial successful boot.

prior to #4 installation while running #3, I wiped data from OS privacy menu, then flashed #4 from CWM. FC bombardment on restarting the device for the first time after repeat #4 installation.

Going to stock recovery now to wipe data, then I'll try again! I wasn't sure if you expected the same FC problems or not on this version, so I thought I'd report!;)

*update*: in stock recovery factory reset.
Alien #4 booted w/o issue, restarted twice. Headed back to Odin for some more CWM.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    15i82.png
    yEYxd.png
    Alien ROM provides a concocted stew of TouchWiz, and Gingerbread for your Galaxy S II Skyrocket. Samsung's TouchWiz functionality stays intact, but the Alien theme brings a slight hint of traditional Gingerbread to the party. There are very few theme changes with this ROM.
    Official Beta Tester signature:
    HTML:
    [CENTER][URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1376482"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bfP86.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    3CUBm.png
    Code:
    - Based on AT&T UCKK1 2.3.6
    - Fugu Tweaks modified
    - Updated Juwe11 optimizations
    - wpa_supplicant with support for Ad-Hoc networks
    - Zipaligned
    - PNG Optimized
    - Deodexed
    - Rooted
    - Carrier IQ disabled
    - CRT animation enabled
    - Limited NFC support enabled
    - 5 icon dock enabled (4 + the app menu)
    - 5 column app drawer
    - Roboto FlipFont
    - Customizable 14 toggle quick panel added
    - Build.prop optimizations for speed, power savings
    - Init.d scripts for compatible kernels (loopy smoothness, memkiller, zipalign on boot)
    - Stock-ish kernel with custom ramdisk and BLN (disables ro.secure)
    - Boot animation support!
    - Reboot, Recovery, Download added to Power Options
    - Tethering enabled / entitlement check gone
    - SIP over WiFi and 3G
    - Updated applications
    - Some GApps moved to /data for more flexible management
    - Latest Superuser application and binary
    - Bloatware removed
    - Removal of HSPA+ upload limits
    - Additional Samsung applications made removable
    - Mms.apk mods: increased MMS text threshold, increased recipient limit
    - Email.apk mod: removed security policy restrictions
    - Removed “full battery” notification, vibration, sound, and screen wake.
    - Enabled network mode selection
    - Enabled "Stay awake" option
    - Added Internet call settings
    - Compressed status bar for maximum functionality
    - Transparent lock-screen default, changeable in Settings > Display > Screen display
    - Colored icons removed from Settings application
    - De-themed menus and popups
    - sysro/sysrw added
    - sqlite3 binary added
    - so much more I can't remember!
    oSAbh.png

1) wipe data
    2) wipe cache
    3) wipe dalvik cache
    4) wipe battery stats
    5) install from SD card

Update from Alien 5.5 (no wipes required)

See the changelog in post #3 for important information.

Please visit BriefMobile for your mobile phone news, rumors, and reviews. Support KennethPenn and all the great work he brings to the Android and mobile phone communities.
    8L4aY.png

kennethpenn
    Original author - BriefMobile
    Fenrir/Ririal
    Build.prop fixes
    Juwe11
    RAM optimizations
    nikademus
    FuguTweaks
    bruceleedragon1
    wpa_supplicant
    4MbRg.png

• It's not working when I install! I'm receiving force closes, sitting at bootloops, etc.
      Make sure you're installing the ROM correctly. Remember that kernels, MODs, radios, and carriers can mess with your phone's performance and workability.
    • I'm not on AT&T and this ROM is completely broken!
      This ROM is not necessarily designed for international compatibility. Please wait for future updates or attempt an install with a proper international kernel.
    • Why is my device running/booting slowly?
      Your first boot will take an unimaginably long time. After that, your device will continue to run slowly until the application cache is built up. Don't worry, the speed will increase as you use the ROM!
    • Why is my battery life bad?
      Your battery life is often killed when flashing ROMs in CWM. For the best battery life, you must drain your device’s battery until it turns off. Plug the device into the AC adapter and let it charge until the image says 100% charged. Then turn it on and use the volume buttons to boot into CWM. Click Wipe Battery Stats under the advanced menu. Then you should charge to 100% and install the ROM. Battery life should be comparable to (if not better than) every other ROM.
    • Where's my bloatware?
      Alien deletes unnecessary bloatware that can be replaced by better applications in the Android Market. If you'd like the bloatware back, you can download the "bloatware.zip" from here.
    • Why isn't there a battery mod?
      You can cook your own battery mod using the UOT kitchen. If you'd like the one I use, you can grab it here.
    • I thought Alien ROM was by KennethPenn, what the...?
      Unfortunately, Kenneth is currently not able to continue development of Alien ROM for the SGSII SR without a phone to develop on. This is an authorized continuation of his work. Please show your support for his work by visiting BriefMobile.
    Hello romracer.

Can you had in the next version the roboto font?

Build #5.5 posted. It includes the Roboto FlipFont. I'd recommend a reboot after applying it because the status bar can look sort of weird (clock in particular). Should be fine after that.

This should also fix the NFC force closes reported but will break Google Wallet - not that it really worked anyway without a SecureElement.

This should also hopefully fix Bluetooth. I don't have a lot of Bluetooth devices to test with, but I don't see the phantom 00:00:00... item to pair with and the things I do pair with seem to work okay.
    Any chance of you posting alien 6 for those of us that don't mind having to wipe?

Alien 6 is up. No wipe option available for those on Alien 5.5 only. All others should perform the full install. See post #3 for changes.
    Changelog:

Alien #6
    • Reverted brightness changes.
    • Added "Internet call settings" for SIP settings in Phone options.
    • Added "Network mode selection" (will not stick across reboots with AT&T modems but will stick for the current session).
    • Added "Stay Awake" development options (will not stick across reboots).
    Alien #5.5 (full wipe required due to NFC and BT fixes)
    • Fixed NFC FC. Breaks Google Wallet, but that didn't really work anyway.
    • Hopefully fixed Bluetooth.
    • Added Roboto FlipFont (Settings -> Display -> Screen display -> Font style)
    • General file cleanup.
    • No change to frameworks, so the PDroid links in first post and any battery mods you've already cooked will still work fine.
    Alien #5 (full wipe recommended if you use NFC)
    • No more Carrier IQ! It is still technically embedded in framework, but it is completely disabled. This allows MMS to work fine! After the first boot, you should wait about 10 minutes and then reboot. You can then verify there is no iqd process or Agent running. See known issues below if it somehow re-enables.
    • All system APKs have been re-packed. This solves a problem that occurred with Alien #4 and the "Android System" using more battery than intended. For the nerds, it was constantly running a garbage collection process for ~1 hour after a reboot.
    • Updated to use my stock kernel. This allows you to use BLN by simply installing the app from the Market. If you have no desire to use BLN, that's fine - no extra battery, etc is used by default.
    • Bluetooth fixes for HID devices (may fix other issues too).
    • NFC APK was resigned. This allows you to install the Google Wallet attachment in the first post. Unfortunately, our phone does not have a SecureElement so its unusable. But I have made this change in case some people have SIM cards with SecureElements in them (this is how ISIS will work).
    • Other minor changes and tweaks based on feedback in this thread.
    Known issues:

• Flash player seems finicky when installing the ROM. Uninstalling and re-installing through the Market seems to fix it.
    • Changing the Wi-Fi sleep policy increases battery drain. This is common across many phones and ROMs.
    • If choosing power off from the Power menu just reboots the phone, you have the first version of Alien #4. Apply the update zip from here in CWM or update to Alien #5+.
    • If Carrier IQ is re-enabled, simply reboot the phone which will trigger the NoCIQ script again. Wait roughly 5 minutes and reboot once more and Carrier IQ should be gone again. I've never personally seen Carrier IQ be re-enabled, but it is theoretically possible for AT&T to do.
    • If you are having FC bombardment issues after a reboot and you have ever installed Alien #3, then you will need to use stock recovery (3e) to factory reset, reinstall CWM and finally flash Alien #4 or newer. Wiping data in CWM, factory reset in Settings -> Privacy, etc will NOT work!
    Miscellaneous:

• If you want to enable "Preferred install location" in Settings -> Applications, run the following through an ADB shell and reboot:
      Code:
      sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update system set value="1" where name="set_install_location";'