[HOWTO] Flashing OLD/NEW Baseband Using KDZ + Rooting + Installing Custom Recovery

Search This thread

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
Hi I found a similar article on androidforums.com so I thought id make one here as a lot of people still seem to not know how to flash basebands and go from there. Ill start from the beginning.

For those who don't understand what this is about.

Old Baseband = If you have the Stock Froyo (2.2) Android system on your phone then you have the OLD BASEBAND, and you do not need this unless you updated to past 2.2.2 then continue reading if you wish to root your phone the easy way.

New Baseband = If you updated to the Stock Gingerbread (2.3) Android System on your Optimus One, then you fit this category, Lg have implemented a new baseband in this update which makes any Roms based on the old baseband not function, as well as making it more difficult to root your phone

FLASHING OLD BASEBAND

If you're already on official Gingerbread version you will need to downgrade your version to Froyo 2.2.2 using KDZ Updater. This is because the new Gingerbread contains the new baseband, and the Froyo firmware is the old baseband.

To do this please go onto this link that contains kdz and the stock Froyo 2.2.2 Rom required to flash. The reason you need 2.2.2 is its the easiest and proven version to work with Gingerbreak to root your device.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13396506&postcount=1

Notice: If by some ACCIDENTAL reason, your phone gets stuck in EMERGENCY MODE during flashing, follow the instructions on this link how to use KDZs functions to continue flashing the firmware you downloaded in Emergency mode.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1275523

FLASHING NEW BASEBAND

The Kdz File for new baseband is below, use the same method as above only using the v20G .kdz file instead of the 2.2.2 v10E update.
This will update your phone to the official LG 2.3 firmware, in which the new baseband originated.

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP500/ANEUBK/V20g_00/V20G_00.kdz

If then stuck on LG Logo OR boot animation, try pulling and putting in your battery, turning on your phone and holding down volume down and home key, this should reset your phone to factory and then you will be able to boot into the stock gingerbread.

ROOTING

The easiest way to get root privileges on Old Baseband (2.2.2) firmware device is by using Gingerbreak apk. Just download it, install it and run it.
xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=600902&d=1305802958

To get Root access on the New Baseband (2.3.3) use SuperOneClick
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Or direct link to the latest version
xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=778098&d=1320906597

Make sure, after you download the program, you go into your cmd, then go into the ADB folder, drag the ABD exe file into command prompt, delete the .exe part and add devices, so it look like this

OR

Download the ADB.zip attachment on this post, EXTRACT it so cmdXP and cmd7 are located inside the ADB folder in the Superoneclick directory, and run either version, depending on your windows version (This links you directly into ADB app, instead of manually dragging ADB.exe int cmd, really its just for your convinience.)
Then all you have to do is type the following lines.

adb devices
press enter

adb shell
press enter

then type in the following directly after
echo 1 > /data/local/lge_adb.conf
press enter.

Then go into Superoneclick.exe, select auto method and run root, this should then eventually root your device.

***WARNING***

Some Antivirus softwares will detect Superoneclick as a Virus.
IT IS NOT A VIRUS, just the types of exploite code it uses makes some antivirus software think of it as malicious. Just disable your AV for 5 mins before you extract Superoneclick.

RECOVERY

There's two popular custom Recovery versions for O1 - AmonRa and ClockworkMod

The easiest way to flash ClockworkMod Recovery is by downloading ROM Manager app from the Market (free or donate version doesn't matter) and choose to flash the latest recovery version and choose the option to Reboot in Recovery mode.

For Other Recoveries including Amonra there are a few links, but here is the one that has flashable zips

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1523050

Just flash the zip files in Clockworkmod recovery menu, after you install that through Rom Manager if you wish to use a different recovery.

Now that you got the right baseband + your device is rooted and loaded with a custom recovery you may install any Rom you wish that is based on the correct baseband such as

Mik_os 6.5.8 Cyanogenmod port (OLD BASEBAND).
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=946354

[UNOFFICIAL][DEV/GEEKS-ONLY] Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.3)[BETA][NEW BASEBAND]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558213

OFFICIAL CYANOGENMOD Rom [NEW BASEBAND]

http://get.cm/?device=p500

Oxygen ROM 2.3.2 (Android 2.3.7)[NEW BASEBAND]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1325386

Attachments

• ADB.zip
    196.8 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:

Arjen

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 26, 2011
Musselkanaal
Next time, search better ;)

Also posted in wrong thread, this is developmentthread...

Last edited:

fundoozzz

Sep 21, 2011
New Delhi
Don't know how many guides still to come on downgrading baseband.....
People...do search before making a new guide......
MODERATOR...plz look into this thread...

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
Don't know how many guides still to come on downgrading baseband.....
People...do search before making a new guide......
MODERATOR...plz look into this thread...

Guys i did a search and looked into the sticky how to, and the only thing about downgrading baseband is using LGMDP, and kdz is only "mentioned" as a tool for unbricking your phone and flashing old firmware, new users would not know to use kdz.
Also this is a universal guide to root ANY lg optimus one together with having the old baseband, without having to mess around with SDK or LGMDP.

All members have to do now is look at this thread and all their questions are answered hopefully...

Last edited:

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
DIfference betweem this and doks.
This uses Official Lg KDZ updater, which means much less likely to brick your phone and if it does, KDZ is what is used to unbrick it anyway,

This option is much simpler to use for anyone.

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
its not that they are making roms incompatiable, its that they are not designed for those Roms,
So far there has been no reports of any advantage having a new baseband, Lg engineers obviously decided on it for some reason, but the old baseband is more than fine, and in fact i have read several reports that with the new baseband gsm reception got worse in areas that they used to have fine reception, but thats all speculation.

Your best bet is to try for yourself, but if you want to make use of Roms such as miks cyanogen mod or others you have to use the old baseband.
There are other Roms available on the new baseband, so its upto you.

I suggest what rom you would like to install on your phone first, then pick the baseband it requires, as its only a simple flashing of your firmware.
Also note Gingerbreak.apk doesnt root any stock firmware past the 2.2.2 update.

Personally i pick the functionality and advantage of having a custom rom such as cyanogenmod over an update to the baseband

Last edited:

dilwaladoctor

Nov 20, 2010
Midwest
Does this guide work for Optimus T (LG P509) ? I have got one recently and currently using stock 2.2 on it. I don't know the difference between LG p500 and LG P509. I'm coming from T-Mobile G1 on which I'm using CM 7.1. Thanks for guidance.

Sent from my Dream/Sapphire using xda premium

Gremaldin

Aug 20, 2011
This uses Official Lg KDZ updater, which means much less likely to brick your phone and if it does, KDZ is what is used to unbrick it anyway,

KDZ can brick your phone permanently. Dont use KDZ unless there is no other option, and using KDZ just to flash baseband is just dumb since there are better and safer methods. KDZ wipes out everything, so there is a high chance to brick, and it can't be fixed other than by going to the service center. This thread by doktornoktor is safer.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1149530

Thanks anyway for sharing.

Reactions: FetalVivisection

terratrix

Jun 9, 2011
Singapore
KDZ can brick your phone permanently. Dont use KDZ unless there is no other option, and using KDZ just to flash baseband is just dumb since there are better and safer methods. KDZ wipes out everything, so there is a high chance to brick, and it can't be fixed other than by going to the service center. This thread by doktornoktor is safer.

I think KDZ is quite a safe method, rather than the LGMDP incorrectly backing up your NV2 and losing IMEI etc

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011

As you already quoted it, i said that this method is different from Doks.

As for wiping all data completely, so its all brand new and neat, then try to fiddle around with internals and possibly have a bug result from it.

KDZ is what is used to UNBRICK your phone in the first place, so go do some research before posting unnecessary things.

Lastly how about you show some respect and keep your negative and rude comments to yourself, if you dont like this method dont do it, dont abuse people in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

ichigo200

Oct 21, 2008
Manila
tried using gingerbreak to root my device but stuck in rooting and exploit ph0ne does not reboot..

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
tried using gingerbreak to root my device but stuck in rooting and exploit ph0ne does not reboot..

it means your phone is past the firmware update that gingerbreak works on,
as it says in the first post, use kdz and the file in the link to flash your phone to that firmware, and then gingerbreak will work

Gremaldin

Aug 20, 2011
You guys will only learn when you finally end up with a bricked phone. It has happened to several people, including me. I am not a noob, I have used KDZ before and I know very well how to use it. Most of the time, everything goes smoothly. But even if we follow all instructions to the letter, there is a chance of KDZ bricking our phone for good.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus...read-2-3-3-official-firmware.html#post3328455

A warning to anyone tempted to do this. Like the original poster, I also have an LG Optimus T. I am technically savvy (15 years IT experience) and I followed the directions to the letter, but the end result is a bricked, unrecoverable phone. Had I known the risks involved, I would have been perfectly content with Froyo and waited for the official upgrade to arrive.

Here is how mine failed: during the kdz update process, while the phone was on the "Emergency Mode" screen, the kdz updater program threw an exception and crashed. This caused the phone to be permanently locked in emergency mode. The buttons are unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery. With the battery in, it immediately goes to the emergency screen. No combination of button presses (eg, hard reset) does anything. The computer will still see the devices but only if I remove the battery and start the phone up by inserting the USB cable.

I have tried every method for recovery I could find including the following. In each case, I tried it with the modem device listed in device manager both disabled and enabled, as instructed in other recovery threads I found.

Flashing the original .kdz ROM in emergency and cs_emergency modes. When I did, it failed with an exception 4008.
Flashing the original .dz ROM with all of the tools I could find. LGMDP and LGDP2 could see the phone's COM port but beyond that, they could not communicate with the phone in any way. I couldn't even retrieve the IMEI number.
Updating the phone with the LG update software. It actually detects that the phone needs an update and starts to do one but it fails at the point where it tries to communicate with the phone.
Based on other posts I found for the same problem, I believe the phone is completely unrecoverable. I spent over six hours trying to solve the problem and I'm kicking myself for even trying this. I have put in a repair claim with LG and I'm waiting for instructions on how to proceed.

I would not recommend you try this unless you are not worried about destroying your phone. I imagine most installs go without a hitch but if the buggy kdz updater software crashes like it did for me, your phone will likely be bricked permanently.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-on...y-boots-stuck-emergency-mode.html#post3301128

In short, don't mess with KDZ unless you really have to.

IF you still think KDZ is safe, then go ahead, use it. I don't care if you end up with a bricked phone.

EDIT: The guys at the service center favour LGMPD over KDZ too

Last edited:

terratrix

Jun 9, 2011
Singapore
You guys will only learn when you finally end up with a bricked phone. It has happened to several people, including me. I am not a noob, I have used KDZ before and I know very well how to use it. Most of the time, everything goes smoothly. But even if we follow all instructions to the letter, there is a chance of KDZ bricking our phone for good.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus...read-2-3-3-official-firmware.html#post3328455

http://androidforums.com/optimus-on...y-boots-stuck-emergency-mode.html#post3301128

IF you still think KDZ is safe, then go ahead, use it. I don't care if you end up with a bricked phone.

I have used KDZ more than 2 dozen times -.- Just used it again this morning. I never ended up with a bricked phone mind you. They favour LGMPD since it's more updated, while KDZ is a little old but still very good.

There is a fairly equal share of bricked phones using LGDMPD, eventhough they got it back by using other people's NV2, they need to hope they are lucky to escape the long arm of the law.

Last edited:

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011

Mate your the one who clearly doesnt get it.

And i read your post on androidforums, you even managed to brick your phone installing custom recovery, clearly your phone software is buggy, not kdz, kdz is capable of recovering while in emergency mode as well, but of course there are freak accidents.

EVERYTHING has a WARNING.
Every single Rom, Kernel, Recovery also carry a chance of bricking your phone.
I have used Kdz dozens of times and never had a problem with it, in fact, its what solved my problems in the first place.

And exactly wat terra said, the way LGDMPD works can also cause bricked phoes or taking shortcuts to make things half work.

You have to know what your doing, and follow instructions TO THE WORD, and you should be fine, if your going to skim read then you brick your phone doing the simplest of tasks (such as repeatedly flashing zips without reloading recovery...)

I will always prefer kdz as thats what the firmware comes with originally + i prefer doing clean installs any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: terratrix

shreyas.kukde

Feb 4, 2011
Pune
Please Help...

Guys please help me. everything was running fine until I decided to switch to stock 2.3.3. I was unaware with this baseband thing. I switched to stock 2.3.3. I did not like it, so decided to roll back to cm7, I did, and here i am with no signal in my phone... I did flash the old baseband, but am still stuck with no signal... am in real trouble, and now if I again switch to stock 2.3.3, then also I dont get a network coverage at all. Please help me buddies :(

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And yes one more thing, even if I flash back the old stock froyo, via kdz or lgmdp, I cant get the network coverage... the guy at LG service center says there's some problem with the board... but I dont think its the board problem, is there any way to diagnose this issue or am I *ucked?

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
Guys please help me. everything was running fine until I decided to switch to stock 2.3.3. I was unaware with this baseband thing. I switched to stock 2.3.3. I did not like it, so decided to roll back to cm7, I did, and here i am with no signal in my phone... I did flash the old baseband, but am still stuck with no signal... am in real trouble, and now if I again switch to stock 2.3.3, then also I dont get a network coverage at all. Please help me buddies :(

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And yes one more thing, even if I flash back the old stock froyo, via kdz or lgmdp, I cant get the network coverage... the guy at LG service center says there's some problem with the board... but I dont think its the board problem, is there any way to diagnose this issue or am I *ucked?
Hey mate, well no gsm is normally caused by the wrong baseband, so flashing back to the old one should fix the problem, try to re-flash the stock froyo given in the link on first post and see if that works, and if still no coverage then its a hardware problem and Lg should replace it for you, just dont forget to flash back to stock again if you rooted it, then they should fix it within the warranty.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi I found a similar article on androidforums.com so I thought id make one here as a lot of people still seem to not know how to flash basebands and go from there. Ill start from the beginning.

For those who don't understand what this is about.

Old Baseband = If you have the Stock Froyo (2.2) Android system on your phone then you have the OLD BASEBAND, and you do not need this unless you updated to past 2.2.2 then continue reading if you wish to root your phone the easy way.

New Baseband = If you updated to the Stock Gingerbread (2.3) Android System on your Optimus One, then you fit this category, Lg have implemented a new baseband in this update which makes any Roms based on the old baseband not function, as well as making it more difficult to root your phone

FLASHING OLD BASEBAND

If you're already on official Gingerbread version you will need to downgrade your version to Froyo 2.2.2 using KDZ Updater. This is because the new Gingerbread contains the new baseband, and the Froyo firmware is the old baseband.

To do this please go onto this link that contains kdz and the stock Froyo 2.2.2 Rom required to flash. The reason you need 2.2.2 is its the easiest and proven version to work with Gingerbreak to root your device.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13396506&postcount=1

Notice: If by some ACCIDENTAL reason, your phone gets stuck in EMERGENCY MODE during flashing, follow the instructions on this link how to use KDZs functions to continue flashing the firmware you downloaded in Emergency mode.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1275523

FLASHING NEW BASEBAND

The Kdz File for new baseband is below, use the same method as above only using the v20G .kdz file instead of the 2.2.2 v10E update.
    This will update your phone to the official LG 2.3 firmware, in which the new baseband originated.

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP500/ANEUBK/V20g_00/V20G_00.kdz

If then stuck on LG Logo OR boot animation, try pulling and putting in your battery, turning on your phone and holding down volume down and home key, this should reset your phone to factory and then you will be able to boot into the stock gingerbread.

ROOTING

The easiest way to get root privileges on Old Baseband (2.2.2) firmware device is by using Gingerbreak apk. Just download it, install it and run it.
    xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=600902&d=1305802958

To get Root access on the New Baseband (2.3.3) use SuperOneClick
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Or direct link to the latest version
    xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=778098&d=1320906597

Make sure, after you download the program, you go into your cmd, then go into the ADB folder, drag the ABD exe file into command prompt, delete the .exe part and add devices, so it look like this

OR

Download the ADB.zip attachment on this post, EXTRACT it so cmdXP and cmd7 are located inside the ADB folder in the Superoneclick directory, and run either version, depending on your windows version (This links you directly into ADB app, instead of manually dragging ADB.exe int cmd, really its just for your convinience.)
    Then all you have to do is type the following lines.

adb devices
    press enter

adb shell
    press enter

then type in the following directly after
    echo 1 > /data/local/lge_adb.conf
    press enter.

Then go into Superoneclick.exe, select auto method and run root, this should then eventually root your device.

***WARNING***

Some Antivirus softwares will detect Superoneclick as a Virus.
    IT IS NOT A VIRUS, just the types of exploite code it uses makes some antivirus software think of it as malicious. Just disable your AV for 5 mins before you extract Superoneclick.

RECOVERY

There's two popular custom Recovery versions for O1 - AmonRa and ClockworkMod

The easiest way to flash ClockworkMod Recovery is by downloading ROM Manager app from the Market (free or donate version doesn't matter) and choose to flash the latest recovery version and choose the option to Reboot in Recovery mode.

For Other Recoveries including Amonra there are a few links, but here is the one that has flashable zips

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1523050

Just flash the zip files in Clockworkmod recovery menu, after you install that through Rom Manager if you wish to use a different recovery.

Now that you got the right baseband + your device is rooted and loaded with a custom recovery you may install any Rom you wish that is based on the correct baseband such as

Mik_os 6.5.8 Cyanogenmod port (OLD BASEBAND).
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=946354

[UNOFFICIAL][DEV/GEEKS-ONLY] Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.3)[BETA][NEW BASEBAND]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558213

OFFICIAL CYANOGENMOD Rom [NEW BASEBAND]

http://get.cm/?device=p500

Oxygen ROM 2.3.2 (Android 2.3.7)[NEW BASEBAND]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1325386

As you already quoted it, i said that this method is different from Doks.

As for wiping all data completely, so its all brand new and neat, then try to fiddle around with internals and possibly have a bug result from it.

KDZ is what is used to UNBRICK your phone in the first place, so go do some research before posting unnecessary things.

Lastly how about you show some respect and keep your negative and rude comments to yourself, if you dont like this method dont do it, dont abuse people in the process.
    i updated my firmware to 2.3.3 and now my phone is stuck on the android logo...what should i do?
    Yep as i mentioned on the first post, if that happens and it normally does if you flash from say cyanogenmod or other custom roms not based on Lg framework, as kdz installs the system folder, leaving the userdata untouched ( it also wipes recovery). This would also happen if say you try to flash a Rom based on LG zip file, over a cyanogenmod, using recovery.

All you do to fix it, is when you boot it up, hold down volume down and menu button, and your phone will reset to system defaults (Lg doesnt have a recovery, just wipe user data function) and all other stuff will get wiped that wasnt part of the LG update. Your phone should boot now.

Mate your the one who clearly doesnt get it.

And i read your post on androidforums, you even managed to brick your phone installing custom recovery, clearly your phone software is buggy, not kdz, kdz is capable of recovering while in emergency mode as well, but of course there are freak accidents.

EVERYTHING has a WARNING.
    Every single Rom, Kernel, Recovery also carry a chance of bricking your phone.
    I have used Kdz dozens of times and never had a problem with it, in fact, its what solved my problems in the first place.

And exactly wat terra said, the way LGDMPD works can also cause bricked phoes or taking shortcuts to make things half work.

You have to know what your doing, and follow instructions TO THE WORD, and you should be fine, if your going to skim read then you brick your phone doing the simplest of tasks (such as repeatedly flashing zips without reloading recovery...)

I will always prefer kdz as thats what the firmware comes with originally + i prefer doing clean installs any day.