Differences between Z1 and Z1s?

Search This thread

chriscosta77

Feb 25, 2013
Wasilla, AK
I just bought my Z1s about 5 days ago. Right out of the box I put on the ZAGG screen and backside protectors. The back is matte, and adds grip, so that's nice.

I'm finicky about color accuracy on my phone displays, coming from an iPhone 5. My girlfriend has the iPhone 5S, which is also a very accurate display. The colors and white balance on the Z1s display are appealing...but the gamma is all over the place with values ranging from 1.2 to 1.6, and they should be 2.2 for all colors. That being said, it is very nice display and imho, closer to "real life" than any flagship display out right now, except for the iPhone 5C/5S. Viewing angles are not a major deal breaker for me personally.

That being said, the camera drives me nuts. I was excited about the 1/2.3" sensor and G glass with BOINZ processing but the so-called "Superior Auto" is spastic at best. I wish I could select "Aperture Priority" as a mode with the full 20MP. As a flat smartphone camera, the hardware definitely has potential but the software seriously gimps the camera. I hope a firmware and software fix come in the near future from Sony.

Switching from at&t, I've noticed much better reception here in the Denver Metro area. Calls between my girlfriend and I sound so much clearer, almost like the HD voice in Facetime audio between iPhones. The Z1s has a very nice sounding earpiece but the bottom speaker is hindered by the waterproofing. But definitely loud enough to function for speakerphone.

Coming from a finely crafted machined device like the iPhone 5, the plasticky feel of the bezel was a bit disappointing but I'm used to it already.

Compared to my girlfriend's 5S, with similar usage patterns, and auto brightness, I have about 30% more battery at night when I'm going to bed and putting it on the charger than her iPhone.

I really like this phone and it's design. Sleek, flat and minimalistic. Loving the side power button placement and the dedicated camera button. Hold for instant access to the camera!

My only gripe is that the XReality/Bravia engine only work in the default Sony Album and Movie apps. It definitely adds some punch to visuals. It'd be nice to crank those up in MX Player.

I'm on Jump, so I will see what comes down the pipe for Tmo, but overall I'm pleased with this device. Its definitely got enough top shelf specs to be relavent for some time. At least with Sony adopting a 6 month flagship release schedule, I'll be able to pick and choose for the foreseeable future, a nice phone from them at my leisure.

Also, this phone needs root so that I can install greenify and Adaway would be awesome. I'm liking the choices Sony made for their Android skin...they took a light touch approach. Can't wait for them to release KitKat though!

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017
Z1s is better for gaming

The Z1s is somewhere somehow in top 1 list of mobiles for gaming
Of course it's not, but my standard Z1 is pretty good tho... :angel:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    20% cash back with serve.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

I was able to install ISIS app no problem and add cards etc, gonna test it out this week while I'm traveling at the airports. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Epsix how do you get the Google launcher on there?
    And how is everyone's battery life so far? I'm considering ditching my droid maxx I'm using on tmobile for this but I'm a raw android experience kinda guy.
    Thanks!
    Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Battery life is great so far. I've only had the phone for 3 days and I'm averaging around 6-7 hrs on screen time with varied use (texts, emails, browsing, Netflix, music) I've been using stamina mode around the 50% mark.

Just like you I prefer the raw android experience, although I will say I haven't hated the Sony UI as much as I thought I would. I think it's because this thing is zippy and I'm coming over from a Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE with CM11. I must say Tmobile LTE is great. Even their HSPA+ 3G beats Sprint LTE. So far I'm very pleased. I think I'm gonna keep jump and see what the new HTC or Nexus phone will be like...but I wouldn't mind keeping this thing for 2 years, even without root.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app
    I should let everyone know, by removing the anti shatter film on the Z1s, it won't remove the Sony logo. It's embedded on the glass and not on the film like the Z1. I removed it myself and I'm happy to say this greatly improves viewing angles.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Just add a sd card to your z1 done. Lol. Is the same ****

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It'll never be the same **** until games can be installed on external SD cards

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
    LOL people are confused, the camera is the same...
    I swear it's a Shakespeare play in here. The Z1S is not intended to be an upgrade to the Z1. It's a VARIANT. That means changes. Changes that some people will like, and others won't.

Nobody, anywhere, expects Z1 owners to swap for a Z1S. That's why it's called the Z1S, and not the Z2.