[Q] Milestone power buttons does not work while phone is on

Search This thread

silvacrest

Feb 20, 2010
I can turn on the milestone with the power button but when the OS has booted up it becomes unresponsive, if i keep pressing it it sometimes goes to the power off menu but besides from that it does not work

also i can no longer boot into the bootloader but recovery still works, the last rom i installed was the cronos rom with the included kernel, i used this rom for most of the day and it was fine untill i got home

hopefully someone can help :)

Reactions: i2gh0st

baobob

Oct 8, 2011
Hi silvacrest, I know this is a very old post (in Internet years), but have you (or somebody else) by any chance found a fix for the problem you described? My Milestone running CM7.2RC1 just started to present those same symptoms.

Thanks!

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
Try taking the battery, SD, and SIM out and using a can of compressed air (NOT an air compressor machine, those pull tons of moisture out of the air and can cause serious damage to your phone) on every nook and cranny of the device. Around and in the headphone port, around the power button, everywhere inside the battery compartment, etc. You'd be amazed at what problems dust can cause.

Reactions: baobob

baobob

Oct 8, 2011
Thank you for the advice, I'll try that and keep you updated!

Sent from my Milestone using xda premium

i2gh0st

Don't recommend this.

You will break the button for good and you'll need to open your phone, well if think you already need to do that.

The milestone button is composed of a thin foil glued to a metallic case, the glue gets old and the adherence with time will decrease and the foil will get dislocated from it's location. This is why your buttons won't work anymore.

If you use compressed air will probably break the button. I have fixed mine by putting a little thin foil of duct tape after I put the foil button in place.

Good luck.

There are more than enough videos out there that shows how to open the milestone.

baobob

Oct 8, 2011
Hi i2gh0st, in my case, the milestone now sometimes acts as if the power button was pressed, long or short press, waking up the device, displaying the menu or even boot when the phone is off.
You think this behavior could correspond to the foil problem you described?

i2gh0st

I don't think so, the button should not work at all, unless it got stuck on press mode. Anything is possible its a ****y button if you look at it from an engineering way.

When I assembled my phone last time I noticed the volume up didn't work, so I opened it again and I found the foil glued to another place instead of its location. So everything started to make sense why buttons break down.

Sorry if I don't really make myself understood, I'm not that good at technical English.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't recommend this.

You will break the button for good and you'll need to open your phone, well if think you already need to do that.

The milestone button is composed of a thin foil glued to a metallic case, the glue gets old and the adherence with time will decrease and the foil will get dislocated from it's location. This is why your buttons won't work anymore.

If you use compressed air will probably break the button. I have fixed mine by putting a little thin foil of duct tape after I put the foil button in place.

Good luck.

There are more than enough videos out there that shows how to open the milestone.
    Oky, can't find any relevant video or picture to show you, so I'll open my phone again in week-end after my exam and make a video or some pictures. Just wait a little :)
    I can turn on the milestone with the power button but when the OS has booted up it becomes unresponsive, if i keep pressing it it sometimes goes to the power off menu but besides from that it does not work

also i can no longer boot into the bootloader but recovery still works, the last rom i installed was the cronos rom with the included kernel, i used this rom for most of the day and it was fine untill i got home

hopefully someone can help :)
    Try taking the battery, SD, and SIM out and using a can of compressed air (NOT an air compressor machine, those pull tons of moisture out of the air and can cause serious damage to your phone) on every nook and cranny of the device. Around and in the headphone port, around the power button, everywhere inside the battery compartment, etc. You'd be amazed at what problems dust can cause.