I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM & I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
The following is not a root method in the "traditional" sense, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo. This is a workaround to our inability to root KitKat 4.4.2. However the end result is a Fully Functioning, 100% Stock, Rooted, NB1 Device. (See Post# 2 for "KeepRoot"OTA.zip Method). Proceed at Your Own Risk! (Thanks to @ted77usa @rebel1699 @Maribou @dave5777 @dolph8886 @Surge1223 @jeboo for discoveriing it was possible to downgrade from MK2 to NB1. Special thanks to @rebel1699 for figuring out how to flash a 4.4 SS Custom ROM on our device. Without them this workaround would not be possible).

**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Congrats to Everyone mentioned above for your accomplishments while we waited for this!** : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

**Note**: The process below has been proven to work without exception when the instructions are followed to the letter. Should you run into trouble please consider re-reviewing the instructions to identify your error before requesting assistance. Thank you.

Get the latest I337 firmware here: I337UCUFNC1

Donations Welcome!

Here it is: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM

And here: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROMwBL (This version contains the NB1 bootloader. MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM in the root of your ext sdcard.
*2. Download the I337_Downgrade_to_MK2 file, extract the .tar and flash in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+) to obtain semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2.
3. Use your favorite root method to root MK2, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo Root App, then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
4. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an "Advanced Wipe", and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
5. Flash the ROM zip in the "Stock Slot." Once complete press "Home," then reboot into "Download Mode".
6. Flash the I337_NB1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step 2.

Once complete the phone will apply an update to cache, then reboot and pause on the white AT&T splash screen for about 1-2 minutes before completely rebooting. Done!

- MK2 users can use Safestrap's Backup/Restore function to backup and restore User Data prior to and after flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this very useful feature.
- In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 Safestrap Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in the "Stock Slot" and reboot (Refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance. Please limit the discussion in this thread to the 100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM and the KeepRoot OTA zip).
- To go back to factory stock, un-rooted NB1 flash the NB1 4.4.2 Stock Odin .tar in the PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
- Those that never took the MK2 to NB1 update can return to factory stock MK2 by flashing the MK2 All-in-One Full Odin .tar in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Known Issue: MK2 bootloader users will experience a lockscreen settings issue. The issue can be resolved by flashing the FMLD_Bootloader in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). You will still be able to revert back to factory stock MK2. Caution!: NB1 & NC1 bootloader users should not flash this file as it may hardbrick your phone.

I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_TetherAddOn
Instructions:
1. After flashing and booting into I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM,
2. Place the AddOn in ext sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I337UCUFNB1_MK2-to-NB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip Method

This alternative "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NB1 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining User Data and Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a 100% Stock, Rooted, NB1 Device. Proceed at your own risk! Thanks to @jeboo for giving me the idea to develop this method!

**Prerequisite** This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock except for root and Safestrap. The update will fail if any MK2 system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2 and re-root.

Here it is: I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

And here: I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTAwBL.zip (This version contains the NB1 bootloader. MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNB1_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
2. Follow steps 2 - 3 from Post# 1 to downgrade to MK2, root, and install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk .
3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
4. Flash the I337UCUFNB1_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot" and once complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
5. Last, flash the I337_NB1_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone will reboot to the white AT&T splash screen then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to 4.4.2 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: to manually uninstall Safestrap recovery use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).

Instructions:
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!

Last edited:

GS4privileged

Mar 11, 2014

@muniz_ri ur saying here to put the file in the PDA slot correct which mean using odin3 v 1.85 correct. If so that might be my problem in the past with this down grade method I used odin3 v 3.09 and flashed the pit and AP files from @ted77usa downgrade method. Do you think that could be my problem. And again thank you so much for all your help lately I know it has to be annoying but thank you so much for walking me through so much stuff because of you I feel very confident in doing this so thank you for all your help. Also thanks you to all the other dev's that I have been such a pain in the but to hahah

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
@muniz_ri ur saying here to put the file in the PDA slot correct which mean using odin3 v 1.85 correct. If so that might be my problem in the past with this down grade method I used odin3 v 3.09 and flashed the pit and AP files from @ted77usa downgrade method. Do you think that could be my problem. And again thank you so much for all your help lately I know it has to be annoying but thank you so much for walking me through so much stuff because of you I feel very confident in doing this so thank you for all your help. Also thanks you to all the other dev's that I have been such a pain in the but to hahah

No problem. I believe Odin changed the name of the PDA slot to AP in version 3.09. I use version 3.08 but whichever version you use you don't need to add the pit file. Just follow the above process to the letter and you should be fine. Good luck.

GS4privileged

Mar 11, 2014
No problem. I believe Odin changed the name of the PDA slot to AP in version 3.09. I use version 3.08 but whichever version you use you don't need to add the pit file. Just follow the above process to the letter and you should be fine. Good luck.
OK I will try again once I get home from work but I use 3.09 and 1.85 maybe I'll try it using 1.85.

tmaddison93

Mar 18, 2014
thank you soo much for these steps. one question, I am already on mk2 so i dont need to downgrade. do i still follow the same instructions... and is there a specific folder in the sd external whr the file should b placed?

Last edited:
Reactions: muniz_ri

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
thank you soo much for these steps. one question, I am already on mk2 so i dont need to downgrade. do i still follow the same instructions... and is there a specific folder in the sd external whr the file should b placed?

You can skip step 2. Also, place the rom in the root of your ext sdcard. OP updated. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: tmaddison93

tmaddison93

Mar 18, 2014
ok ok. i think i messed up,,, I installed safe root instead of safe strap is it the same? should i unnstall? and how do i boot into it.

ok got it .. figured it out.

Last edited:

Maribou

Nov 29, 2012
Oklahoma City
You need safe root to install safestrap. After you use saferoot, install the safestrap apk and launch the safestrap app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: muniz_ri

tmaddison93

Mar 18, 2014
You need safe root to install safestrap. After you use saferoot, install the safestrap apk and launch the safestrap app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ok im getting somewhere, i have downloaded everything ! yes!! now it say select zip file.. however i cant find the file.. i didnt wipe my external.. the file is I337...

tmaddison93

Mar 18, 2014
Keep pressing "up one level" until you see "sd card." You likely placed it in there.

im going to have to look at every file... to make it clear i should be in safe strap after i wipe. i hit install correct? ok second if i cant find the file how do i add it bac. can i reboot from safestrap or i do i have to do a recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The following is not a root method in the "traditional" sense, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo. This is a workaround to our inability to root KitKat 4.4.2. However the end result is a Fully Functioning, 100% Stock, Rooted, NB1 Device. (See Post# 2 for "KeepRoot"OTA.zip Method). Proceed at Your Own Risk! (Thanks to @ted77usa @rebel1699 @Maribou @dave5777 @dolph8886 @Surge1223 @jeboo for discoveriing it was possible to downgrade from MK2 to NB1. Special thanks to @rebel1699 for figuring out how to flash a 4.4 SS Custom ROM on our device. Without them this workaround would not be possible).

**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Congrats to Everyone mentioned above for your accomplishments while we waited for this!** : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

**Note**: The process below has been proven to work without exception when the instructions are followed to the letter. Should you run into trouble please consider re-reviewing the instructions to identify your error before requesting assistance. Thank you.

Get the latest I337 firmware here: I337UCUFNC1

Donations Welcome!

Here it is: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM

And here: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROMwBL (This version contains the NB1 bootloader. MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM in the root of your ext sdcard.
    *2. Download the I337_Downgrade_to_MK2 file, extract the .tar and flash in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+) to obtain semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2.
    3. Use your favorite root method to root MK2, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo Root App, then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
    4. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an "Advanced Wipe", and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
    5. Flash the ROM zip in the "Stock Slot." Once complete press "Home," then reboot into "Download Mode".
    6. Flash the I337_NB1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step 2.

Once complete the phone will apply an update to cache, then reboot and pause on the white AT&T splash screen for about 1-2 minutes before completely rebooting. Done!

- MK2 users can use Safestrap's Backup/Restore function to backup and restore User Data prior to and after flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this very useful feature.
    - In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 Safestrap Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in the "Stock Slot" and reboot (Refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance. Please limit the discussion in this thread to the 100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM and the KeepRoot OTA zip).
    - To go back to factory stock, un-rooted NB1 flash the NB1 4.4.2 Stock Odin .tar in the PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    - Those that never took the MK2 to NB1 update can return to factory stock MK2 by flashing the MK2 All-in-One Full Odin .tar in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Known Issue: MK2 bootloader users will experience a lockscreen settings issue. The issue can be resolved by flashing the FMLD_Bootloader in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). You will still be able to revert back to factory stock MK2. Caution!: NB1 & NC1 bootloader users should not flash this file as it may hardbrick your phone.

Instructions:
    4. Reboot. Done!
    I337UCUFNB1_MK2-to-NB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip Method

This alternative "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NB1 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining User Data and Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a 100% Stock, Rooted, NB1 Device. Proceed at your own risk! Thanks to @jeboo for giving me the idea to develop this method!

**Prerequisite** This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock except for root and Safestrap. The update will fail if any MK2 system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2 and re-root.

Here it is: I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

And here: I337_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTAwBL.zip (This version contains the NB1 bootloader. MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).

1. Place the I337UCUFNB1_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
    2. Follow steps 2 - 3 from Post# 1 to downgrade to MK2, root, and install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk .
    3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    4. Flash the I337UCUFNB1_MK2toNB1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot" and once complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
    5. Last, flash the I337_NB1_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone will reboot to the white AT&T splash screen then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to 4.4.2 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: to manually uninstall Safestrap recovery use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).

Instructions:
    4. Reboot. Done!
    I'm guessing that this is for both NB1_Stock and NB1_Stock with tethering ROM? To flash the NB1 KernekModules.zip

Sent from my A210 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Just an FYI, the NB1 modules are built into the ROM, so there is no need to reflash them or push them into system.
    Just a quick update: earlier today I got my S4 running rooted and running 4.3 with Safestrap and the Wifi antenna fix. It's been working like a charm, and I can finally get full use out of my phone. The whole process was a bit more agonizing that I was expecting, but the important thing is that now everything works the way I want it to, and I am loving it. You guys are the best. :good:

So happy this worked! Great job to all who made this possible! :)

I'm testing an alternative root workaround method which, for some, may be an easier process. It looks promising but we shall see........
    thanks for that info. i see theres quite a lengthy and technical thread on unlocking. ill have to keep an eye on that. i did manage to find a 2gb sdcard thatll work for now. if xposed works fully, ill be happy for now. but bootloader will need to be unlocked for future updates past kitkat and when att stops providing updates. if i know att, this may be the last update from them...

Oh to get rid of the startup noise, after installing this rom, use ES Explorer to navigate to /system/media/audio/ui and find PowerOn.ogg . Rename it to PowerOn.BAKogg

Now your phone cannot find that obnoxious sound when it starts up and will be soothingly silent.