[game] how to correctly backup/transfer angry birds data

Search This thread

mingkee

This also works with seasons and rio as well.
Pre-requisites:
  • rooted phone/tablet
  • root explorer installed
First of all, use root explorer to go to
/data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds (use corresponding names for seasons and rio)/files
Copy these two files:
  • highscores.lua
  • settings.lua
Now you can go to same location on the target device and paste them; however, make sure you rename the original files first.
This step is the most important: fix the permission. Make sure both files have three read and write, and NO EXECUTE (X) because it will cause reboot when you run the game!!!
Done.

aloy99

May 15, 2011
...can someone post save files for rio, all levels unlocked(this doesn't count as warez, right?)? I want to try blue out.

Sent from my X10mini using XDA App

aloy99

May 15, 2011
Sorry, I meant till carnival upheaval.

Sent from my X10mini using XDA App

profalbert

Nov 11, 2010
You can also do it with adb:

To backup:
Code:
adb shell
# su
# busybox cp /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/*.lua /sdcard

to restore:
Code:
adb shell
# su
# cd /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files
# ls -l
-rw-rw-rw- app_114  app_114     16668 2011-06-10 01:22 highscores.lua
-rw-rw-rw- app_114  app_114      1521 2011-06-11 11:15 settings.lua
# busybox cp /sdcard/highscores.lua .
# busybox cp /sdcard/settings.lua .
# chown app_114.app_114 *.lua
# chmod 666 *.lua

You can also complete the first level (so that highscores.lua gets created with correct permissions), and then restore using:
Code:
adb shell
# su
# cat /sdcard/highscores.lua > /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua
# cat /sdcard/settings.lua > /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/settings.lua

You can also use titanium-backup to back it up. Restoring with titanium might not always work, but don't worry, the .tar.gz generated with titanium contains the two required lua-files, you can just extract them from there.

Also, iirc there is some free app on the market, that can do it without root (no idea if it still works). Just don't buy the paid ones.

Last edited:

Chaoticaa

Apr 26, 2010
You know... The option to have your app data back up is built into Android OS... Settings>Privacy Settings>
Check the following:
Back up my data
Automatic restore

Hell, they're even enabled by default.... Or at least they were with my phone (HTC Desire).

profalbert

Nov 11, 2010
You know... The option to have your app data back up is built into Android OS... Settings>Privacy Settings>
Check the following:
Back up my data
Automatic restore

Hell, they're even enabled by default.... Or at least they were with my phone (HTC Desire).

I'm not sure how or if angry birds uses the built-in backup-mechanism.
Anyways, on some devices this functionality is not available. Either because it hasn't got froyo yet, or the manufacturer disabled the backup-transport for some reason (e.g. Samsung).

Also I can't decide when to make the backup, and can never be sure I have one.

Last edited:

profalbert

Nov 11, 2010
I had problems with restoring when switching from CM7 to a stock-ROM (or vice versa).
copying the lua-files manually always worked.

I always try to restore it with titanium. When it fails, I fix it myself (happened more than once).

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
This is a good thing for me, I've flashed many of times loosing my data, and is not a big deal for me but I also do my wife's phone from time to time and have wiped her game data plenty of times I'm the past, and she hates having to start over, thanks for this!

Will this be able to be used in other games? I'm assuming if the same files are there for different games you should be able to use the same method to save any game you would like before flashing. :)

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010
Backup Apps AND Data with Titanium backup has worked for me always... Hope it will work in future.

Sent by Skeletor from Castle of Greyskull using XDA Premium App

Maximilian Mary

Jan 16, 2011
Wisconsin
This method will also work without root:

Backup using terminal emulator (download from market) or adb shell.
Code:
$ cat /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua > /sdcard/highscores.lua 
$ cat  /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/settings.lua > /sdcard/settings.lua

Like the OP said, use the correct.package.name for your version of Angry Birds. And for the love of all things android, make sure the files copied correctly before you wipe. (And if you're backing up before rooting, backup your sdcard to your computer.)

To restore:
Complete the first level (so that highscores.lua gets created with correct permissions), and then restore using:
Code:
# cat /sdcard/highscores.lua > /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua
# cat /sdcard/settings.lua > /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/settings.lua
)

mingkee

This is a good thing for me, I've flashed many of times loosing my data, and is not a big deal for me but I also do my wife's phone from time to time and have wiped her game data plenty of times I'm the past, and she hates having to start over, thanks for this!

Will this be able to be used in other games? I'm assuming if the same files are there for different games you should be able to use the same method to save any game you would like before flashing. :)
I will figure out how to backup and restore game data on dungeon defenders as well. I played it a lot on Galaxy Tab but I lost the tablet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This also works with seasons and rio as well.
    Pre-requisites:
    • rooted phone/tablet
    • root explorer installed
    First of all, use root explorer to go to
    /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds (use corresponding names for seasons and rio)/files
    Copy these two files:
    • highscores.lua
    • settings.lua
    Now you can go to same location on the target device and paste them; however, make sure you rename the original files first.
    This step is the most important: fix the permission. Make sure both files have three read and write, and NO EXECUTE (X) because it will cause reboot when you run the game!!!
    Done.