[APP] VLC for Android Pre-Alpha

Search This thread

kkrazzyyguy

Jul 27, 2009
For those of you who aren't familiar with VLC, it is one of the most popular open-source media programs available. It supports virtually every media format available, which is quite frankly, awesome.

vlc-videos.jpg

vlc-videoplayback.jpg

So why is this so cool for Android? If it can be optimized, especially with the onset of dual-core phones, you can say goodbye to the old days of having to re-encode your video and audio files to a “supported format” for your device.

VLC for Android makes use of the NDK, only specific builds will work on specific devices. Be sure to read the information below to find out which build works for your device

BUILD SIZE MD5SUM
VLC for Android (NEON) 5841596 bytes 3aa1f3b0778aef6b070d7f797afac0a6
VLC for Android (NONEON) 6014601 bytes 7d2c8d22f2f9a834a3086fcbe85c594c

NEON vs NONEON
There are two builds available of VLC for Android, known as NEON and NONEON. The difference is in the processor type.

Because VLC for Android makes use of the NDK (Native Development Kit), it is compiling native-level binaries that will only work on the processor class for which they were designed. This means that the same build will not work across all devices.

Specifically, when building the native VLC libraries for Android, you have to specify whether the target supports NEON floating-point extensions. Certain devices contain a dedicated floating-point unit (FPU) which is used to do floating-point calculations such as division (think fractions). Other devices don't have a dedicated FPU, and instead need to emulate one in software.

Although VLC could be built to simply always emulate an FPU and thus work across devices, making use of the dedicated NEON FPU is advantageous from a processing perspective as it offloads work that the CPU has to do.

So that's all well and good, but how does one go about checking if their device supports NEON or not? It's actually quite simple. Using either a file manager on your device or simply ADB, locate a file called /proc/cpuinfo and open it.

When you do, you'll see something like this:
Code:
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1597.74

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 2

Hardware : mapphone_CDMA
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

If you see the word neon on the Features line, then your device supports NEON extensions. If it's not there, then you'll have to use the NONEON variant of VLC.

Download
http://www.filesonic.com/file/2138603921/VLC-neon.apk (NEON)
http://www.filesonic.com/file/2138603721/VLC-noneon.apk ( NON-NEON)

Mirror:
http://www.filefat.com/8o0ru9busyvp (NEON)
http://www.filefat.com/5lcbnou6ubxt (NON-NEON)

zerkai

May 15, 2010
Seattle
Thanks. Will give this a go on my Samsung Captivate which supports neon (for those who wants to know).

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
Looks promising already! Thank you :)

And for everyone else with a HTC Evo 3D (shooter), we have the NEON.

Sent from the CMheaven powered 3d

Last edited:
Reactions: dadoc04

KlashbeN

Jul 4, 2011
I can't seem to find /proc/cpuinfo on my HTC Sensation. :(

EDIT: Nvm found it. Was kinda blur for a moment back there :p

Last edited:

johnmmr@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2008
San Diego
Anyone successfully running VLC on the Captivate?

I downloaded the neon version of VLC and installed it, but when I try to run it, it immediatly quits. I'm running Mod version CyanogenMod-7-09192011-NIGHTLY-Captivate. Just curious how many people have actually got it running. I love VLC on the desktop, use it on my Linux home laptop, and on my Windows work computer, would also like to say I have it on my Android phone. :)

DeFiant*X

Feb 5, 2009
Orlando
Wow, really love the clean interface. I have a US Sensation so I downloaded the NEON version; it plays avi's perfectly. No more Moboplayer for me. It had trouble with a HD mp4 movie, but that is what the stock player is built for. Thanks!

drbobb

Feb 14, 2010
Warsaw
Neither of those file hosting sites works with my phone's browser (MIUI ROM)

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
Has anyone had any other problems with loading times on the Main Menu? 2 hours later and it still says its loading.
Help?

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
tried it on galaxy s, works but after a while of vlc use the phone froze and had to reboot to get it working.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Reactions: philansel7

fernandezhjr

May 4, 2009
Highlands, TX
It freezes alot for me. Fortunately I can still get to my home screen and go into settings and kill it. Uninstalled for now. HTC Inspire stock rooted Gingerbread 2.3.3.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

philansel7

Jun 21, 2011
why it is laggy while playing hd file(mp4)??? there is no problem with normal avi files.

i have taken the neon version coz i have an Xperia Arc..

Reactions: festa20

cgwinks

Jun 5, 2010
Use a free program on the market Android System Info, then look under CPU tab next to features for neon or nonneon.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who aren't familiar with VLC, it is one of the most popular open-source media programs available. It supports virtually every media format available, which is quite frankly, awesome.

vlc-videos.jpg

vlc-videoplayback.jpg

So why is this so cool for Android? If it can be optimized, especially with the onset of dual-core phones, you can say goodbye to the old days of having to re-encode your video and audio files to a “supported format” for your device.

VLC for Android makes use of the NDK, only specific builds will work on specific devices. Be sure to read the information below to find out which build works for your device

BUILD SIZE MD5SUM
    VLC for Android (NEON) 5841596 bytes 3aa1f3b0778aef6b070d7f797afac0a6
    VLC for Android (NONEON) 6014601 bytes 7d2c8d22f2f9a834a3086fcbe85c594c

NEON vs NONEON
    There are two builds available of VLC for Android, known as NEON and NONEON. The difference is in the processor type.

Because VLC for Android makes use of the NDK (Native Development Kit), it is compiling native-level binaries that will only work on the processor class for which they were designed. This means that the same build will not work across all devices.

Specifically, when building the native VLC libraries for Android, you have to specify whether the target supports NEON floating-point extensions. Certain devices contain a dedicated floating-point unit (FPU) which is used to do floating-point calculations such as division (think fractions). Other devices don't have a dedicated FPU, and instead need to emulate one in software.

Although VLC could be built to simply always emulate an FPU and thus work across devices, making use of the dedicated NEON FPU is advantageous from a processing perspective as it offloads work that the CPU has to do.

So that's all well and good, but how does one go about checking if their device supports NEON or not? It's actually quite simple. Using either a file manager on your device or simply ADB, locate a file called /proc/cpuinfo and open it.

When you do, you'll see something like this:
    Code:
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    processor : 0
    BogoMIPS : 1597.74

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x1
    CPU part : 0xc09
    CPU revision : 2

Hardware : mapphone_CDMA
    Revision : 0000
    Serial : 0000000000000000

If you see the word neon on the Features line, then your device supports NEON extensions. If it's not there, then you'll have to use the NONEON variant of VLC.

Download
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/2138603921/VLC-neon.apk (NEON)
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/2138603721/VLC-noneon.apk ( NON-NEON)

Mirror:
    http://www.filefat.com/8o0ru9busyvp (NEON)
    http://www.filefat.com/5lcbnou6ubxt (NON-NEON)
    Looks promising already! Thank you :)

And for everyone else with a HTC Evo 3D (shooter), we have the NEON.

Sent from the CMheaven powered 3d
    Has anyone had any other problems with loading times on the Main Menu? 2 hours later and it still says its loading.
    Help?

+ 1

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium
    tried it on galaxy s, works but after a while of vlc use the phone froze and had to reboot to get it working.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
    It freezes alot for me. Fortunately I can still get to my home screen and go into settings and kill it. Uninstalled for now. HTC Inspire stock rooted Gingerbread 2.3.3.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk