How to disable journaling?

Search This thread

fleen

Feb 10, 2014
On my quest for finding the best for my beloved nexus 5, I found that in the nexus 7 you could disable journaling to improve speed but I can't find anything for the nexus 5 on how to disable journaling so here is the part where the heroes of the xda forum bravely fix my "problem".

edit:
Nexus 7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280496

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Ext2 has no journalling and thusly was quicker than ext3, but journalling adds much more data integrity so would always recommend sticking with ext3 over ext2

However, we use ext4 which is quick and journals.

Not sure how n7 did it but I really wouldn't recommend it. Its not really "safe".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fleen

fleen

Feb 10, 2014
Ext2 has no journalling and thusly was quicker than ext3, but journalling adds much more data integrity so would always recommend sticking with ext3 over ext2

Not sure how n7 did it but I really wouldn't recommend it. Its not really "safe".

added the link of the nexus 7 thread.
I realize we lose safety but alot of ppl are saying that that feature is more for servers and that the normal consumer won't be needing it.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I'll have a look at the link.

I can confirm I have had huge issues with data loss and even bootloops due to lack of journalling so do beware

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Looks pretty easy to achieve. There's no point removing it from /system as you're not writing data here. I don't know about /cache but I don't see any harm.

/data would benefit the most but is the most risky

Did you read last page of that thread?

Reactions: fleen

fleen

Feb 10, 2014

I can confirm I have had huge issues with data loss and even bootloops due to lack of journalling so do beware

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Looks pretty easy to achieve. There's no point removing it from /system as you're not writing data here. I don't know about /cache but I don't see any harm.

No I didn't I only read the first comments.

Edit:
just read it, I don't know if its worth it until I try it I guess.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
No I didn't I only read the first comments.

Edit:
just read it, I don't know if its worth it until I try it I guess.

Looks to me that all you'd have to do is change /sdhci-tegra.3 to be /msm_sdcc.1 and:

UDA to userdata
APP to system
CAC to cache

But don't quote me on that! (Meaning don't try that on my say so)

Last edited:
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

Also "tune2fs" is in /system/xbin and "e2fsck" is in /system/bin...

:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    want a bit more speed with less safety @fleen disable fsync.

Already did. Im on a quest you see.