[Q] Rotted One OTA Update Risks

Search This thread
Oct 9, 2010
Hi all,

i'm a total noob in the htc world, i tried digging around in the forum but didn't find the answer to my doubts.

I've an italian (totally unlocked) rooted M7 with STOCK (no carrier personalisation) ROM, running:

- Android 4.4.2
- Sense 5.5
- Software Number 4.19.401.11
- Kernel 3.4.10-g7fe1bad root@abm012 #1
- Baseband 4A.25.3263.21_10.38x.1157.04L
- Build Number 4.19.401.11 CL304164 release-keys
- Custom TWRP Recovery & Unlocked Bootloader

I just received the sticky notification telling me to OTA update to Sense 6 ( Update # 5.11.401.10). My question is: what happens if i OTA update my One? Will it soft/hard brick? How do i manage to safely install the update? If there isn't a way to install it is there a way to flash some features of it singulatim?

Thank you all in advance.

PS: if the answer is NO to all my questions, how the hell do i remove that annoying notification from my not panel?:D

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Hi all,

i'm a total noob in the htc world, i tried digging around in the forum but didn't find the answer to my doubts.

I've an italian (totally unlocked) rooted M7 with STOCK (no carrier personalisation) ROM, running:

- Android 4.4.2
- Sense 5.5

I just received the sticky notification telling me to OTA update to Sense 6 ( Update # 5.11.401.10). My question is: what happens if i OTA update my One? Will it soft/hard brick? How do i manage to safely install the update? If there isn't a way to install it is there a way to flash some features of it singulatim?

PS: if the answer is NO to all my questions, how the hell do i remove that annoying notification from my not panel?:D

You need a stock recovery and locked bootloader to run the OTA. You can get it from this thread [Collection][GUIDE] HTC One Stock Recoveries. Find your stock recovery from the list, download it and follow the instructions in the OP.

Reactions: MattCorbellino

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
You need a stock recovery and locked bootloader to run the OTA. You can get it from this thread [Collection][GUIDE] HTC One Stock Recoveries. Find your stock recovery from the list, download it and follow the instructions in the OP.
not needed locked boot loader
Stock recovery
Unmodified stock Rom
Unlocking process delete some stock apps installed at data/preload apps that interfering with OTA SO you need restore them

from HTC One

Oct 9, 2010
Just flashed stock recovery (cid Hct__012) w/ preload files at their place (storage/emulated/data right?):
got the red triangle @ half the process :(

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oct 9, 2010
is this right or should i install the apks in the /preload directory before OTA?

Oct 9, 2010
Stock recovery
Unmodified stock Rom
Unlocking process delete some stock apps installed at data/preload apps that interfering with OTA SO you need restore them

from HTC One

Entered Bootloop after few trials, factory reset via fastboot, tried again from TOTALLY STOCK rom, failed again. I begin thinking the problem is either the locked boot loader or root itself!:eek:

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur

Attachments

• 1403173701926.jpg
    1403173701926.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 19

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
installed /preload apps, no success...

are you sure the /preload apps are the one specifically from your version (4.19.401.11) ?
also set permission correctly to all these files (-rw-r--r--)

well, all file patched by the ota are MD5 checked by the updater script, if any file have unexpected content (file was modified or missing), the update installation will abort and you'll see that red triangle with the exclamation mark.

like yatindroid said, unlcoked bootloader doesnt matter.

you need stock recovery from the 4.19.401.11 version
all files to be patched must be 100% stock (from 4.19.401.11)

Oct 9, 2010
are you sure the /preload apps are the one specifically from your version (4.19.401.11) ?

well, all file patched by the ota are MD5 checked by the updater script, if any file have unexpected content (file was modified or missing), the update installation will abort and you'll see that red triangle with the exclamation mark.

Ended up flashing Cyanogenmod, ahah. Thank you all for your help!:fingers-crossed::D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

- Android 4.4.2
    - Sense 5.5

Stock recovery
    Unmodified stock Rom

from HTC One

here see pics

from HTC One