[HOW TO] Root Atrix 2 running on Android GB(2.3.6) / ICS(4.0.4).

Search This thread

prasannapmv

May 31, 2012
This is a method to root Atrix 2 running on Android GB(2.3.6) / ICS(4.0.4).

EDIT: Last updated on 26th July 2012

WHAT WORKS: Everything including the setting inside superuser which was not working in superuser 3.1

If you use this MOD, then please click on thanks button below.

I have updated this method to latest version of superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1 for better compatibility with various Apps.

By following the below instructions you will be rooted in no time. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Features added in superuser 3.1.3:
1.Temp unroot
2. Ota survival
3. Outdated binary Notification

Method:

1. Enable "USB debugging" in your phone settings

2. Download the attachment Named "Motofail Root (superuser 3.1.3, su binary 3.1.1).zip" to root Android GB(2.3.6)
or Attachment named "ICS_root(superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1) .zip" to root Android ICS (4.0.4).

3. Uninstall your old Motorola drivers from PC and install these new drivers.

4. Connect your phone with original USB cable that came with your phone.

5. To root Android GB(2.3.6) click on "Click-To-Root.bat" in the attachment folder or
To root Android ICS(4.0.4) click on "Root.bat" in the attachment folder

6.Your phone will reboot 2-3 times don't remove the USB cable during this process

NOTE: If you are unable to Root even after following the above MOD then perform a Factory restore after OTA update and retry.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I haven't been having problems, but I always have been using the older motofail exploit then updating the binary from within the app.

I had the issue the other day, on stock 2.3.6, I also saw that alterdlikeness had a similar issue as well. It was updating past the 3.03 on both su and Superuser.

I had issues on my A2 with 3.1 only, and it would just FC and not work. I had to remove and basically re-root, and leave it at 3.0.1.

lkrasner

Apr 14, 2012
Brighton, MI
I had the issue the other day, on stock 2.3.6, I also saw that alterdlikeness had a similar issue as well. It was updating past the 3.03 on both su and Superuser.

I had issues on my A2 with 3.1 only, and it would just FC and not work. I had to remove and basically re-root, and leave it at 3.0.1.

hmm. good to know in case it ever happens to me. I guess I will know I am not alone.

prasannapmv

May 31, 2012
I don't know about other variants but it is working on ATT ROM and I have also assisted the same method to one user in India on androidcentral who was on MEART ROM and it even worked for him.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't know about other variants but it is working on ATT ROM and I have also assisted the same method to one user in India on androidcentral who was on MEART ROM and it even worked for him.

You missed the point I was trying to make to those wanting to update thier binaries for su and superuser.... not new root exploits.

I just want everyone to know there are issues with 3.1... however today an update to 3.1.2 today has been proven to work for those having the issues that both alteredlikness and I have seen with FCs.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

toastthemost

Oct 3, 2011
On Stock 2.3.6 rooted. The new updates to the Superuser app allow you to update the binary and use the settings now.

john1989

Jul 4, 2012
This method works as stated today I was trying to update my su binary but update was not getting successful so I unrooted and rooted back using this method now everything is updated and running smoothly.

seanpr123

Oct 5, 2011
South Florida
About to root my girlfriends phone to eventually install Lithium.
Coming from a AT&T Galaxy S2 so things are a bit different here.

Should I use this method or Jimmy's from this thread? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1327741

After that what steps do I need to take to get CWM installed so I can backup and install a new ROM?

Thanks thanks!

Last edited:

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
reflecting on Indra's net
About to root my girlfriends phone to eventually install Lithium.
Coming from a AT&T Galaxy S2 so things are a bit different here.

Should I use this method or Jimmy's from this thread? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1327741

After that what steps do I need to take to get CWM installed so I can backup and install a new ROM?

Thanks thanks!

I think they are the same, except this one has a more updated version of superuser - I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I personally have always used the one in Jimmy's thread and just update the superuser app and binary (and, thanks for reminding me about that post - I never thanked him until today - and due credit to p3droid & JRW 28 of course).

As for CWM recovery, just install the A2 Bootstrap app after being rooted. Use the bootstrap app - top button, OK, bottom button to boot into recovery.
Good luck to you and your girl!

Last edited:
Reactions: seanpr123

seanpr123

Oct 5, 2011
South Florida
I think they are the same, except this one has a more updated version of superuser - I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I personally have always used the one in Jimmy's thread and just update the superuser app and binary (and, thanks for reminding me about that post - I never thanked him until today - and due credit to p3droid & JRW 28 of course).

As for CWM recovery, just install the A2 Bootstrap app after being rooted. Use the bootstrap app - top button, OK, bottom button to boot into recovery.
Good luck to you and your girl!

Boom, was one setup ahead of you and just finished all that. Currently backing up in CWM and waiting for a painfully slow download of Lithium and we should be jammin. Can't believe how easy it all was actually.
So I assume since this CWM is loaded from an app there's no way to boot into recovery should a bootloop or rom failure happen? Is that something people worry about?
Thanks for your response bud.

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
reflecting on Indra's net
Boom, was one setup ahead of you and just finished all that. Currently backing up in CWM and waiting for a painfully slow download of Lithium and we should be jammin. Can't believe how easy it all was actually.
So I assume since this CWM is loaded from an app there's no way to boot into recovery should a bootloop or rom failure happen? Is that something people worry about?
Thanks for your response bud.
The cwm on boot feature may already be included in Lithium (edit: yes, it it included - just checked)... if not, you can set that up rather painlessly. And, yes, some of us do worry about that very much so..

Last edited:

matt_12tall

Feb 29, 2012
So I am on Atrix Xperia 4 rom and i was wondering if there is any way to re-root my phone to ICS and then flash the ics rom? I really havent seen anyone ask this yet but sorry if I am repeating anyones question.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
So I am on Atrix Xperia 4 rom and i was wondering if there is any way to re-root my phone to ICS and then flash the ics rom? I really havent seen anyone ask this yet but sorry if I am repeating anyones question.

Are you on the ICS leak already? Are you on AT&T? If you are on the ICS leak and on AT&T there is a way to root it in the leak thread in the General section. I put the files back up today.

If not, I really am not sure, one of the guys on the other leaks might be able to help there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a method to root Atrix 2 running on Android GB(2.3.6) / ICS(4.0.4).

EDIT: Last updated on 26th July 2012

WHAT WORKS: Everything including the setting inside superuser which was not working in superuser 3.1

If you use this MOD, then please click on thanks button below.

I have updated this method to latest version of superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1 for better compatibility with various Apps.

By following the below instructions you will be rooted in no time. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Features added in superuser 3.1.3:
    1.Temp unroot
    2. Ota survival
    3. Outdated binary Notification

Method:

1. Enable "USB debugging" in your phone settings

2. Download the attachment Named "Motofail Root (superuser 3.1.3, su binary 3.1.1).zip" to root Android GB(2.3.6)
    or Attachment named "ICS_root(superuser 3.1.3 and su binary 3.1.1) .zip" to root Android ICS (4.0.4).

3. Uninstall your old Motorola drivers from PC and install these new drivers.

4. Connect your phone with original USB cable that came with your phone.

5. To root Android GB(2.3.6) click on "Click-To-Root.bat" in the attachment folder or
    To root Android ICS(4.0.4) click on "Root.bat" in the attachment folder

6.Your phone will reboot 2-3 times don't remove the USB cable during this process

NOTE: If you are unable to Root even after following the above MOD then perform a Factory restore after OTA update and retry.
    Can i root the ics with this?
    And my phone is rooted,but can i re-root it?

YES
    Can i root the ics with this?
    And my phone is rooted,but can i re-root it?
    Thanks for the new update.......

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2
    Please be aware that other A2 users have had issues with Superuser versions higher than 3.0.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium