Root ZTE Concord

Search This thread

dvkrane

Dec 26, 2012
May I ask where you got the adb drivers for the Concord? I've tried two different Windows 7 computers and they both report that no device exists when I try to access it via adb.

The first time you plug it into your computer and turn on USB Debugging, there should be a CD icon in My Computer that is used to install the adb/usb drivers for the Concord.

Sent from my ZTE V768

e_rocm

Feb 9, 2009
The first time you plug it into your computer and turn on USB Debugging, there should be a CD icon in My Computer that is used to install the adb/usb drivers for the Concord.

Sent from my ZTE V768

Oh awesome, the installer on the virtual cd worked. Thanks! I'll give rooting a crack and let you know if I am successful. To at least free up some space you can use "pm setInstallLocation 2" from the adb shell and move some apps that couldn't previously be moved over to the sd card.

Search Google for "How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)" for more info.
I can't post links yet.

Reactions: dvkrane

dvkrane

Dec 26, 2012
Oh awesome, the installer on the virtual cd worked. Thanks! I'll give rooting a crack and let you know if I am successful. To at least free up some space you can use "pm setInstallLocation 2" from the adb shell and move some apps that couldn't previously be moved over to the sd card.

Search Google for "How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)" for more info.
I can't post links yet.

This is very helpful. I'll do that as soon as I get the chance to. As for rooting, let us know how it turns out. I've tried myself but I'm pretty much stuck. I only hope you have better luck.

Sent from my ZTE V768

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
This is very helpful. I'll do that as soon as I get the chance to. As for rooting, let us know how it turns out. I've tried myself but I'm pretty much stuck. I only hope you have better luck.

Sent from my ZTE V768

http://www.howtogeek.com/114667/how-to-install-android-apps-to-the-sd-card-by-default-move-almost-any-app-to-the-sd-card/ I think this is what e_rocm is referring to. I followed these same steps a few weeks ago. It let me put the Google Voice app on the SD card while before I couldn't. I'm not sure why because I didn't think it was supposed to change permissions just the default location.

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
No luck here

Unfortunately, I've had no luck with this. Any one have any news?

None on my end. I've tried searching out Gingerbread roots for other devices and trying those but haven't had any luck. I tried the LG Esteem Root, the Admire Root, Motofail, Spectrum Root and the Thinkpad Root.

dvkrane

Dec 26, 2012
I don't understand. How could a phone with such outdated software have every known root exploit patched?? It doesn't seem possible. There has to be at least one method that works. I feel as if I was so close with the manually rooting method, so I'm going to try to access the root filesystem on linux without entering download mode.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using xda premium

dvkrane

Dec 26, 2012
Does anyone know if the recovery image is located on the root partition or is it separate?

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
I don't understand. How could a phone with such outdated software have every known root exploit patched?? It doesn't seem possible. There has to be at least one method that works. I feel as if I was so close with the manually rooting method, so I'm going to try to access the root filesystem on linux without entering download mode.

Are you able to get ADB in Linux to detect the Concord? I haven't found out how to. I installed the SDK in 12.04 Lubuntu, followed the general steps here http://forums.androidcentral.com/amazon-kindle-fire/148861-how-enable-adb-kindle-fire-ubuntu-linux.html ran lsusb in terminal to find the info on the Concord and changed the name, idvendor number and idproduct number in the rule, saved it, ran kill-server and start-server and it ran the check for devices and it still came back empty. I tried because I was thinking maybe the Concord would reboot into download mode if it was given a sudo command but I can't check that.

Does anyone know if the recovery image is located on the root partition or is it separate?

I'm not sure if this will help but you can look at root folders with the free app X-plore from the play store.

dvkrane

Dec 26, 2012
Are you able to get ADB in Linux to detect the Concord? I haven't found out how to. I installed the SDK in 12.04 Lubuntu, followed the general steps here http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...-how-enable-adb-kindle-fire-ubuntu-linux.html ran lsusb in terminal to find the info on the Concord and changed the name, idvendor number and idproduct number in the rule, saved it, ran kill-server and start-server and it ran the check for devices and it still came back empty. I tried because I was thinking maybe the Concord would reboot into download mode if it was given a sudo command but I can't check that.

I'll check that out as soon as I get home but I don't think it will work due to the fact that I tried the adb reboot download command in Windows and it rebooted into normal mode. But its worth a try.

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
I'll check that out as soon as I get home but I don't think it will work due to the fact that I tried the adb reboot download command in Windows and it rebooted into normal mode. But its worth a try.

I tried rebooting into download mode on my Windows 7 machine also but it just rebooted normally. My thought though was if I used Linux and tried rebooting into download mode with the sudo command (which I'm sure you already know is the command that lets you run as a root user) would have any effect on successfully rebooting into download mode. Let me know what you do to get ADB to recognize the phone in Linux. Good luck.

lbenson0828

Jan 16, 2013
What I know and a logcat of update 2 days ago

Hello, Im a complete noob and know just enough to brick one already return it and get another.

What I know is far as drivers they are located in the phone under /dev/pcsuite.iso there seem to be hidden files because there is obviously a autorun.inf in there somewhere because it 'autorun's to install the drivers under win8 and wont work in adb with any other drivers. Also I extracted the drivers and it supplies Windows, Linux and mac drivers as well. I have successfully loaded the windows and Linux drivers and used adb but dont own a mac. Using Gingerbreak AND Z4Root, and toggling Bluetooth at the exact same time cracked something and has allowed "es file explorer" to browse the file past sdcard down to root, I could not before, but files still hidden it seems.

Anyway reason for post. I just had an update two days ago and saved a logcat of the event. Idk if it got what you need cause logcat lost phone at reboot but hope someone can use it to root this dang thing. I will say the update deleted ALOT of bloatware and freed up some internal memory. anyway. hope I figure out how to post this file for you.

Also a as inclusive as it would allow a full adb shell pull of my concord.

Hope this helps someone and please remember me if you figure it out. Id love to root this thing.

Attachments

• logcat_accept.txt
    469.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: bepetersn

lbenson0828

Jan 16, 2013
Any help?

Hello, Im a complete noob and know just enough to brick one already return it and get another.

What I know is far as drivers they are located in the phone under /dev/pcsuite.iso there seem to be hidden files because there is obviously a autorun.inf in there somewhere because it 'autorun's to install the drivers under win8 and wont work in adb with any other drivers. Also I extracted the drivers and it supplies Windows, Linux and mac drivers as well. I have successfully loaded the windows and Linux drivers and used adb but dont own a mac. Using Gingerbreak AND Z4Root, and toggling Bluetooth at the exact same time cracked something and has allowed "es file explorer" to browse the file past sdcard down to root, I could not before, but files still hidden it seems.

Anyway reason for post. I just had an update two days ago and saved a logcat of the event. Idk if it got what you need cause logcat lost phone at reboot but hope someone can use it to root this dang thing. I will say the update deleted ALOT of bloatware and freed up some internal memory. anyway. hope I figure out how to post this file for you.

Also a as inclusive as it would allow a full adb shell pull of my concord.

Hope this helps someone and please remember me if you figure it out. Id love to root this thing.

I see a lot of views but no replies and no thanks. Did this not help at all? Just curious.

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
I see a lot of views but no replies and no thanks. Did this not help at all? Just curious.

I've looked at it but I'm more of a newb than you so it's over my head. I was waiting for someone more experienced to check it out. I guess I do have a couple of questions about that post. Was this just a logcat of your attempt to root it with those two programs or am I misunderstanding it? You said an update deleted a lot of the bloatware but what update was it? Were you just talking about the over the air update that was available in the android settings? Also, can you post the Linux drivers? Thanks.

lbenson0828

Jan 16, 2013
No it's of the OTA update.

I've looked at it but I'm more of a newb than you so it's over my head. I was waiting for someone more experienced to check it out. I guess I do have a couple of questions about that post. Was this just a logcat of your attempt to root it with those two programs or am I misunderstanding it? You said an update deleted a lot of the bloatware but what update was it? Were you just talking about the over the air update that was available in the android settings? Also, can you post the Linux drivers? Thanks.

No it is of the OTA update. I've seen on other pages people beg for these so they can download the update. I was hoping someone could use it and get these things rooted. Guess there busy with the real phones. Supply and demand I guess. The OTA update unlocked the bootstrap so that files could be erased and written so I know it's in there some where. But I have been trying to learn the BRCM chipset and I see there is a partition called "security" Im betting the inability to root or have files stick has to do with a NAND security protocol on that partition. Im thinking that previous post on rooting the HTC Evo that they copy and pasted "Concord" to, isnt actually that far off from the answer. Im doing all this trying to not brick my phone as it's my one and only phone.

p.s. I stated I was going to post my adb pull of my phone but I guess the file may be way to big because it wont let me post it. Sorry.

Reactions: bepetersn

lbenson0828

Jan 16, 2013
Concord drivers

Here are the drivers as supplied by the phone it's self. I used winrar to extract them. I just followed the linux instructions on installing the driver. There's no big tado it worked, here I am. But got adb working on it.

Attachments

• PCSUITE.rar
    4.1 MB · Views: 540

iamhdr

Dec 30, 2012
Here are the drivers as supplied by the phone it's self. I used winrar to extract them. I just followed the linux instructions on installing the driver. There's no big tado it worked, here I am. But got adb working on it.

Thanks a lot. Good luck and let me know if you get anywhere. Unfortunately I'm out of my field now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Tutorial you guys have been looking for!!!

I found a way to root my concord and posted a tutorial!

Go HERE
    Rooting Procedure

Requirements and rooting process

• Your pitiable unrooted Android device
    • ADB drivers for your device installed on your pc (I used WinXP. You may use Win 7/Vista or the Linux distro of your choice)
    • su, busybox, Superuser.apk
    • A working linux distro with Nautilus (I used a live usb stick of Ubuntu 11.04)
    • Strength, courage and whatever makes you a man according to Emerson.

Rooting Process

To start, you must have adb installed on the OS of your choice.
    I used my trusty WinXP system.

To confirm your device is properly detected, in the command prompt, run

Code:
    adb devices

Now copy busybox, su, superuser.apk to /data/local/tmp/ using adb.

Code:
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
    adb push su /data/local/tmp
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp

Now run adb shell

Code:
    adb shell

Note that you see a "$" sign in the command prompt. That means you are not rooted.
    Next run the following commands in the shell to change permissions and get some limited privileges for the Superuser files:

Code:
    chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk

Note that the names of the files are case sensitive.

Done?
    Turn off your Android device using the power button.

Now you need to reboot your system into a Linux distro which has Nautilus.
    Android and Linux, having a similar heritage, makes it possible for us to get root access over the Android phone if you are running with root privileges within Linux. I used an Ubuntu 11.04 Live USB disk to save the hassle of installing another os.

When you have booted into Linux, open up terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo nautilus

This would open up the Nautilus file browser with root privileges.

Now put your Android device into Download mode.
    For Spice MI-410/Huawei Ideos X6/CherryMobile Magnum HD/Wellcom A99 the method is to hold down the Volume up button and simultaneously turn on the phone using the power on switch.

Once in download mode, connect the Android device using the microusb cable to the computer.
    Now using the open Nautilus window, navigate to /UserData/local/tmp/ folder and verify that you have the files you sent to the device viz. su, busybox and Superuser.apk

Move/cut-paste su and busybox to /system/bin/ using Nautilus.
    Move/cut-paste Superuser.apk to /system/app/ using Nautilus.

Now pull out the battery from your Android device.
    I swear, this was the most tedious part on my MI-410 which has such a crappy back cover.

Now simply turn on your device.
    You must now have root.

Verify by running:

Code:
    adb shell
    su

You'll note that the "$" prompt will turn into a "#" and you'll be prompted by a Superuser permission notification on your
    device

You have now completed your initiation brethren.
    Welcome to the root club.

OP: www_erodov_com/forums/how-root-any-android-device-manually/43325-page2_html
    Still looking for help, since this phone is relatively inexpensive, there is going to be a lot of them out there. And a lot of people looking to root them. Just hoping someone will give me assistance as this will also be solution for others as well.

Well at least your thread pulls up when running a Google search for rooting this phone. Did you try the CyanogenMod instructions for the ZTE Blade? Thats the only other suggestion I have since I don't own one yet.
    Post back here if you have any luck. I might just get one as a spare.
    Any one have Zte concord Stock rom ?if u have share with me thank's ...
    You could make a titanium backup of the device then in titanium, pull up the menu and choose create update.zip. I only need a backup of the system files if you've already had things installed

I am a real noob to all this smart phone stuff, but after some messing with it, I think I got the system portion backed up through ZIPme. Let me know if it is not what you seek and I will try again.

By the way, this build is from Solavei (hope it still works for you):
    ZTE V768 Concord
    Android version 2.3.7
    Kernel version 2.6.35.7
    Build Solavei-V768V1.0.0B03