f2fs and OmniROM zips

Search This thread

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
I recently switched from ext4 to f2fs file system on all partitions. After that I flashed omni's nightly in order to update and noticed that my /system partition was reverted to ext4 due to the reformat while flashing.

I think it would be helpful if the OmniROM zips contained some sort of check routine, so the file system type could be preserved and future updates are possible without the whole process of backing up, reformatting and restoring again.

I know the file system type depends on kernel support and also the custom recovery must be able to work with it, but I think it's the users responsibility anyway. I mean, either you know what you're doing or you leave it alone, right?

I hope this gets realised or there is some compromise. Currently I'm using latest OmniROM with Devil's recovery and kernel without dualboot.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdstrydom

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I recently switched from ext4 to f2fs file system on all partitions. After that I flashed omni's nightly in order to update and noticed that my /system partition was reverted to ext4 due to the reformat while flashing.

I think it would be helpful if the OmniROM zips contained some sort of check routine, so the file system type could be preserved and future updates are possible without the whole process of backing up, reformatting and restoring again.

I know the file system type depends on kernel support and also the custom recovery must be able to work with it, but I think it's the users responsibility anyway. I mean, either you know what you're doing or you leave it alone, right?

I hope this gets realised or there is some compromise. Currently I'm using latest OmniROM with Devil's recovery and kernel without dualboot.

That's a lot of work and means maintainers then have to officially support testing two different filesystem configurations.

f2fs on /system is pointless since /system is only written to when updating. Even Motorola, one of the first OEMs to actually use f2fs, only uses it for /data

For devices that don't already use it, I'm not transitioning them. It doesn't offer enough performance benefits to compensate for its piss-poor data integrity. A filesystem that can get corrupted to the point of needing a complete format just to get its fsck to run without crashing (this has already happened to me TWICE on the Moto G) is just not ready for production.

Reactions: cyril279 and kl3

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
f2fs on /system is pointless since /system is only written to when updating. Even Motorola, one of the first OEMs to actually use f2fs, only uses it for /data

For devices that don't already use it, I'm not transitioning them. It doesn't offer enough performance benefits to compensate for its piss-poor data integrity. A filesystem that can get corrupted to the point of needing a complete format just to get its fsck to run without crashing (this has already happened to me TWICE on the Moto G) is just not ready for production.
Well, pretty much makes sense. I just updated and let system be ext4 formatted from now on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's a lot of work and means maintainers then have to officially support testing two different filesystem configurations.