[MOD][May 04] GoogleCamX - Changes Vol up/down buttons to zoom keys

Search This thread

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
GoogleCamX

This is a simple Xposed module for the new Google Camera app so that you can use the volume up & down buttons for zooming in and out.
Should work for both Camera mode (front and rear cams) and Video mode. This module should fill the request by @gridironbear

Install/Configuration
  • Install Xposed Framework
  • Activate Xposed app_process
  • Install this module and enable in Xposed Installer
  • Reboot or soft-reset
  • Fire up Google Camera and zoom away

Source
You can find it on my github

Alternate Install
Also available in the xposed repo

Attachments

• GoogleCamX_v1.0.apk
    278.4 KB · Views: 2,634

cramu

Mar 12, 2012
Berlin
That's strange.
I tried XPosed Additions and power button as camera shutter worked but zooming with volume rocker didn't.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
That's strange.
I tried XPosed Additions and power button as camera shutter worked but zooming with volume rocker didn't.

Xposed Additions allows you to remap the keyevents, but I'm not sure if they are per-app settings or system-wide. The Power button event normally gets consumed/handled by the framework and not passed to applications.

I'm just handling the Vol up/down keyevents within the Google Camera app, so if those keypresses are never sent through to the app, my module won't see them.

harland3

Feb 9, 2011
San Diego, CA
Works as advertised on my Nexus 5 with one exception—it doesn't seem to work on Camera mode with HDR+ enabled.

Other than that, which is more of an observation than a gripe, this is an awesome little module. Thanks!

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Works as advertised on my Nexus 5 with one exception—it doesn't seem to work on Camera mode with HDR+ enabled.

Other than that, which is more of an observation than a gripe, this is an awesome little module. Thanks!

Hmm, I don't seem to have an HDR+ option on my One in Google Camera, only HDR; vol zoom still seems to work with it enabled.

Maybe GC is passing it off to the native camera module to enable HDR+.

scuttlefield

Feb 7, 2012
Portland, OR

I'm also having issues on my Nexus 5 in HDR mode. However, when trying to zoom in HDR mode the volume rocker actually acts as a shutter release.

It seems to zoom just fine in all other modes that I tried.

This is using today's update of the Google Camera App.

giorgis91

Sep 24, 2010
Roma
Mmmm instead of zooming when i press volume buttons they take a photo

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I posted a beta release to the xposed repo that will hopefully work for Nexus 5 users trying to zoom in HDR+ mode. I couldn't find any methods that are specific to HDR+ mode, but I did find an onKeyDown that I hadn't replaced yet, so maybe this will be the one. Please give it a try and let me know if it works or not.

poodleDoo

Mar 16, 2012
I just tried on my Nexus5, stock ROM; no go. :(

If I have HDR+ enabled:
Vol Up button caused the Camera app to force close.
Vol Down is actually adjusting sound volume

If I disable HDR+:
Vol Up seems to start zooming in but it caused my phone to reboot.

I had to uninstall it 'cause I have a project on which I need to constantly use the camera.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I just tried on my Nexus5, stock ROM; no go. :(

If I have HDR+ enabled:
Vol Up button caused the Camera app to force close.
Vol Down is actually adjusting sound volume

If I disable HDR+:
Vol Up seems to start zooming in but it caused my phone to reboot.

I had to uninstall it 'cause I have a project on which I need to constantly use the camera.

If you have a chance to pull a logcat of the FC, that might give me some insight into which class I should be focusing on.

Top Liked Posts