Does Towel Root have any potential in the Motorola field?

Search This thread

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I've been reading the Chinaman's unlock thread and it seems he is back... I'm on Republic Wireless and he unlocked my phone easy.. I would say try that and then you basically would have a Dev phone.. Easy root and no write protection.

Sent from my XT1049 using XDA Free mobile app

China Man is definitely back. For me, he doesn't yet have an unlock for my May 27, 2014 X. So hoping that he has that in the coming month or so. Will try again, but in the mean time TowelRoot is definitely a blessing.

Sent from my Moto X

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
How do you guys enter the experimental feature of towelroot? I hit the "make it rain" to root and it says I have root but someone said I had to go into experimental features or something similar. How do I do that?

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
How do you guys enter the experimental feature of towelroot? I hit the "make it rain" to root and it says I have root but someone said I had to go into experimental features or something similar. How do I do that?

Triple tap "Welcome to Towel Root v3". After that change the last number in the string from "0" to "1". Then click "Make it rain". And bam you're rooted. No write privileges, but you're rooted for stuff like Titanium Backup and Root Greenify.

Sent from my Moto X

W

WiredPirate

China Man is definitely back. For me, he doesn't yet have an unlock for my May 27, 2014 X. So hoping that he has that in the coming month or so. Will try again, but in the mean time TowelRoot is definitely a blessing.

Sent from my Moto X

Hooray for Towel Root and ad blocking, the only thing I really wanted root for. :good::victory:

I have read here or there about this middleman, but apparently don't have the search skills I use to have. Can you PM me his contact info (& what info I need to send him) or point me to the post/thread that includes it? Thanks.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Hooray for Towel Root and ad blocking, the only thing I really wanted root for. :good::victory:

I have read here or there about this middleman, but apparently don't have the search skills I use to have. Can you PM me his contact info (& what info I need to send him) or point me to the post/thread that includes it? Thanks.
No need to search or someone PM you. Just visit the General section and scroll through the tread list... trust me, you'll see it.

Sep 7, 2012
So it seems that write protection is gonna give you access to modding your phone. Changing the look of things, adding in PIE, xposed, etc. But with basic root from towelroot, you can do basic things like greenify, ad block, WiFi tether. Just if u reboot, you have to reroot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I can definitely live with the latter since I can't unlock at this point.

Removing write protection allows you to write to they /system partition. You can actually make most changes such as "modding" your phone without this, but in general they may not survive a reboot. PIE is actually a root method that jcase developed for the moto x. It essentially does the same thing as towelroot, but it requires you to be connected to a pc to use it. As someone else alluded to, you can install xposed after rooting with PIE, and it will survive a soft reboot. I haven't tried towelroot, but I would assume the same to be true there. The main problems with this are the lack of wp removal, and the fact that my moto x has a tendancy to crash sometimes immediately following a soft reboot, forcing me to tether and root again. I may try towelroot to see if it works the same. If it is successful, it may be preferable since it doesn't require a pc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can confirm that this does not work. Just tried on my att moto x :(
    I saw somewhere that it doesn't work because of the system write protection on the Moto X, but geohot is looking into finding a way around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I'm on Verizon as well. (4.4.2) It's a bit tedious (should be very easy), but seems to work with Titanium Backup for freezing apps. I'm not even exactly sure how I've gotten it working but here is what I did. I'd love for somebody to chime in and let me know why my "root" has been a bit unreliable.

1. Downloaded and ran TowelRoot. Changed the last number in the string from "0" to "1".
    2. Download SuperSU (Doesn't seem to install correctly, but does seem to (at least temporarily) give root privileges to Titanium Backup and the root options for Greenify.. But here's how..

3. When installing SuperSU I get a notification telling me it fails to install properly. However when I try running a root app and it requests SuperSU root privileges, and I do get a pop up asking. I grant the app privileges. However that app doesn't seem to start correctly... Until after I deleted SuperSU. Then Titanium Backup starts easily and it seems to have root access as I've successfully frozen some apps through this method.

I'm sure that I am getting lucky somehow and either missing a step or two or... I don't even know. After the only restart I have done since, I did the same thing. Towel Root 0 to 1 > Install SuperSU > Doesn't install correctly > Run root app > Grant app privileges > Delete SuperSU > Run app.

Somebody did tell me in a different thread that I need to run PieRoot once and I'll be fine after that. Not exactly sure what he meant by that since I'm unfamiliar with PieRoot, so it's possible that is the necessary step in my method that is missing and causing all sorts of nonsense. If this is indeed the step I'm missing, I'd love precise and exact directions on how to run pie root.

Sent from my Moto X

Same thing I did. SuperSU doesn't seem to work, since it tries to update the SU binary every time you launch it. Just keep it on your device and don't open it. Should work for giving Root access.
    I might be missing something that you are doing then. Even if I keep it on my device but don't open it, it fails to give anything root access. Titanium, for instance, just gets stuck on the requesting root rights screen. If I delete SuperSU though, I'm able to somehow gain root for Titanium. Males no sense to a guy like me who doesn't always understand this kind of thing. Not very technically savvy.

Sent from my Moto X

Remove SuperSU, and try restarting your phone then applying Towelroot with 1 option again, and then check Titanium. I didn't need SuperSU to actually get root access. I only installed it because I wanted the power to deny things.
    ...Somebody did tell me in a different thread that I need to run PieRoot once and I'll be fine after that. Not exactly sure what he meant by that since I'm unfamiliar with PieRoot, so it's possible that is the necessary step in my method that is missing and causing all sorts of nonsense. If this is indeed the step I'm missing, I'd love precise and exact directions on how to run pie root.
    PIE is the exploit/process that JCASE released to Root the X on 4.4.2 a little before Geohot released TowelRoot. Neither address write protection on the X, so there are some limits.

Since PIE was made specifically for the X, it will likely work better, more reliably.

But no matter how you root, if write protection is still enabled (which will be the case if you can't unlock your bootloader), you'll have issues with apps and things that rely on or require write permissions on /system, /system/bin, etc. That is the reason SuperSU is giving you problems.